Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board


Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW) (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Extortion Attempt At CDI (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143243)

Augenj 02-09-2018 11:46 AM

Extortion Attempt At CDI
 
I hate giving out my SSN and this is the reason why.

Bitcoin extortion plot targeted Churchill Downs, but prosecutors and company kept it quiet
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ion/319667002/

AltonKelsey 02-09-2018 10:44 PM

No way around using your SS at this time, you might as well refuse to give your name and address.

And 15 months is a slap on the wrist, no?

Augenj 02-10-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltonKelsey (Post 2274453)
No way around using your SS at this time, you might as well refuse to give your name and address.

And 15 months is a slap on the wrist, no?

I think they should only require a SSN when a W-2G is required like when it's needed at the track, either by phone or online. Getting it up front saves them a tiny bit of time, I guess.

And yes, 15 months is a joke. It probably was a plea deal... first time offense, no harm no foul, etc.

toddbowker 02-10-2018 09:06 PM

Well technically speaking, collecting and verifying a US customer's SSN is required by every US jurisdiction as a condition of getting licensed. It's a regulatory requirement, and at least in Oregon, we do get audited for compliance.

It's also required by the Federal government when it comes to anti money laundering issues, specifically filing FinCen reports.

For the customer's benefit, it allows you to get paid instantly whenever you have a "signer". Otherwise your money would be held outside your wagering account until it was sent in. Not to mention, we actually get fined by the IRS if we send in incorrect data on the W2G.

Augenj 02-10-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddbowker (Post 2275040)
Well technically speaking, collecting and verifying a US customer's SSN is required by every US jurisdiction as a condition of getting licensed. It's a regulatory requirement, and at least in Oregon, we do get audited for compliance.

It's also required by the Federal government when it comes to anti money laundering issues, specifically filing FinCen reports.

For the customer's benefit, it allows you to get paid instantly whenever you have a "signer". Otherwise your money would be held outside your wagering account until it was sent in. Not to mention, we actually get fined by the IRS if we send in incorrect data on the W2G.

Your point is well taken. It's just that my SSN is out there one more time in the wild when insecure servers are hacked. They may be secure in the ADWs mindset but not in mine or your average kiddie-script hacker.

AlsoEligible 02-13-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augenj (Post 2275050)
Your point is well taken. It's just that my SSN is out there one more time in the wild when insecure servers are hacked. They may be secure in the ADWs mindset but not in mine or your average kiddie-script hacker.

Should be noted that United Tote / CDI were not hacked. This was a former employee working in their datacenter, who had access to the system and was authorized to view that customer information. Those employees are required to obtain the same jurisdictional licenses (including background checks) as the ADWs themselves. Usually there are also additional layers of security before someone can view SSNs - whether it's manager approval, decrypting databases with private keys/passwords, etc.

The same thing can - and does - happen with people who work for credit bureaus, banks, or even government agencies. If a rogue employee is determined to take that info from an internal system, there's only so much the company can do to prevent it. Although that's not to say that more can't be done.

Definitely get what you're saying; unfortunately having your SSN all over the place is just the reality in today's world. Best you can do is have credit monitoring in place, and if identity theft does occur, jump on it immediately to mitigate the damage.

Augenj 02-13-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlsoEligible (Post 2276180)
Best you can do is have credit monitoring in place, and if identity theft does occur, jump on it immediately to mitigate the damage.

I already had credit monitoring I pay for every month plus I signon to my financial institutions every morning to see if there's any unusual activity. I also have a credit freeze since I don't plan on borrowing anything for awhile.

The problem is that Equifax invited hackers in with their porous security which exposed private information of yours, mine, and every other adult in the country. Thought you had frozen your credit with them? The password they generated could be figured out by a child hacker let alone Russians and Ukranians, the "best" hackers.

I hear the government is trying to figure out a better identifier than a SSN. I'm not holding my breath.

PaceAdvantage 02-14-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlsoEligible (Post 2276180)
Best you can do is have credit monitoring in place, and if identity theft does occur, jump on it immediately to mitigate the damage.

Actually, this isn't quite accurate.

One of the best things you can do is contact all the major credit reporting agencies and tell them to do a CREDIT FREEZE.

This will restrict access to your credit reports...thus anyone who has stolen your identity and tries to open an account in your name will be denied. Of course, you will also be denied if you try to get legitimate credit, until you unfreeze your credit reports.

I've done this with all the major credit reporting agencies...did it all online and didn't take very long.

If you don't anticipate taking out a loan in the near future, it might be something to look into...

More info:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs

molson721 02-20-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augenj (Post 2274075)
I hate giving out my SSN and this is the reason why.

Bitcoin extortion plot targeted Churchill Downs, but prosecutors and company kept it quiet
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ion/319667002/

I am very scared of Bitcoin. When my dental hygienist tells me I might want to invest in it, that sends a loud warning sign. Crypto currency will be coming in the future but when every Tom, Dick and Harry who knows nothing about Bitcoin recommends it, it is time to be scared. This story does nothing to give me confidence in Bitcoin.

Augenj 02-20-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson721 (Post 2279967)
I am very scared of Bitcoin. When my dental hygienist tells me I might want to invest in it, that sends a loud warning sign. Crypto currency will be coming in the future but when every Tom, Dick and Harry who knows nothing about Bitcoin recommends it, it is time to be scared. This story does nothing to give me confidence in Bitcoin.

It looks pretty shakey to me too. Reminds me of gold in the 70's.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How Many Horses
4 to 6 - 2.17%
1 Vote
7 to 9 - 50.00%
23 Votes
10 to 12 - 41.30%
19 Votes
Over 12 - 6.52%
3 Votes
Total Votes: 46
Non-members may not vote on this poll.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.