Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Chucky back in Oakland? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142658)

Clocker 01-06-2018 04:46 PM

Chucky back in Oakland?

Fox News is reporting that Jon Gruden is signing with the Raiders in a 10 year, $100 million to be signed Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...r-tuesday.html

barahona44 01-06-2018 09:53 PM

Yes,he coached TB to a Super Bowl championship but that's a lot of moolah for someone who's been out of coaching for almost a decade.I realize the Raiders had to make a big splash given the Vegas move in a couple of years, but I think Oakland will end up regretting this move.As Mike Florio (more or less) said, "How can you trust an owner to find a good coach when he can't even find a good barber?".

Clocker 01-06-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44 (Post 2258092)
Yes,he coached TB to a Super Bowl championship but that's a lot of moolah for someone who's been out of coaching for almost a decade.

Could be a plus. His playbook is so old no one remembers how to defend against it. :p

MutuelClerk 01-06-2018 11:31 PM

Being a Raider fan I want to see Chucky. Not Jon Gruden. I'd like to see that menacing scowl on the sidelines when things aren't going right. I don't wanna see Gruden playing nice with the cameras. This team needs a kick in the ass. Chucky is the man for the job. Jon Gruden ( gone hollywood) isn't.

elysiantraveller 01-07-2018 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutuelClerk (Post 2258123)
Being a Raider fan I want to see Chucky. Not Jon Gruden. I'd like to see that menacing scowl on the sidelines when things aren't going right. I don't wanna see Gruden playing nice with the cameras. This team needs a kick in the ass. Chucky is the man for the job. Jon Gruden ( gone hollywood) isn't.

Very interesting response. Makes perfect sense to me. I've always kind of questioned how good he really is/was. Always hoped he would go to a top flight college program because if he was good he would be a good challenger to Saban. One of the few that could out recruit him based on reputation deserved or undeserved.

burnsy 01-13-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44 (Post 2258092)
Yes,he coached TB to a Super Bowl championship but that's a lot of moolah for someone who's been out of coaching for almost a decade.I realize the Raiders had to make a big splash given the Vegas move in a couple of years, but I think Oakland will end up regretting this move.As Mike Florio (more or less) said, "How can you trust an owner to find a good coach when he can't even find a good barber?".

I agree. This could be a flop and will be surprised if it isn't.

jocko699 01-13-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2258144)
Always hoped he would go to a top flight college program because if he was good he would be a good challenger to Saban.

Just stop!!!!! He could not be in the same league. That isn't even a stretch but a fantasy. There is nothing, I mean NOTHING, that can even give any argument for that statement.

burnsy 01-14-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2261016)
Just stop!!!!! He could not be in the same league. That isn't even a stretch but a fantasy. There is nothing, I mean NOTHING, that can even give any argument for that statement.

Agreed, I still can't figure out how he won at Tampa Bay. Just glad i don't have to listen to his foolishness anymore. I'll stand by my 10 million dollar flop prediction. Nick Saban my ass......:lol:. Well, it made me laugh anyway.......

Valuist 01-22-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsy (Post 2261143)
Agreed, I still can't figure out how he won at Tampa Bay. Just glad i don't have to listen to his foolishness anymore. I'll stand by my 10 million dollar flop prediction. Nick Saban my ass......:lol:. Well, it made me laugh anyway.......

It was Dungy's players. It was a ready made situation. And playing the Raiders in the SB, a team he knew extremely well, was also a big help.

I do think he's a better coach than he is as a broadcaster. But 10 years? Why make that long of a commitment? Head coaching money is all guaranteed.

Robert Fischer 01-22-2018 02:13 PM

Team moving to Vegas and the general media-value that 'Chucky' carries with him.

Phil Jackson didn't do jack to help the Knicks, but they made money on the deal. The Knicks put out a bad product, but NY, ESPN, and the league-wide media ran a million Phil Jackson 'Triangle' articles, and the Knicks are the NBA's most valuable franchise.

Similarly, I can't say whether Magic did much (in terms of strategic management moves) for the Lakers, Dodgers, or Sparks.

I wouldn't be surprised either way if Gruden actually coaches and heavily-influences the team, or if he is more of a 'face' with the opportunity for occasional input.