Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #12
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Does using a database to try to suck money out of the win and exacta pool also count also socially unproductive? Let's face it, we'd all be better off if a LOT of people that gamble or trade very actively on markets used their gifts in other ways, but 9:00 - 5:00 isn't as much fun.

I had a good friend that was a card counter. He was at the very top of his class at MIT. I made a couple of trips to AC with him. I mimicked his bet sizing but played a more basic solid card strategy. They were profitable trips. But his best stories were about the times he took the bus there and a helicopter back. We made a few trips to Saratoga too. He was quite the horseplayer too. Unfortunately, he passed away very young in a card accident.
Re: First sentence highlighted in blue --

I have a close friend. About once a week over the past 20 years she's figured out a way to tell me - sometimes in a subtle way - other times in a not so subtle way - I should forget about horseracing - move to Silicon Valley - and get a six figure job writing code. Can't say she doesn't have a point. But I'm happy doing what I' doing. So I keep at it.

Re: Second sentence highlighted in blue --

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm assuming you meant car accident. Although I did once have a gun pointed at me after tearing my cards in half during a game where I didn't think things were on the up and up.

I've been in three serious car wrecks. None of them my fault. Last one I was rear-ended by an F150 at highway speed after being stopped by Highway Patrol so tow trucks could clear an existing wreck a few hundred yards further down the road. The front end of the F150 that hit me struck the rear corner of my pickup in a way that lifted the back end of my vehicle off the ground at an angle. My vehicle was sent flying - rotating in midair - landed on the driver's side - bounced, rolled, spun around - and eventually came to a stop completely upside down with the front end facing in the opposite direction.

I was lucky and walked away with only minor injuries.

Re: The original thread topic --

Imo --

Sure, a track can shut off access to specific outlets that offer CRW (Computer Robotic Wagering.)

But tracks can't really do much when it comes to shutting off the players themselves - especially for a multi-race exotic like a pick6.

What's to stop a whale from making an arrangement with a beard for that one wager type?

From a logistics standpoint - the only constraint is the whale and the beard can't use CRW.

What's to stop the whale team from watching the horses for leg one of a pick6 come out onto the track and start going through pre-race warmups?

And from there sending ticket structure based on what is known at the time to the beard a few minutes before post time?

From there the beard would be tasked with submitting tickets correctly before the race goes off.

I'm 100% sure this has happened in the past at tracks who were telling reporters "We don't allow them into our pools."

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-06-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Jeff P is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)