Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Smallest jockey (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55805)

rumsplash 03-19-2009 01:20 PM

Smallest jockey

Being brought up around Aqueduct ..Does anyone remember Richard Privatera..That was smallest jock I ever saw..

eastie 03-19-2009 01:35 PM

The Little Colonel William Klinke is the smallest I ever saw. If the money was down. you could depend on Billy. His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL.

the little guy 03-19-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumsplash
Being brought up around Aqueduct ..Does anyone remember Richard Privatera..That was smallest jock I ever saw..

I saw the name of the thread and thought of him immediately.

ManeMediaMogul 03-19-2009 03:06 PM

Rick Privatera rode a race for me at Golden Gate or Bay Meadows. He was a tiny guy.

Johnny Adams was pretty small too. When he trained for Glen Hill Farm, he had a five-step staircase built that he used to climb up to get on his pony.

Maryland Owner 03-19-2009 03:27 PM

There was a rider at Charles Town years ago named William Gray - he was quite small.

juanepstein 03-19-2009 04:02 PM

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...vMbxF/610x.jpg
australian jock chris munce is a lilliputian but has ballz the size of watermelons when it comes to racing.

JWBurnie 03-19-2009 05:10 PM

Joe Riston - CT

Joe Riston is the smallest I have ever seen. On certain horses he would walk under (slight nod) rather than going around when tacking up.

BombsAway Bob 03-20-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastie
The Little Colonel William Klinke is the smallest I ever saw. If the money was down. you could depend on Billy. His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL.

Billy Klinke got my one of my "first" Big Trifectas when he ran 3rd in a race at Tampa Bay that was won by Chin Yang @ 30/1 in the mid-90's..I Had to survive an inquiry on the win and a photo won by "The Little Colonel" for show.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Klinke & Vernon Bush that got caught by Police in a "Bolivian Snowstorm" while parked in a car in the fabulous '80s??? :eek:

Bruddah 03-20-2009 01:38 PM

Hey Juanepstein

Thanks for the pictures. Those young ladies make a very fine line up and I wouldn't mind being the jockey for that group. Well, if somebodies gonna do it, Why not the old guy? :lol:

But seriously Juan, you're gonna have to get out of that dark room and away from your computer for awhile. Your other picture shows you are lacking "live" social interaction. :D

Never the less, the girls added a nice moment to my day. :ThmbUp:

Valuist 03-20-2009 02:23 PM

Among guys who get a decent amount of mounts, Eddie Perez comes to mind. And going back a few years, Rick Evans.

mountainman 03-20-2009 03:27 PM

Shoemaker was one of the smallest I've met. And I think his size provided him an advantage. Bigger riders can't perch their weight as far forward over the horse's strong withers as can littler jocks. Tiny guys with good hands and balance get the most run from a horse.

LIH 03-20-2009 06:39 PM

hogwash. Have you watched Ramon Dominquez? NOT a small guy, moves all over an animal like Ned the Coachman, but sure gets run out of a horse. That is because the horses he's riding CAN run. He sure doesn't get in their way, and prevent them from running or winning for that matter. I am not believing that a smaller jockey who can "perch" a certain way is going to win the races RD wins by more lengths getting more run out of one.

juanepstein 03-20-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruddah
Thanks for the pictures. Those young ladies make a very fine line up and I wouldn't mind being the jockey for that group. Well, if somebodies gonna do it, Why not the old guy? :lol:

But seriously Juan, you're gonna have to get out of that dark room and away from your computer for awhile. Your other picture shows you are lacking "live" social interaction. :D

Never the less, the girls added a nice moment to my day. :ThmbUp:

lol,
Carl Brutananadilewski!!!!!!!!!

rules

SaratogaSteve 03-20-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the little guy
I saw the name of the thread and thought of him immediately.

Same here. I seem to remember him getting mounts in some handicap races on horses weighted at 102 & 103 pounds...

boomman 03-21-2009 12:39 AM

Smaller jockeys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valuist
Among guys who get a decent amount of mounts, Eddie Perez comes to mind. And going back a few years, Rick Evans.

You nailed it with Rick Evans, as I worked with him when he was a steward at Albuquerque, and although he certainly had to be one of the smaller riders and came to mind immediately, he is a "big" man in the booth and was great to work with. Also a great guy and had a beer with him at Hawthorne a few years ago after the races. He's still there as a steward as far as I know..........

Boomer