Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Religion II (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136470)

boxcar 02-20-2017 03:45 PM

Religion II

I dedicate this thread to all skeptics -- Actor, Hcap, Thaskalos, Vig, etc. This is the place to come to learn about true religion and the one true God.

woodtoo 02-20-2017 04:01 PM

It's Back!!!!

johnhannibalsmith 02-20-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar
Before this thread became so huge, there were virtually no problems on this site.

Testing the manual quote functions here so we all know where we left off in Genesis.

woodtoo 02-20-2017 04:35 PM

I missed a lot.:D

boxcar 02-20-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith (Post 2123832)
Testing the manual quote functions here so we all know where we left off in Genesis.

:lol::lol::lol:

VigorsTheGrey 02-20-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2123823)
I dedicate this thread to all skeptics -- Actor, Hcap, Thaskalos, Vig, etc. This is the place to come to learn about true religion and the one true God.

That's great...! You see I have always wanted to belong to a club that DIDN'T want me as a member....;)

boxcar 02-20-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodtoo (Post 2123849)
I missed a lot.:D

Nah...not really. We're just getting warmed up. It only took us 28K+ posts to do it, too. :lol::lol:

Parkview_Pirate 02-20-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2123823)
.... This is the place to come to learn about true religion and the one true God.

Then you've mis-titled the thread - you should have called it "Boxcar's version of Christianity" - 'cause the "Religion I" thread was rarely an open-minded discussion of religion with all your narrow-minded posts....

jk3521 02-20-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate (Post 2123933)
Then you've mis-titled the thread - you should have called it "Boxcar's version of Christianity" - 'cause the "Religion I" thread was rarely an open-minded discussion of religion with all your narrow-minded posts....

:ThmbUp:

boxcar 02-20-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Oh...so I should embrace everyone's version of religion even though all the versions conflict in major points?

And I'm not narrow-minded; I'm critical-minded. :cool:

Greyfox 02-20-2017 07:21 PM

Muslim Terrorism does not exist.

Pope Francis has posted:

"The other is a reflection that I shared at our most recent World Meeting of Popular Movements, and I feel is important to say it again: no people is criminal and no religion is terrorist. Christian terrorism does not exist, Jewish terrorism does not exist, and Muslim terrorism does not exist. They do not exist."

http://w2.vatican.va/content/frances...i-modesto.html

You could have fooled me about those Muslim extremists.

boxcar 02-20-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2123963)
Pope Francis has posted:

"The other is a reflection that I shared at our most recent World Meeting of Popular Movements, and I feel is important to say it again: no people is criminal and no religion is terrorist. Christian terrorism does not exist, Jewish terrorism does not exist, and Muslim terrorism does not exist. They do not exist."

http://w2.vatican.va/content/frances...i-modesto.html

You could have fooled me about those Muslim extremists.

El Papa's head is in the the very deep end of da Nile.

Light 02-20-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2123960)
Oh...so I should embrace everyone's version of religion even though all the versions conflict in major points?

No, you do not have to embrace anyone else's perception of God. You just have to restrain yourself from damning anyone who disagrees with your version of God, to Hell.

HalvOnHorseracing 02-20-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

I was thinking "boxcar Versus the World"

Tom 02-20-2017 10:16 PM

I was hoping that three days after the original was closed, this one would rise........kind of a conversation starter.

Larry 3:16 "I don't care who you are, that's funny!"

TJDave 02-20-2017 10:25 PM

OK, that's funny.

Who's Larry?

Tom 02-20-2017 10:33 PM

The Cable Guy. Git'r done!

TJDave 02-20-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2124056)
The Cable Guy. Git'r done!

Double funny. :lol:

boxcar 02-21-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 2124017)
No, you do not have to embrace anyone else's perception of God. You just have to restrain yourself from damning anyone who disagrees with your version of God, to Hell.

I'm only the messenger. I don't damn anyone; I only pass on Jesus' gospel message -- a message that is a two edge, depending on how it is received.

boxcar 02-21-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing (Post 2124027)
I was thinking "boxcar Versus the World"

That would be no match; for not even the gates of hell can withstand the onslaught of God's church!

VigorsTheGrey 02-21-2017 11:02 AM

When the bible says god is light...is that literal...? How about that god is love...? Is that a metaphor?

boxcar 02-21-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2124196)
When the bible says god is light...is that literal...? How about that god is love...? Is that a metaphor?

Yes, to 1 and no to 2. However, we should refrain from ascribing human emotions to God. His love is not like human love, nor is his hate like human hate. Nor is his anger like human anger, etc.

