Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Favorite Racetrack to Spend the Day (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10197)

karlskorner 12-14-2005 11:50 AM

JimG

Forty years ago I spent time at the NY/NJ tracks mentioned above, they were "dumps" then and probabley haven't changed. When Mr. Stronach finishes GP, this whole survey will change. Heading out to CRC, weather is 80 degrees, 7 miles south and I am in the land of milk and honey.

ratpack 12-14-2005 11:56 AM

I love Santa Anita but I go there all the time so I did not vote for it.

I voted for Monmouth Park because I grew up in Asbury Park and I don't get back there that often any longer.

My biggest complaint is that they stopped serving corn on the cob in Aug.

JustRalph 12-14-2005 04:56 PM

Been to Hollywood, Del Mar and Beulah. Went to Sam Houston last month and really liked the facility. Clean, good food and not pricey at all. The Jockey club was great. I think if given the choice..........Sammy would be the place........

cnollfan 12-14-2005 07:42 PM

Canterbury

I like Canterbury, aside from the fact that I can probably keep up with some of the horses. It's got a great balance of a little bit of everything -- nice outside seating, nice inside seating, nice walking ring, good simulcasting area.

Zman179 12-14-2005 09:06 PM

My choice wasn't listed on the poll.

I wanted to vote for "any."

mainardi 12-15-2005 12:45 AM

That Ol' West Coast Bias...

Sorry to say, but here in LA-LA land, it's always such a tough call between SA and Dmr... but I went with Santa Anita because my daughter LOVES the carved turkey sandwiches (and the pickles too :) ), and the fact that I get free clubhouse passes about once a month.

My second vote would go to Del Mar, but for entirely different reasons! ;) I drive to downtown LA (about 30 minutes) and catch the train to Solana Beach, where Del Mar provides FREE shuttles on double-decker English buses. The view -- of both the ocean and the bikini-clad bodies -- is OUTSTANDING. My bartender connection means that I drink all day for the price of a single beer, and then I have the two-hour train ride home to get my wits about me!!! And when I used to do track-sponsored seminars, they pretty much took care of me (except for the beer :( ). Hmmm, maybe I should change my vote!!!

toetoe 12-15-2005 01:29 AM

Mainardi,

My sentiments almost exactly. I prefer SA because DMR gets to be too much on weekends and holidays. I took the DMR shuttle bus once, and a group of 20-somethings got on, with beers all around. When they gave me an imported beer, I just HAD to fall off the wagon for a day. Delightful.

NY BRED 12-15-2005 04:00 AM

favorite tracks

as far as comfort both saratoga and monmouth offer old world charm
unlike the cold concrete structures such as club med, aqu or calder.

for racing, though,no track can truly matchup to saratoga racing
with its competitive and classy fields, and now, at least one stake race
per day.

best time to visit sar: 7am-9am while thoroughbreds work out with
commentary by track hosts.

for those interested, sar does offer backstretch tours including
visits to certain barns, interviews with jockeys when possible

oh yes, if visiting, be sure to bring an umbrella if you intend to
stay for a week or more,as rainstorms there are generally
unlike anything you've ever experienced

Niko 12-15-2005 09:59 PM

Tracks I've been to Arlington, LoneStar, Canterbury, Santa Anita, DelMar, Churchill (only a couple derbies).

Arlingtons a really nice track but I think they have the worst tellers of everyone. They're slow and have an attitude. Breeders Cup 2002 was brutal (well, just pretty bad) and I'll never go back there for that. Weather didn't help

I enjoy my little Canterbury. Many contests, great customer service, competitive & fun races when it's live, REASONABLE Prices-which eliminates DelMar and they make it fun for my non-racing fans who'll come out for some live racing during the summer.

Santa Anita has a great back drop

Bobby 12-15-2005 10:08 PM

OP by far.

BEen to LAD, DED, FG, EVD.

FUGITIVE77 12-19-2005 02:02 AM

Give me fan friendly Hawthorne any day with it’s new handicapping center blended in with the amenities of the Gold Cup room, the cognoscenti give it two big thumbs up. Arlington reminds me of the lyrics from that old Johnny Rivers song, "Secret Agent Man":

Beware of pretty faces that you find

A pretty face can hide an evil mind

AND THAT SAYS IT ALL

fiveouttasix 12-19-2005 12:16 PM

Saratoga by far (my parents live 20 miles from the Track)
Been to Mth, Med, Pha, Aqu , Bel.
Would love to visit OP someday

Bruddah 12-19-2005 03:31 PM

100+ year old tradition

Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ar. has it all. Crisp cool mountain air. A small town spa retreat, with great restaurants and night life. Friendly folks and great horse racing. Now that's the good life!

rrpic6 12-20-2005 06:38 AM

Top Ten Tracks I've been to.

1. Del Mar
2. Keeneland
3. Saratoga
4. Gulfstream
5. Arlington
6. Churchill Downs
7. Woodbine
8. Hollywood Park
9. Fort Erie
10. Beulah Park

The worst track has got to be Pimlico:ThmbDown: . Should be hit with a wrecking ball. You are forced to watch the race on TV monitors at some point as the Clubhouse blocks the view on the 1st turn of Distance races. A huge track with very little room to stand outside to watch it live. Been to Sportsman's and Detroit Race Course, RIP, Atlantic City semi-RIP.

cj's dad 12-20-2005 12:25 PM

cj's dad

[QUOTE

The worst track has got to be Pimlico:ThmbDown: . Should be hit with a wrecking ball. You are forced to watch the race on TV monitors at some point as the Clubhouse blocks the view on the 1st turn of Distance races. A huge track with very little room to stand outside to watch it live. Been to Sportsman's and Detroit Race Course, RIP, Atlantic City semi-RIP.[/QUOTE]

Next time you go to Pimlico, buy a seat to sit outside in the first tier and you will see everything. And also, who cares about the 1st turn anyway ? If something happens there, then you go inside and watch the replay !! And if you think Old Hilltop is the worst, then you haven't been to many !!