Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Computers (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   64? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130118)

Actor 04-05-2016 05:11 PM

64?

Just out of curiosity, without googling it, how many people here know what a Commodore 64 was?

PaceAdvantage 04-05-2016 05:12 PM

Me...never owned one...I was an Atari 800XL kid....

MONEY 04-05-2016 05:38 PM

I owned on in the early 80s.
I used to get online with something called Q-Link.

_______ 04-05-2016 05:43 PM

The signature on my IPhone is "Sent from my Commodore 64".

It was my introduction to computers other than having fiddled around on my brother's TRS 80 (had an actual tape drive).

It was basically a toy that I played games on but I did get a compuserve account and accessed my first bulletin board.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am.

headhawg 04-05-2016 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Me...never owned one...I was an Atari 800XL kid....

I talked my brother into buying an 800. I remember when we first played Pacman on it. It was just like the arcade version! I bought a 1200 when I could afford it. Ah, the good ol' days. :)

Favorite computer was still the Amiga. (Still can't call it a Commodore Amiga.)

As an Atari guy, you must remember this...

Augenj 04-05-2016 06:49 PM

I knew what it was but my first computer was an overpriced TRS-80, a "Trash 80". :D

Track Collector 04-05-2016 08:47 PM

I received a C64 for Christmas one year.

I was a bowling league secretary back in those days, and in conjunction with a software package called LeagueBowl64, I was the first person at our local bowling establishment to calculate and print the weekly bowling statistics using a personal computer.

It sure saved a lot of time over doing things the manual way!

The C64 eventually gave way to a Radio Shack laptop called the LT1400 which I soon was using for handicapping the horses! :)

Ocala Mike 04-06-2016 02:54 AM

I'll go you one better. My son's first computer was a Commodore VIC, then he graduated to a Commodore 64. This was in the early 80's when he was in his teens.

Dad (me) didn't enter into the home computer age until much later, 1996 or so, with an IBM clone that I bought off some nerd.

OTM Al 04-06-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augenj
I knew what it was but my first computer was an overpriced TRS-80, a "Trash 80". :D

Remember those pulp mags that had the games you could program in machine language? You'd spend all afternoon inputting one and invariably there would be a typo and the thing wouldn't work.

PaceAdvantage 04-06-2016 10:40 AM

I had a bunch of computers growing up, as Dad is a bit of a geek like myself...

Let's see...

There was the TIMEX SINCLAIR (remember THAT ONE?) We actually only had that one for a few days and returned it.

Then I believe my very first "real" computer was the TI 99/4A (thank you Mr. Cosby...lol)

Then the Atari 800XL

Then a TANDY PC...an actual 8086-based PC!!

Then I think I bought my first PC on my own...a Micron Pentium-based machine (now known as MPC and now out of business...they spun off from Micron the chip maker).

Then I built my next handful of PCs over the years...and my current PC I did not build...it's an Alienware from Dell...

Ahhh...the fond memories of a Geek... :lol:

Augenj 04-06-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTM Al
Remember those pulp mags that had the games you could program in machine language? You'd spend all afternoon inputting one and invariably there would be a typo and the thing wouldn't work.

I never did that on the TRS-80 but did code machine language (1's and 0's) on other computers in schools. You're right. One wrong 1 or 0 in hundreds of characters and it was toast. Believe it or not, I used COBOL on the TRS-80, the mainframe language that had been downsized for personal computers. Basic also.

OTM Al 04-06-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I had a bunch of computers growing up, as Dad is a bit of a geek like myself...

Let's see...

There was the TIMEX SINCLAIR (remember THAT ONE?) We actually only had that one for a few days and returned it.

Then I believe my very first "real" computer was the TI 99/4A (thank you Mr. Cosby...lol)

Then the Atari 800XL

Then a TANDY PC...an actual 8086-based PC!!

Then I think I bought my first PC on my own...a Micron Pentium-based machine (now known as MPC and now out of business...they spun off from Micron the chip maker).

Then I built my next handful of PCs over the years...and my current PC I did not build...it's an Alienware from Dell...

Ahhh...the fond memories of a Geek... :lol:

A friend's parents had an Apple Lisa. Of course being teenagers we used that cutting edge technology to draw dirty pictures on it.

I got an Alienware now too, basically because I can and building your own isn't the good deal it used to be. Does yours get a little flaky rebooting after updates? Had several times where i had to do a system restore because some update was causing it to lock up.

PaceAdvantage 04-06-2016 10:54 AM

PaceAdvantage 04-06-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTM Al
A friend's parents had an Apple Lisa. Of course being teenagers we used that cutting edge technology to draw dirty pictures on it.

I got an Alienware now too, basically because I can and building your own isn't the good deal it used to be. Does yours get a little flaky rebooting after updates? Had several times where i had to do a system restore because some update was causing it to lock up.

Mine is getting a little long in the tooth (I think it's almost 6yo by now). It's a mammoth machine...the freakin thing weighs, I kid you not, close to 50 lbs.

But the only flakiness I've seen after updates is sometimes Windows Explorer will crash shortly upon reboot after an update.

Inner Dirt 04-06-2016 11:12 AM

My best friend at the time had one, I remember the hard drive was a cassette, what was that 1982?