Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Happened to .......... (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64754)

Track Collector 12-17-2009 01:30 AM

What Happened to ..........

Mr. Robert (Bob) Beck.

This gentleman (who is a retired school-teacher) used to visit Lrl regularly. He was a fellow track collector who was written up in the (local?) paper one time for his high number of track visits. (I believe 210+). At the time of the article, he needed just a few more tracks to have visited all those still around in North America.

Is this fellow still around?

saevena 12-17-2009 12:16 PM

Bob Beck

Bob is a friend of mine, is the biggest racing fan I've ever known, has been to more tracks than anyone I've ever known (and I thought I had been to more than anyone else), and can still be found seated in the 2d floor grandstand area of Laurel. A book could be written about his knowledge of tracks and people connected with racing. There has never and never will be a fan like him.

Track Collector 12-17-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevena
Bob is a friend of mine, is the biggest racing fan I've ever known, has been to more tracks than anyone I've ever known (and I thought I had been to more than anyone else), and can still be found seated in the 2d floor grandstand area of Laurel. A book could be written about his knowledge of tracks and people connected with racing. There has never and never will be a fan like him.

Saevena,

Thank you so much for your reply, and it is great news to hear the Bob is still around! A fellow track collecting friend met Bob a number of years ago at Lrl and had a good time.

Since you too have visited so many tracks, it would be nice to meet you and Bob some day very soon to discuss and trade stories and share experiences! Please send me a p-m if you are interested.

tzipi 12-17-2009 11:30 PM

Where's Chris Lincoln these days?

joanied 12-18-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzipi

I saw him on TV kind of recently, but for the life of me I can't recall who, what, where or when:blush: :faint: :blush: ...I do recall thinking he lost about 150 lbs!!!

tzipi 12-19-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joanied
I saw him on TV kind of recently, but for the life of me I can't recall who, what, where or when:blush: :faint: :blush: ...I do recall thinking he lost about 150 lbs!!!

Cool. Thanks :ThmbUp:

Scanman 12-20-2009 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Track Collector
Mr. Robert (Bob) Beck.

This gentleman (who is a retired school-teacher) used to visit Lrl regularly. He was a fellow track collector who was written up in the (local?) paper one time for his high number of track visits. (I believe 210+). At the time of the article, he needed just a few more tracks to have visited all those still around in North America.

He's only the other person I know that has visited over 200, we would have a lot to talk about.

I visited #273 today at Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia and will visit 4 more before returning to the states after the new year.

My "collection" spans over 36 years and includes racing in 14 countries (thanks to a 20 year Naval career).

I plan to visit #300 at Fairyhouse, Ireland (April 2011) for the Irish Grand National.

Track Collector 12-20-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scanman
He's only the other person I know that has visited over 200, we would have a lot to talk about.

I visited #273 today at Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia and will visit 4 more before returning to the states after the new year.

My "collection" spans over 36 years and includes racing in 14 countries (thanks to a 20 year Naval career).

I plan to visit #300 at Fairyhouse, Ireland (April 2011) for the Irish Grand National.

Hello Scanman,

That's a lot of tracks!! It would be interesting to meet you too sometime when you are back in the states. As for me, I'm at the much smaller total of 104, with the most recent one being Great Falls this past summer. I've limited my visits to the US and Canada, and essentially to thoroughbreds (or at least tracks that run at least one T-B during that race day), so 200+ will be out of the question. Someday I do plan to get that one track in Nevada that runs only mules during the first weekend of June.

Scanman 12-20-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Hello Scanman,

That's a lot of tracks!! It would be interesting to meet you too sometime when you are back in the states. As for me, I'm at the much smaller total of 104, with the most recent one being Great Falls this past summer. I've limited my visits to the US and Canada, and essentially to thoroughbreds (or at least tracks that run at least one T-B during that race day), so 200+ will be out of the question. Someday I do plan to get that one track in Nevada that runs only mules during the first weekend of June.

Hiya Collector,

Yeah, it really kicked into gear at my second duty assingment in Holy Loch, Scotland (45 minutes west of Glasgow). Did 33 of 51 UK tracks (plus one in France and one in Germany) in the 3 years I was there. Also developed a passion for "jump"/steeplechase racing while living there.

Fortuantely, I've had the chance to live/be stationed in Scotland, Australia and Belgium, plus a lot of temporary duty assignments around the US and one Med cruise. Moving about, gave me a great chance to see a lot of diverse racing worldwide (the White Turf in St. Moritz, Switzerland and the strand at Laytown, Ireland). Most of my track visits are overseas. My US total is 102, last being Palm Beach Steeplechase.

Like you, I limit my visits to thoroughbred tracks, but have attened some mixed meets, though the majority of races carded have to be thoroughbred races. I haven't been to Great Falls, but I like the "grassroots" racing too. This summer I was at Kin Park, British Columbia and was at a bush track here in Oz on Saturday at Chinchilla. Great atmosphere at these little venues.

Would be nice to meet you someday. I grew up in Harrisburg, PA and usually make it home for a week in the Spring and Fall. Of course, my first track was Penn National. Next time I head home I'll PM you and see if we can set something up.

