Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
Got back to Laurel today for the first time in five years, also the first time since the "renovations".

I have to say I was left wanting a little more.

Not sure where all this money is going. They have plenty of brand new tv screens and a nice simulcast set up downstairs in both the grandstand and clubhouse but I'm afraid that's all people are referring to when they are mentioning the upgrades.

The entire upstairs seating is a ghost town and the old clubhouse dining is shutdown, without any progress of construction.

The exterior of the building looks the same as it did 20 years ago I'm sure.

People are calling for this place to hold a Breeders' Cup. They're so far from that its unimaginable not including parking and lodging.

I will say the overall product of Maryland racing is much better off than five years ago but I'm not seeing much difference between Pimlico and Laurel tracks or neighborhoods. I actually prefer pimlico for actual live racing. Really hope they don't make the mistake of getting rid of the Baltimore track on the strength of Laurel. I think people forget Laurel isn't far from Pimlico in age.

I say keep both tracks but let's see some more progress with this tens of millions supposedly earmarked for capital improvements and use it to show Pimlico some love as well.
1. I have been to both tracks. I love Laurel. I think its setting has a natural beauty that Pimlico (an urban racetrack) lacks.

2. I agree the "renovations" at Laurel are nothing special.

3. I also agree that Laurel is nowhere near hosting a Breeders' Cup. It would need a complete remodel a la Arlington in the late 1980's.

4. But I do think Laurel is the future of Maryland racing. There's basically nothing that can be done with Pimlico. It is boxed in. It is expensive to operate. It only makes money two days a year. It's in a bad location.

If they did want to spend the money, it is possible to make Laurel into a really great track, one that could host the Preakness as well as the Breeders' Cup. There's no hope for Pimlico at all.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)