Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 10:59 AM   #41
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Went and downloaded again and listened to this part again. I was mistaken in saying this was the part where they said "everybody knows." The quote regarding the track was "Nobody really talks about it in public too much, but they're building a tunnel on the backside, what's currently the backside of Belmont Park, on the backstretch - that's not a random occurrence. They're gonna rebuild the grandstand on the other side of the racetrack like the Meadowlands did. That's gonna happen."

Just went back and looked at the pic that classhandicapper posted when construction started - where all the work appears to be happening (in line with what I understood before hearing this) is closer to the NW end of the current grandstand.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's ultimately proposed/ultimately happens. I know I need to get out to Belmont this coming spring to see the grand old lady as she is one more time.
One topic I do vaguely recall is the notion of 2 structures. One for the cooler months and one for the warmer months. I also recall some speculation that the training track would serve as the racing surface in winter with a smaller structure there, but I couldn't find any evidence of these thoughts being officially considered. An interview w/O'Rourke published 12/28/20 in DRF https://www.drf.com/news/orourke-con...ark-grandstand did not mention either and mentioned only a vision of a grandstand that is 1/3 size of the current one. More recent pieces, a sample of which is https://www.drf.com/news/belmont-fal...ovations-begin also make no mention.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.