Keep racing and if you get the chance, try and "stretch your wings" a bit and go overseas. Unless you're multi-lingual, I would suggest Ireland and the UK and maybe slowly work you way to the continent. Some of the finest tracks you'll ever visit are in France and a few in Germany.

sandpit 12-20-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Hello Scanman,

this is great stuff guys. My late friend Luke Kruytbosch loved visiting obscure tracks whenever he had an off day or two from calling the races. I'm not sure how many he totaled before he passed away, but I remember his number was in the 80s at one point. He always drove everywhere too, so no flights to get to faraway locales. If any of our announcer friends read this, Luke once said that some of his favorite times, though done somewhat reluctantly because he was one of the last guys on earth to flaunt his celebrity, was to call a race as a guest announcer at some bullring in the middle of nowhere.

saevena 12-28-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Mr. Robert (Bob) Beck.

Bob can be reached at (XXX) XXX-XXXX or in the "Dead Zone," 2d Floor grandstand at Laurel, row 5.

jballscalls 12-28-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandpit
this is great stuff guys. My late friend Luke Kruytbosch loved visiting obscure tracks whenever he had an off day or two from calling the races. I'm not sure how many he totaled before he passed away, but I remember his number was in the 80s at one point. He always drove everywhere too, so no flights to get to faraway locales. If any of our announcer friends read this, Luke once said that some of his favorite times, though done somewhat reluctantly because he was one of the last guys on earth to flaunt his celebrity, was to call a race as a guest announcer at some bullring in the middle of nowhere.

I remember meeting for the first time at Churchill Downs and he asked where i was from and I said Seattle and Portland, he told me a story about how he and a girlfriend were driving from phoenix up to Emerald Downs to visit there, and on the way, he stopped at the Salem fairgrounds and took in a day of races. He said he got to a call a race there and wasn't exactly in the most......ummm.....how do i say......clear headed of states, but he said it was a great call and lots of fun. He said in his younger days he used to love to drive around to the little fairs and call races.

Luke was/is the best

boomman 12-28-2009 01:05 PM

Chris Lincoln/Announcing at "out of the way" racetracks

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzipi

My friend Chris Lincoln has indeed lost a lot of weight as evidenced by this photo (good for him). He is back at KTUL in Tulsa, Oklahoma and his partial bio is below. I had numerous opportunities to visit with Chris during my many years at Fair Meadows in Tulsa and can tell you he is a GREAT guy! He also mc'd our opening day ceremonies at Yavapai Downs in May 2001. As for announcing at out of the way racetracks, I share the late Luke Kruytbosch's love of meeting and spending a day with those folks, and have virtually called a race at about every track you've never heard of (including the reference to Great Falls earlier in this thread) and have really enjoyed doing so. Also got a kick out of guest announcing at The Gold Coast Turf Club in Surfers Paradise on the gold coast of Australia back in 1995 and even was able to bring Peter Berry and Michael Wrona a few "trinkets" back from their homeland. :) Boomer

Chris Lincoln </FONT>

http://www.acc-tv.com/images/shim.gif

Chris Lincoln was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1947 and spent his youth on the East Coast while his father was in the Coast Guard.

It was in Warren, Michigan that Chris started his sports career, writing for his high school newspaper and yearbook along with writing for the local Royal Oak Tribune.

While attending the University of Missouri (1965-1970) he was a student assistant in the Sports Information office, a sportswriter for the Columbia Daily Tribune and then a sportscaster at KFRU Radio in Columbia, Missouri. It was there that he did his first play-by-play broadcasting as the “Voice of the Hickman High School Kewpies” along with special reporting on the University of Missouri Sports Network and network cut-ins for ABC Radio.

He started his career as Sports Director at KTUL Channel 8, home of ‘8’s the Place’ in 1974. During that time, he hosted the University of Oklahoma’s national football replay show with Coach Barry Switzer along with shows for Oklahoma State University, the University of Tulsa and Oral Roberts University.

In 1976 he was tabbed by ABC sports as one of the network’s regional college football play-by-play announcers. He would later go on to do college football and basketball play-by-play for ESPN.

Chris left Channel 8, at the end of 1981 to form Winner Communications (now Winnercomm), a television sports production company, with former KTUL salesman, Jim Wilburn. The two built the company into the nation’s largest independently owned sports production company with over 200 employees in Tulsa and another 2,000 independent contractors across the nation. The company annually produces more then 1,000 hours of live and taped sporting events and specials for over a dozen networks. Winnercomm also owns and operates Skycam and Cablecam.

Throughout his 25-years at Winnercomm, Lincoln became known to millions of television viewers around the world as “The Voice of the Thoroughbreds.” From 1982-1998 he hosted thoroughbred and quarter horse races and the weekly “Racehorse Digest” show on ESPN. In 1999 Chris was hired as the global presenter for the World Racing Championship Series. He was the main presenter of the world’s top international thoroughbred races held in nine countries and over four continents.

Lincoln and Wilburn sold a majority of the company to outside investors in February 2006. Since then Lincoln has taken on a new role at Winnercomm, that of Senior Consultant for Special Projects.

In May 2007 Tulsa celebrated Chris’ return to NewsChannel 8 as Executive Sports Director.

For more than four decades Chris Lincoln has been covering sports. Wherever there have been major sporting events to cover, Chris has gone! Logging over 6.6 million miles of travel, he has been to 47 states, and traveled to 16 foreign countries on four continents. During his career Chris’ work has been recognized with a sports “Emmy Award”, an “Eclipse Award” and many other honors from the thoroughbred racing industry as well as multiple “Sprint Awards” from quarter horse racing.

He has done network television play-by-play of over 20 different sports and has been to major sporting events from the Super Bowl, World Series, the Winter and Summer Olympics, Indianapolis 500, the Triple Crown (Kentucky Derby-Preakness and Belmont), The Breeders’ Cup, NCAA & NIT basketball tournaments, World Cup Soccer, golf, tennis, National Finals Rodeo and more.