TJDave 02-21-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2124204)
Yes, to 1 and no to 2. However, we should refrain from ascribing human emotions to God. His love is not like human love, nor is his hate like human hate. Nor is his anger like human anger, etc.

Radar love.

VigorsTheGrey 02-21-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2124204)

Here are interesting websites I ran across....I was wondering what your thoughts were on it, especially on the links between the British Crown, the Vatican, Freemasonry, and the Jesuits....

https://archive.org/stream/MichaelTs...ge/n0/mode/1up

boxcar 02-21-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 2124212)
Radar love.

No...God doesn't love like you either.

Actor 02-21-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

As far as the resurrection, it's the best attested historical fact of antiquity ever recorded!

Quote:

I'll call you and raise you 4.
Josephus, the NT Apocrypha, Tertullian, Justin Martyr, Tacitus

• Josephus. Previously debunked as you acknowledged.
  • NT Apocrypha. Give me a break. Are you seriously trying to sell the idea that NT Apocrypha is not Christian propaganda?
  • Tertullian. Born 155 C.E. could not possibly have attested to the mythical event. Plus, of course, he was on the Christian payroll, undoubtedly indoctrinated and not impartial.
  • Justin Martyr Born 100 C.E. is in the same boat as Tertullian.
  • That leaves Tacitus. Setting the mythicist question aside for the moment and addressing your assertion that the resurrection is “the best attested historical fact of antiquity ever recorded” I must ask where, in all his writings, does Tacitus so much as mention the resurrection?

TJDave 02-21-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2124216)
No...God doesn't love like you either.

Syntax, Boxcar, syntax.

VigorsTheGrey 02-21-2017 11:57 AM

boxcar 02-21-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2124218)
  • Josephus. Previously debunked as you acknowledged.
  • NT Apocrypha. Give me a break. Are you seriously trying to sell the idea that NT Apocrypha is not Christian propaganda?
  • Tertullian. Born 155 C.E. could not possibly have attested to the mythical event. Plus, of course, he was on the Christian payroll, undoubtedly indoctrinated and not impartial.
  • Justin Martyr Born 100 C.E. is in the same boat as Tertullian.
  • That leaves Tacitus. Setting the mythicist question aside for the moment and addressing your assertion that the resurrection is “the best attested historical fact of antiquity ever recorded” I must ask where, in all his writings, does Tacitus so much as mention the resurrection?

Sir, you asked for one extra-biblical source. You didn't qualify your challenge with "extra-biblical, atheistic-sources, or "extra-biblical secular" sources. Nor did you qualify with any date parameters.

But you're right about Tacitus. My bad. I misread something. However, as you know Tacitus did mention Jesus, his death, etc.

boxcar 02-21-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 2124221)
Syntax, Boxcar, syntax.

And what would you know about syntax?

boxcar 02-21-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2124214)
Here are interesting websites I ran across....I was wondering what your thoughts were on it, especially on the links between the British Crown, the Vatican, Freemasonry, and the Jesuits....

I don't have time to read online books. (I have enough of my own backlog of hardcopies.) If you have a point to make, make it as succinctly as you can.

VigorsTheGrey 02-21-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2124251)
I don't have time to read online books. (I have enough of my own backlog of hardcopies.) If you have a point to make, make it as succinctly as you can.

If you don't read other books Boxcar, you'll never get exposed to new ideas...surely you are not one of those narrow minded persons who get all of their viewpoints from one source, are you....?

boxcar 02-21-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2124260)
If you don't read other books Boxcar, you'll never get exposed to new ideas...surely you are not one of those narrow minded persons who get all of their viewpoints from one source, are you....?

If you can't distill your online books into succinct, coherent points in a forum like this, you're wasting your time here. If I stopped to read everything under the sun -- all alternative views -- I would never get a chance to study things of genuine interest to me.

Actor 02-21-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2124245)
Sir, you asked for one extra-biblical source. You didn't qualify your challenge with "extra-biblical, atheistic-sources, or "extra-biblical secular" sources. Nor did you qualify with any date parameters.

Well, duh! Do I really have to spell it out for you? Do you really have to be told that stuff written centuries after the alleged event by authors who do not identify their sources are in no position to attest to the historicity of the event? Do you really expect me to come down to your level of gullibility?

Ok. I'll spell it out for you.
  • Scripture proves nothing.
  • Writings by authors who do not identify their sources, or who cite only sources whose existence cannot be verified, prove nothing.
  • Writings by authors who have a vested interested in perpetuating the myth prove nothing.
You are trying to shift the burden of proof. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The alleged resurrection is a super-extraordinary event and requires super-extraordinary evidence. Your evidence, if you can call it that, is tenuous and flimsy.

