Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stronach Group announces ban on race day meds (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150994)

tholl 03-19-2019 04:53 PM

When is the ban on Lasix actually going to start? See entries for Golden Gates this week with Lasix allowed.

bob60566 03-19-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tholl (Post 2442997)
When is the ban on Lasix actually going to start? See entries for Golden Gates this week with Lasix allowed.

I beleive the lasix is to be reduced not banned except for horses born in 2018. ??

tholl 03-19-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob60566 (Post 2442998)
I beleive the lasix is to be reduced not banned except for horses born in 2018. ??

Seems that would be a good way to do it. But was not what Belinda Stronach inferred in her statement? Also, then the Breeders' Cup would not be affected.

chadk66 03-19-2019 06:32 PM

the new whip rules will eventually lead to handicappers having a shit fit

airford1 03-19-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastajenk (Post 2442918)
Are we sure that's accurate? Keeneland's meet is so short that a "spike" would be quite noticeable, and I don't remember anything like that. Turfway, with whom they were associated at the time, did it because of the weather; I think Keeneland did it for the p.r. of getting out ahead of the situation.

I forget Arlington's situation; it may have had a bad stretch before it made a change.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...acing-surfaces
Arlington installs Polytrack after an unprecedented number of fatal breakdowns. I remember similar with keenlands hard surface and inside speed bias at the same time.

rastajenk 03-19-2019 08:21 PM

You might remember it, but nothing in your link makes any reference to it.

dilanesp 03-19-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastajenk (Post 2443051)
You might remember it, but nothing in your link makes any reference to it.

22 horses died on the Arlington dirt in 2006. A 2007 Chicago Tribune article, easily found on google, indicates that the Polytrack was installed because of that.

Spalding No! 03-19-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airford1 (Post 2443017)
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...acing-surfaces
Arlington installs Polytrack after an unprecedented number of fatal breakdowns. I remember similar with keenlands hard surface and inside speed bias at the same time.

Didn't Keeneland own or have a substantial investment in Polytrack?

Actually, Michael Dickinson ended up suing Keeneland after failing to collect from the manufacturers of Polytrack (Martin Collins SF) on a copyright claim because, in fact, Keeneland owned Martin Collins SF.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...ailure-to-pay/

airford1 03-19-2019 09:28 PM

I remember that the synthetic tracks were hailed as the future of the sport by some only to produce higher rate of soft tissue injuries. Made some money when horses that were working on Hollywoods Cushion track would come to Santa Anita. A lot of winners with that angle, but then again they were not on to the Milk shake yet.

airford1 03-19-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spalding No! (Post 2443065)
Didn't Keeneland own or have a substantial investment in Polytrack?

Actually, Michael Dickinson ended up suing Keeneland after failing to collect from the manufacturers of Polytrack (Martin Collins SF) on a copyright claim because, in fact, Keeneland owned Martin Collins SF.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...ailure-to-pay/

At the time I do remember the inside speed bias and fast times at Keenland, cant say they had a larger number of fatal breakdowns. I to thought Synthetics were going to take over. then both Hollywood and Santa Anita tracks lost days from rain and bad drainage. Kickback was an issue too. Everybody was trying to get money back when they went back to dirt. Santa anita base got clogged with silt and wouldn't drain, I wonder if that base is still under the track. Who would of ever thought that we would shut down the race track because of rain in California.

dilanesp 03-19-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airford1 (Post 2443066)
I remember that the synthetic tracks were hailed as the future of the sport by some only to produce higher rate of soft tissue injuries. Made some money when horses that were working on Hollywoods Cushion track would come to Santa Anita. A lot of winners with that angle, but then again they were not on to the Milk shake yet.

I have a particular take on soft tissue injuries, as a litigation lawyer.

In human accidents, soft tissue injuries are where a vast number of fraudulent claims are made. You can't prove anything. If the victim tells a doctor he or she hurts there, and the doctor puts a brace on, boom, you have a soft tissue injury and a $25,000 or more claim.

There were a lot of trainers who hated synthetic tracks, for their own reasons. And, honestly-- and I am going to be very nasty to them-- they really didn't care that much about the fatality rate on dirt, at least in the sense that they would prefer a world where they understand the surface and speed figures work and their horses are bred to run on the surface, to a world where they are dealing with something new and unpredictable, even if that new and unpredictable surface is far safer.

There's no reason we should particularly credit the honesty of horsemen claiming soft tissue injuries. At any rate, even if you did, I'd rather have a racetrack full of treatable soft tissue injuries than a ton of fatal breakdowns. It's a no brainer.

johnhannibalsmith 03-19-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2443071)
I have a particular take on soft tissue injuries, as a litigation lawyer.

In human accidents, soft tissue injuries are where a vast number of fraudulent claims are made. You can't prove anything. If the victim tells a doctor he or she hurts there, and the doctor puts a brace on, boom, you have a soft tissue injury and a $25,000 or more claim.

For real? Trainers are claiming the horses are bowing tendons and blowing suspensories and they be sporting standing wraps around the barn as an act of deception to do away with synthetics? LOL

clicknow 03-20-2019 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Phinney (Post 2440948)
you're basically asking every trainer to start from scratch in their barn learning who can run without lasix.

yes, how awful to make horse trainers know and learn how to manage EIPH in racehorses, like the rest of the world is able to do.

rastajenk 03-20-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airford1 (Post 2443070)
At the time I do remember the inside speed bias and fast times at Keenland, cant say they had a larger number of fatal breakdowns.

That's all I was referring to.

I also remember the moaning and gnashing of teeth by opinion-makers, including Andy Beyer, that the elimination of biases would result in more predictability, lower win payoffs, and a move downwards towards harness racing levels of interest.

dilanesp 03-20-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith (Post 2443093)
For real? Trainers are claiming the horses are bowing tendons and blowing suspensories and they be sporting standing wraps around the barn as an act of deception to do away with synthetics? LOL

For real. Did any of those trainers release the vet records so that these claims could be scientifically documented?

We KNOW about fatalities because tracks log them. Trainers aren't trustworthy.