Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Really important step forward in epigenetics (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163492)

46zilzal 03-06-2021 05:45 PM

Really important step forward in epigenetics

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-new-medicines

quote: In the early 1980s, Channing Der was just beginning his career as a scientist at Harvard Medical School when he happened upon a discovery that would change the course of cancer research. At the time, the holy grail of cancer biology was discovering so-called oncogenes – genetic switches that can turn a normal cell into a cancer cell – in the genomes of tumors. But while teams of scientists had thrown everything at it for the best part of a decade, their efforts had proved fruitless. One by one, they were beginning to accept that it might be a dead end.

davew 03-06-2021 05:50 PM

another Biden promise achieved, cure cancer

thaskalos 03-06-2021 06:23 PM

Cancer is known as the "Emperor of all maladies"...and this heinous disease has caused untold suffering throughout the world for far too long. Hopefully we can discuss the prospects of its eventual cure without feeling obligated to bring our petty political views into the conversation.

boxcar 03-06-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2705756)
Cancer is known as the "Emperor of all maladies"...and this heinous disease has caused untold suffering throughout the world for far too long. Hopefully we can discuss the prospects of its eventual cure without feeling obligated to bring our petty political views into the conversation.

So covid can be politicized to death but no other disease? Why is that?

thaskalos 03-06-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2705762)
So covid can be politicized to death but no other disease? Why is that?

Fine. If it works for you, then you can politicize cancer too. :ThmbUp:

davew 03-06-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2705756)

There are so many different types of cancer, a few may but most will not be cured in our lifetime. There is big money in slow prolonged treatment of many cancers.

46zilzal 03-06-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2705744)
another Biden promise achieved, cure cancer

This has been a hard working effort for a very long time now, with dedicated workers who could give a damn about political influences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Em...f_All_Maladies

I suggest you read it if you ever get the opportunity.

This is an EXCELLENT text both reviewing the history of cancer treatment and the major shift in immunological approaches of last few decades. A good friend (who eventually died of the disease) had his life prolonged almost 10 full years wit one of the newer immunologicals, HERCEPTINE.

Exciting future awaits us

46zilzal 03-06-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2705776)
There are so many different types of cancer, a few may but most will not be cured in our lifetime. There is big money in slow prolonged treatment of many cancers.

You missed the very basic point of this research: There may be an inherent control mechanism, WITHIN OUR GENOME, that once altered, could be a universal treatment for DYSPLASIA, the basic pathological mechanism behind just about all cancers.

Go back and learn some basic pathology

JustRalph 03-06-2021 07:58 PM

I am optimistic they can defeat it in my lifetime.

But I’ve been reading about “huge breakthroughs” for fifty years

davew 03-06-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46zilzal (Post 2705779)
This has been a hard working effort for a very long time now, with dedicated workers who could give a damn about political influences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Em...f_All_Maladies

I suggest you read it if you ever get the opportunity.

This is an EXCELLENT text both reviewing the history of cancer treatment and the major shift in immunological approaches of last few decades. A good friend (who eventually died of the disease) had his life prolonged almost 10 full years wit one of the newer immunologicals, HERCEPTINE.

Exciting future awaits us

it does not matter how long they have been working on something for Biden to take credit for it

boxcar 03-06-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2705765)
Fine. If it works for you, then you can politicize cancer too. :ThmbUp:

I'm not one who has politicized covid. It's your comrades in D.C. who have done that. Yet, you're okay with that, apparently.

Dave Schwartz 03-06-2021 09:18 PM

To think of this as being just about curing cancer would be an error.

I've been following this for quite a while.

A worthwhile read on the topic:
https://www.activemotif.com/blog-rev...epigenetic-age

PaceAdvantage 03-06-2021 09:50 PM

Trust me...the last thing those who "run the world" want...is something that will extend the lifespan of human beings.

Imagine what would happen if people started living significantly longer. Imagine the problems that would create.

If anything...they need the opposite to happen.

tucker6 03-07-2021 06:22 AM

So instead of dying of cancer at 80, I'll get to die of dementia at 82. HUGE win. Just as cancer was not as prevalent in the old days because people didn't live long enough to develop cancer, so too will less cancer cause an increase in other forms of dying. Our bodies only have so long before systematic breakdowns occur.

bobbyb 03-07-2021 08:08 AM

Appreciate the thread 46. I have ordered The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. I 2 am fighting (Stage 1) right now and want to learn more. FYI This is my second go round and it's a bitch; mentally I'm good so I figure the rest will take care of its' self.