Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Bad Beat thread. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103720)

Stillriledup 04-28-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tall One
So...nobody saw the 6th at GP today? Figured that might draw some ire as opposed to a race 6 months ago.

No betting interest. Waiting on the 6th at KEE to make sure my longshot finished off the board...

That's a crippling unrecoverable beat for anyone who had that horse. Those are the beats you wake up 10 years later in cold sweats thinking about. They're haunting, these are the type of beats that get people to leave the game for good and yet there's no way for the damaged parties to recover these lost funds. In real life a bettor could sue and win, but for some reason, real life doesn't count in horse racing.

EMD4ME 08-27-2016 08:59 PM

My compliments to the Original Poster of this thread. Great idea :ThmbUp:

Today August 27th, 2016 Race 7.

http://emeralddowns.com/racing/

If the 2 wins, without a stupid dead heat with the chalk, I get an extra $5000-$6000

He dead heated with the BLANKEN ML CHALK, so, as most of you know, it's as if I scratched into the BLANKEN chalk.

Had the pick 4 6 times, Pick 5 2X and more.

Yes, I know, to the photo finish camera and slow mo, it's tighter than it looks but to the naked eye, the 2 stuck the nose down right on the wire.

Minor vent over. Made money at EMD but it should've been much more.

SuperPickle 08-27-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMD4ME
My compliments to the Original Poster of this thread. Great idea :ThmbUp:

Today August 27th, 2016 Race 7.

http://emeralddowns.com/racing/

If the 2 wins, without a stupid dead heat with the chalk, I get an extra $5000-$6000

He dead heated with the BLANKEN ML CHALK, so, as most of you know, it's as if I scratched into the BLANKEN chalk.

Had the pick 4 6 times, Pick 5 2X and more.

Yes, I know, to the photo finish camera and slow mo, it's tighter than it looks but to the naked eye, the 2 stuck the nose down right on the wire.

Minor vent over. Made money at EMD but it should've been much more.

What I want to lodge a claim of foul here. Is a poster complaining on a "bad beat" thread that they dead heated so they chopped the pot?

I'm saying no bad beat here ;) ;) ;) ;)

Can I get a ruling from the stewards?

EMD4ME 08-27-2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPickle
What I want to lodge a claim of foul here. Is a poster complaining on a "bad beat" thread that they dead heated so they chopped the pot?

I'm saying no bad beat here ;) ;) ;) ;)

Can I get a ruling from the stewards?

It is a crushing beat my friend....(it's not chopping) It's let's take 80% of your money.

When you have a price dead heat with a chalk, it's the same as you singling the chalk. It's bone crushing....

I'll never forget Alpha (chalk) dead heating me with a 30/1 in the pick 4. Still not over that and it's been 5 years.

FantasticDan 05-21-2019 03:24 PM

Just had $10 WP on 56/1 Chubby Master for R3 at Thistledown (10/1 ML), horse came flying late and won by a head. Taken down and placed last for impeding a horse along the rail in deep stretch.

Bad beat. :(

Half Smoke 05-21-2019 04:30 PM

many years ago I had just started betting sports and after a while I realized I didn't have enough knowledge to beat sports

I was down a few hundred and I thought I'll find one good bet and get a little profit and get out

so I found what I thought was a great bet - Knicks under for the first half in a playoff game - first in the series - I thought they'd be cold early

so I bet several hundred which was a very big bet for me back then

I was winning - the under was winning by 2 points with one second to go in the first half

the Knicks threw the ball in under the basket - they had the whole length of the court to go

they got it to Mark Jackson at about the top of the other team's key and he heaved it some 60
feet in the air

SWISH!!!

I'll never forget that - and I never feel bad about a beat anymore - you know it's going to happen - the nature of the beast

rexjred 05-21-2019 06:52 PM

Thistle Down Race 3 5/21/2019

:2: 56-1 came in 1st. 2157

:2: drifted into the path of the forcing the :7: rider to steady don't think contact was made nor did I feel it cost the a better placing but stewards didn't want a 56-1 in 1st.

