Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-02-2023, 12:05 AM   #27
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I didn't miss your point but you sure missed mine. Veteran membership here know that you are the self-appointed guru of handicapping. From your posts there has been no evidence that you are but I digress. If you learned nothing from Meadow's book then you have shut off your mind to anything beyond what you already know. Fine by me; your pool money is as good as anyone else's.
You are still pissed from over 10 years ago when I said that the Handifast software was non profitable and even though free would cost you money if you bet its picks. You should learn to let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
For the rest of us who aren't "gurus", the book is a worthwhile read. It's realistic and doesn't propose that there are any magic factors that will lead to riches. As others have posted the data tables are a bit out of date, and if anything, the ROI numbers are probably slightly lower than when the book was published. To me the value of Skeptical Handicapping is Meadow's narrative. Light scoffs at the fact that there are more questions than answers in the book, but most handicappers need to be aware of all the questions. Clearly I am not as gifted as Mr Guru so there were some questions that gave me a better insight into certain handicapping categories. Why not learn from someone who played professionally?
I am not a Guru of anything, I am the student not the teacher.

But I can recognize someone who basically is rehashing everything we all know about handicapping and repackaging it as if it was something innovative.

As far as my qualifications, I finished 10th (after day 1) in the NHC maybe 10 years or so ago. Only now am I getting interested in returning. So maybe I know a little bit about handicapping and am not a total schmuck and can tell a good book about handicapping from a bad one.

Here's a big reason why this book is (pardon my French)...stupid. Meadows says his Father told him "question everything". And Meadows goes on to do just that in his book, hence the name of the book "Skeptical". I followed that philosophy a bit in my youth. The problem is when EVERYTHING is a question mark, reality dissipates and you either have no foundation or a weak one.

If you want to learn something new, which I have yet to learn from Meadows books, do the opposite of what Meadows says. Stop questioning. As any "Guru" would tell you: Wisdom comes from silence.

If you give carte blanche to your mind to question, there is no solution, just endless questions. That's why I say the book is stupid because it promotes endless internal dialogue that only ends up confusing the handicapper more in the end.

When you look at a problem, your consciousness must be fresh and clear, not muddled with endless questions. Because what that does it makes you argue with yourself and a house divided against itself cannot stand.

Stick to a strategy you know works. Meadows has absolutely no strategy he puts forth. He's all over the place with his endless analysis and questioning.

If you disagree with my assessment of the book and you got something from it, more power to you.

Last edited by Light; 03-02-2023 at 12:09 AM.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)