Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-31-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
GBL

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I appreciate every response.

Besides the obvious concern about 2GB limitation of Access and everything associated with it my overall impression after reading the comments here and going through several online opinions and vides is that I'll be better off with MS SQL Server instead.

Since it would be for my personal use so I see no reason not to take advantage of full-fledged SQL database and rather spend time and efforts to acquire necessary knowledge and skills for SQL Server instead of worrying about problems and challenges I might run into in the future regarding Access.

So, I went ahead and installed SQL Server 2019 for developers along with SSMS and got the first feel of it this afternoon. I think it was beautiful. I was already familiar with basic database and tables tasks so it was almost a no-brainer. Through my little experience with Desktop BI, pandas, and VBA the basic SQL feature like JOIN, MERGE, GROUPBY, nested queries, stored procedures and etc. also looked awful familiar.

Since mine is all-new design and development I can better spend my time designing better database and tables.

As for the front end MS Access is still a possibility but my new development is in Python so I'll continue shopping for the front end. If anyone has any comments about that, I would appreciate it.

I thank everyone again who contributed.
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)