Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 10:19 PM   #24
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
You miss my point. What Meadows is saying is the level I was on as an apprentice in this game. I estimate 99% of all horse players playing more than a year are well aware of of what he is talking about. Its nothing new.
I didn't miss your point but you sure missed mine. Veteran membership here know that you are the self-appointed guru of handicapping. From your posts there has been no evidence that you are but I digress. If you learned nothing from Meadow's book then you have shut off your mind to anything beyond what you already know. Fine by me; your pool money is as good as anyone else's.

For the rest of us who aren't "gurus", the book is a worthwhile read. It's realistic and doesn't propose that there are any magic factors that will lead to riches. As others have posted the data tables are a bit out of date, and if anything, the ROI numbers are probably slightly lower than when the book was published. To me the value of Skeptical Handicapping is Meadow's narrative. Light scoffs at the fact that there are more questions than answers in the book, but most handicappers need to be aware of all the questions. Clearly I am not as gifted as Mr Guru so there were some questions that gave me a better insight into certain handicapping categories. Why not learn from someone who played professionally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
What's the difference between this book and Percentages and Probabilities 2022?
I can't speak of P&P 2022 as I only own the 2012 version, but if the structure is the same then Dave Schwartz and Meadow/Massa looked at the main factors in slightly different ways. Meadow looks at more specific situations based on factors available in HTR, such as different angles for 2TS who won their MSW debut. Schwartz creates tables of more general handicapping categories that have larger sample sizes such as recency and last race gains and losses. Dave measures $NET and Barry uses ROI. Both are very good books in their own right. And P&P 2022 has videos of which I can't speak about as I have not seen them. I've already written that the narrative in the Meadow book might be more valuable than the data tables, especially for those who do their own research.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)