Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Derby Wars
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

I like Derby Wars, but you have to be willing to sit through 7 to 12 races, watching the odds closely. I don’t often have the time for this with my kids wanting my attention.

I like the winner take all lockdown tournaments. You make all your picks at the beginning and they are locked for the whole contest. When you take a lead, the others can’t guess at longshots to beat you because they can’t change their original picks. Also, the payout for the winner take all is nice. I’ve been winning those at a 33% clip on those 7 people tourneys. I’ll be honest and say that I think 3 of the 7 in those tourneys seem to be t-bred cappers, so being a harness only guy already improves my chances. Also, the lockdowns are nice for me because I drop in my entry and walk away to spend time with family.

The qualifier tourneys aren’t that hard to win. I wouldn’t pay my way into the big tourneys, but I’ll try the quals. I won a qual and the finals for a Sat night $1000 contest on the same night. Final pool was $1500 or so and I got half.

I won my entry to the WHHC finals two weekends ago on Derby Wars. Will be my 5th time at the finals.

I enjoy the survivor contests, but there has to be enough total entries to make it worthwhile. Even so, you want to maximize your number of entries to take top prize. 2nd-10th place aren’t worth winning.

I have only good things to say about Derby Wars. You won’t get the same rush as you would hitting a nice p4 or p5 or tri, but if you specialize on one track, you have a long term advantage over others playing that track.

Based on the picks that some of you guys post, I’m sure you would do well in these contests.
BaconLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement