Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Unpopular opinion: Calder was always a boring track with mediocre racing and while I don't want to see anyone unemployed, I won't miss watching or betting it.

Unpopular opinion 2: I don't want Hialeah to come back as a thoroughbred track. Yeah, I know, flamingos and it was great 70 years ago. The last version of Hialeah had ridiculous takeout levels and mediocre racing. I don't miss it, and we don't need more tracks like that. We can spray paint some of the Parx seagulls pink and pretend it's Hialeah if you want that 30% takeout.

Unpopular opinion 3: Let Gulfstream take a break for a bit to build up some interest in their winter meet. Maybe the "summer" meet will suck less if trainers need to run. Maybe Tampa will get some of the excess horses and/or open earlier in the fall to fill the gap.

Stronach fought for 20 years to kill off Hialeah and then Calder, and he won the fight. But has he improved racing in any way in the state? He's only diluted his own brand. I think in retrospect he might be viewed in a more sympathetic light because of his willingness to throw multi-millions at racing at a time when few would, but for those who've watched his actions over the years, he's done more to hurt racing than help it.
Agree with you about Hialeah. Not only do we need less tracks, but outside of a few special cases, the tracks we do need should be modern and comfortable and built to serve contemporary horseplayers and fans.

I get wistful that tracks i have been to no longer run, but the contraction of the industry is necessary.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement