Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #28
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I agree with your viewpoint. I think it is important to agree on the meaning of terms such as "energy distribution" to avoid misunderstandings.
Energy distribution means exactly what it says. How a horse distributes its energy over the course of the distance run. The most efficient distribution of energy comes with even pace running. This is generally indicated by even sectional times with the exception of splits that are run around a turn since it requires additional energy used in the form of centripetal force to keep from drifting out. Because of this a horse can run a slightly slower split around a turn and still said to be running even pace.

An exception I have noticed to the advantage of even pace running is in dirt sprints. This is likely due to the momentum gained by a faster than optimal early pace in these races which mitigates the fatigue caused by running faster than even pace early. One sees a similar effect in 400 meter races in human Track (equivalent to 6F horse races) where the momentum gained in the first quick 300 meters helps carry the runner's speed through the final 100. As the race distance stretches out from these extended strints the advantage of even pace distribution of energy dominates.

There is also an exception to optimal even pace energy distribution in dirt 6F dirt sprints having to do with slippage, traction and energy return of dirt vs grass and synthetic surfaces which is a bit more complex which I will cover in a later post. These exceptions are still consistent with the laws of physics.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)