Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: RENTS?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 11:42 PM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Ralph is a shrewd businessman, not likely to lose a dime on a move like that. And at the same time have a level of self insurance his team will be there if he or his wife need or both need some down time. The effort goes unspoken of hours put into a business and the vacations missed.
It was well worth it. He was driving 45-90 minutes to work (Houston traffic) and living in a crap hole. This guy started as a server 5 yrs ago and turned down being promoted after about 2 yrs but eventually I talked him into it. Worked out a unique package for him. He makes about 50k a year in real salary and has several small benefits that are unique to our business. The very low rent with paid utilities is part of that package on top of the 50k. He lives 15 minutes from the restaurant now.

He’s turned out to be the first manager we have had (we’ve owned the business 5+ years now) that can pretty much handle everything. We actually get our days off most of the time now. I went thru 3 other managers over the time it took me to get this guy to accept a managers slot.

My wife works 4 days a week now, but still 50-60 hours a week. But 3 days off makes a huge difference. I work about 10 hours a week in the store (if things are going well) and about 10-15 more in my home office. I’m on the phone with my wife 2-3 times a day for personnel ( I am the HR Guy) issues, ordering things (equipment parts-silverware-to go stuff- motors and chemical supplies etc etc)

There are times of the year when I’m working more doing insurance audits-God forbid Workers comp stuff-insurance claims and lawsuits etc. I also do security related stuff every day. Cameras-police contacts etc. Every other week, payroll for 50 employees. I don’t know about being shrewd……..but I’ve learned to run a business….and we are successful.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)