Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

To be honest I enjoy dirt racing. Traditionalist isn't the right word but its close , aesthetics isn't either close again (thesaurus wanted )...

I love polytrack(AWT) for a meet as part of a circuit and also as a solution to poor weather areas (although really bad weather and cold isn't advisable). I love it as a training track.

For now, the surface provides an edge to those handicappers in tune with all factors relating to a surface switch (pedigree,running style...). For now. Of course if it becomes the standard, that edge will in fact disappear. The edge will then possible shift to the few remaining "dirt dinosaurs" in a kind of flipped over reality .

There is currently an edge to be had, but I hate the idea of everything switching over and losing out on some of the brilliant dirt horses and racing.

--------------------------------
Hear are some classic examples of AWT handicapping and there are many more:

Cantabria (Dansili) - Bobby Frankel Filly had the fastest 8.5furlong race of the previous hollywood meet, next race enters in at Santa Anita main track for a mid level california stakes (El Encino Stakes).
Keys - Dansili is a terrible dirt sire (and may well be the best AWT sire) , this horse Cantabria was entered in an effort to get some black type. Even in a 6th horse field there were enough solid allowance level horses in this field to render a Dansili horse little to no chance of winning. Cantabria goes off at a low price, finishes 5th of 6 and gives the handicapper a dream situation of 4 real contenders and a juicy value - $1 payouts of 150 for the trifecta and $50 for the exacta. - Cantabria followed this race with a strong win on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita.

Chatain - Really good dirt horse has never run a slow race and simply explodes in the middle pace. Entered at 9furlongs on the keeneland AWT surface, goes off at heavy favorite with little to no chance of placing. Strong payouts especially for those willing to use trifecta and superfecta pools.
Probably wins next race if well placed on dirt or even at say a 7furlong polytrack distance.

Breeders Cup juvenile fillies 2006 - several contenders had increased value do to the fact their form was "marred" previous race or two over the Keeneland surface.

Starbase (Tale of the cat) - from a top AWT sire with previous success at Keeneland escaped many (including myself) in the Lexington as he was a key to cashing a nice exacta. Observations of the surface and how the key jockeys were riding (scared to lead or want to lead) was a key factor as well.

Breeders Cup Classic 2008 Santa Anita AWT - In 2006 shippers in seek of breeding glory - George Washington and Dillon Thomas(both Danehill) were almost automatic tosses due to their pedigree. Will a Dansili or a Danehill or a Japanese turf star ship in and win our biggest "dirt" race for older horses? Very likely IMO if Santa Anita officials do not carefully moniter/discourage this from happening. (won't say this again $$$)
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.