Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: RENTS?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 02:26 PM   #36
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Our venture into rental properties lasted less than 9 months. Sold them all in 2020. "Pride of ownership " is real. Most renters treat their homes as a temporary arrangement and it showed

I don't understand WHY someone of adult age wouldn't own a home. Medical conditions, just divorced, I can see the temporary need. But to place your financial health in a landlord's hands is too risky imo

Just divorced my friend and I rented a house on a golf course close to the beach in San Clemente Ca. The front was a lot of rock, decorative bark, low maintenance. Weeding still needed to be done. The next door neighbor asked if I did not mind disclosing how much I paid for the place. I told him I was splitting the rent with a friend, that neighborhood was too rich for my blood at the time. The guy told me he never saw a renter pull weeds before.

I was only a landlord myself for 3 years, never again. I was a young home owner and had to move for work, it was the early 80's recession, so I just wanted to have not much of a negative cash flow. I bought the place new and only lived in it myself for less than two years.

Most of my being a renter was houses, if anyone damaged anything I repaired it immediately, and if nickle and dime stuff broke I just fixed it myself told the landlord and took it off the rent. They never asked for receipts. I just usually charged them cost of parts plus pizza and beer. Way cheaper than calling an electrician, plumber, etc.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement