Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #91
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
I'll qualify my somewhat pessimistic comments with the fact that I've been following the game for 30 years, love the game, and it will always be in my blood.

The current situation reminds me of the scene in the movie "As Good as it Gets" when Jack Nicholson says that very line to the people looking to "improve" themselves waiting outside the psychiatrists office. They all look bewildered, as if the thought of things not improving for them never even crossed their mind.

It's very possible that this is as "good as it gets" for racing in the US. Indicators suggest the game will continue to fall precipitously unless dramatic action (voluntary or involuntary) occurs.

I don't believe there are any quick fixes to this issue and also don't believe the blame is to be laid anywhere in particular. The desire to understand the litany of complexities in order to compete in a parimutuel environment is just not desirable to the masses. They have other, less taxing, options. In addition, the cost of owning horses is substantial. If one isn't interested in the wagering, or sport, of horse racing, it's unlikely they'll be involved in the ownership side.

Adding to the problem, the top 10% of the trainers are training the majority of the horses. They may have 10-15 horses that meet a condition but will enter just 1 (maybe 2) in a given race. If those 10-15 horses were spread out to different trainers, many races would have bigger fields.

There are a million ways to attack the crumbling foundation. There are so many holes that it's hard to know where to begin. If I were in charge (whatever that means) I would make forming a National Horse Racing Alliance with a governing body the #1 priority. It has to happen.

It's interesting that all of the major sports have a commissioner, and all are prosperous. Boxing draws the most direct parallel to horse racing, without centralized authority. Interestingly, both boxing and horse racing dominated newspapers in the '50's and '60's, and now both struggle to find a modicum of coverage.

In my opinion, it's rather simple. Without unified leadership and track participation, the game will continue to erode to unthinkable depths. Major tracks, beyond Hollywood Park, will start to shutter. If de-coupling happens, where tracks aren't buoyed by slot money, we could be looking at days, not months/years, before we see major venues go away. When that starts happening, it could have a domino effect.

I once thought the idea of horse racing gone completely was absurd. I felt there would always be major racing, and the minor racing would come and go. Sadly, there is a path to extinction and it appears US racing is on it.
I have for a long time advocated for a national racing alliance. One governing body for all tracks that wish to participate.
With that said.....
I will lay out what I believe to be the major roadblocks
1. The individual state's governments would need assurances that any revenue stream from PM wagering and taxes will continue.
2. Horsemen's associations and BPA's have to fall into line. No more pissing contests with tracks and states. No more entry box boycotts. No more shut downs.
3. Track managements would obviously have to sign on as well. They all must get used to not operating on top of each other.
In my opinion one of horse racing's most glaring issues is too many tracks in close geographic proximity operating simultaneously while competing for the same racing stock. The issues seen in the Phila/Wimington market with Parx and Delaware running at each other. Monmouth has gotten killed by NYRA and Delaware.
And to a lesser extent, although they seem to be getting along better Maryland racing has been affected by Delaware and Parx.
4. if one does not exist, The need for a national license for all horsemen, owners, trainers, grooms, and other back stretch personnel is a must.
5 all medication rules must be conforming throughout the alliance.
6. all stewards MUST be members of the alliance. and at any point with a reasonable notice, can be assigned to another track or even another state. i think moving officials about creates an image of integrity. This would at least offer the perception that the officials are not getting too 'cozy'....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)