Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Songbird Won
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #38
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Below is a cut and paste taken from the email reply I received from the CHRB and Bill O'Brien of PLUSMIC USA:

Quote:
Re: Photo finish on Breeders'Cup Friday between Songbird and Beholder.

Jeff asks: "was the photo finish camera pointed at the center of the mirror or just to the right of the mirror?"

Answer: The photo finish camera was pointed at the center of the mirror.

Jeff asks: "...[is]camera... regularly checked for calibration...?"

Answer: The camera is mounted on the exact finish line as determined by survey and is visually checked throughout the race day.

Comment: NBC camera is probably twenty yards past the finish line. When a video camera is past the finish line it favors the inside horse; when a video camera is up from the finish line it favors the outside horse.

Technically speaking: The NBC camera is about 30 degrees beyond the plane of the finish line.

Bill O'Brien / President

PLUSMIC USA

It turns out - as I had thought - that the finish line is in fact the center of the mirror.

Apparently, the NBC camera was positioned approximately 20 yards past the finish line - creating an approximate 30 degree angle between it and the center of the mirror.

If true - that would explain (to my satisfaction) the differences between the replay footage and the win photo.

-jp

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)