You made the claim. You prove it. You come up with evidence that is convincing.

You want "best attested?" Here are a few candidates.
  • The reign of Ramses II.
  • The conquests of Alexander the Great.
  • The measurement of the size of the earth by Eratosthenes.
  • The Second Servile War (i.e., the Spartacus Revolt).
  • The conquests of Julius Caesar.
  • The assassination of Julius Caesar.

VigorsTheGrey 02-21-2017 02:23 PM

From The Irish Origins of Civilization

"1.Judeo-Christianity is an adulterated form of Druidism and Amenism
2. Atonism is the basis for the monotheistic elements of Judeo-Christian Theology
3. Members of the Flavian dynasty of Rome worked closely with leading Jews (Atonists) to establish the Christian religion
4. The so called "jews" who worked alongside the Roman nobility, and who directed their operations, were Atonists. Specifically, they were the leaders of the Order of Melchizedek (Akhenaton)
5. The founder of Atonism was Pharoah Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV). He appears in the Old Testament as Moses
6. Akhenaten's Atonists were members of the Hyksos dynasty of kings and princes..."

boxcar 02-21-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2124285)
Well, duh! Do I really have to spell it out for you?

Yeah, you do because you are so duplicitous, as you have just proved again. Always moving the goalposts.

Quote:

Do you really have to be told that stuff written centuries after the alleged event by authors who do not identify their sources are in no position to attest to the historicity of the event? Do you really expect me to come down to your level of gullibility?

Ok. I'll spell it out for you.
  • Scripture proves nothing.
  • Writings by authors who do not identify their sources, or who cite only sources whose existence cannot be verified, prove nothing.
  • Writings by authors who have a vested interested in perpetuating the myth prove nothing.
You are trying to shift the burden of proof. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The alleged resurrection is a super-extraordinary event and requires super-extraordinary evidence. Your evidence, if you can call it that, is tenuous and flimsy.

You made the claim. You prove it. You come up with evidence that is convincing.

You want "best attested?" Here are a few candidates.
  • The reign of Ramses II.
  • The conquests of Alexander the Great.
  • The measurement of the size of the earth by Eratosthenes.
  • The Second Servile War (i.e., the Spartacus Revolt).
  • The conquests of Julius Caesar.
  • The assassination of Julius Caesar.

Again, Jesus' existence is accepted by most scholars in this world. Some eyewitnesses to his life, death, burial and resurrection actually wrote parts of the NT -- John and Peter. Luke traveled with Paul and had the eyewitness accounts of the apostles Paul met with -- plus other eyewitnesses. Paul also saw the risen Christ and he wrote at least seven epistles. It is also very likely that Matthew is the Jewish tax collector Levi who came to faith in Jesus. (It was very common in the ANE for a person to have two first names!) Mark was very good friends with Peter and undoubtedly drew very much of his material from the apostle, etc.

In short, Jesus' existence is extremely well attested to. It is no wonder that no ancient writer or historian ever disputed his existence. Not even the Christ-hating Jews in the Babylonian Talmud denied his existence. And if anyone didn't want Jesus to exist, it would have been them!

boxcar 02-21-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2124291)
From The Irish Origins of Civilization

"1.Judeo-Christianity is an adulterated form of Druidism and Amenism
2. Atonism is the basis for the monotheistic elements of Judeo-Christian Theology
3. Members of the Flavian dynasty of Rome worked closely with leading Jews (Atonists) to establish the Christian religion
4. The so called "jews" who worked alongside the Roman nobility, and who directed their operations, were Atonists. Specifically, they were the leaders of the Order of Melchizedek (Akhenaton)
5. The founder of Atonism was Pharoah Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV). He appears in the Old Testament as Moses
6. Akhenaten's Atonists were members of the Hyksos dynasty of kings and princes..."

Now...do you actually have a point of substance to make about your talking points above?

VigorsTheGrey 02-21-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2124313)
Now...do you actually have a point of substance to make about your talking points above?

Each one is already a significant point of substance...or don't you understand this...?

TJDave 02-21-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2124327)
Each one is already a significant point of substance...or don't you understand this...?

Nothing having anything to do with religion has a significant point of substance.

boxcar 02-21-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 2124328)
Nothing having anything to do with religion has a significant point of substance.

And so you waste your time in this thread for what reason, specifically? Why not seek important topics out that might provide you with an opportunity to actually make a point of substance for once in your life?