:2: was also congratulated on the screen in the winner circle but official was 1375

Real bad beat for me

pick 3. superfecta. Cost me about 5-7 grand in winnings.

rexjred 05-21-2019 06:54 PM

DGroundhog 05-22-2019 09:02 PM

I talked to a guy who played the PEN/SH5 in the Preakness on Sunday. He bet a $1 straight ticket with the first 4 finishers and Improbable in 5th.

Improbable was nosed out at the wire. There was no winning ticket and the entire $404,000 carried over.

The SFC paid $51,000 so he may have had the only winning PEN/SH5 ticket if Improbable held on for 5th. He didn't play the SFC.

FantasticDan 09-15-2019 01:16 PM

Just had the :7: in the 1st at GP at 42/1. :6: in the lead late, comes out and interferes with the :7: who is flying. :7: gets by him anyway, is now in the clear and should win easily. Instead the :7: ducks in badly and bumps the :6:.

:7: is disqualified from 1st and placed 2nd, :6: is given the win.

Mulerider 09-15-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2518514)
Just had the :7: in the 1st at GP at 42/1. :6: in the lead late, comes out and interferes with the :7: who is flying. :7: gets by him anyway, is now in the clear and should win easily. Instead the :7: ducks in badly and bumps the :6:.

That's painful.

Afleet 09-15-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2518514)

the :7: was going on by on his own and the jockey hits him right handed and he ducks in. Should have just hand road him home. That's brutal

FantasticDan 09-25-2019 06:37 PM

Had the 19/1 :1: in the 5th at Finger Lakes today. The :1: fought the 4/5 :2: for the lead the whole way around, and had put a half length in front in deep stretch. The :1: then drifted out a couple paths and seemed to impede the :5:, who was closing to the outside.

The :1: finished first, but was taken down and placed 2nd.

FantasticDan 10-01-2019 04:08 PM

I wish I could make this shit up.. the only three winners I've had in the last two weeks.. a 42/1 shot, a 19/1 shot, and just now a 16/1 shot at Finger Lakes, have ALL BEEN TAKEN DOWN.

Today is one of the most egregious takedowns I've ever seen. In the 6th at FL, the 16/1 :7: battles the 1/4 :8: in deep stretch. The jock goes to left whip, resulting in some "slight contact" in the words of Tony Calo. The :7: then hand rides to a half length score.

No inquiry, but a jock objection. The head-on repeatedly shows that contact is minimal. Stewards take the :7: down anyway..

What a friggin game. :ThmbDown:

taxicab 10-01-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2524416)
I wish I could make this shit up.. the only three winners I've had in the last two weeks.. a 42/1 shot, a 19/1 shot, and just now a 16/1 shot at Finger Lakes, have ALL BEEN TAKEN DOWN.

Today is one of the most egregious takedowns I've ever seen. In the 6th at FL, the 16/1 :7: battles the 1/4 :8: in deep stretch. The jock goes to left whip, resulting in some "slight contact" in the words of Tony Calo. The :7: then hand rides to a half length score.

No inquiry, but a jock objection. The head-on repeatedly shows that contact is minimal. Stewards take the :7: down anyway..

What a friggin game. :ThmbDown:

I'll give you the best line I ever heard at the race track Dan........."It's like they can see my tickets."

cardinalsfan 04-02-2020 05:02 PM

Today's (4/2/2020) 6th At Oaklawn Park - No Photo????

Everybody, including the cameraman that the numbers 3 won. I thought likely, but was not positive. Then, adding to my frustration, Oaklawn never posted the photo. 🤬Don't see any anywhere on on their website where I can access either. Thoughts from anyone else?

Jeff P 04-02-2020 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Based on race replays, it looks to me like the camera Oaklawn uses for the pan shot is located well above the track surface and is not mounted right on the finish line. As a result, it presents a distorted view of close finishes. It also looks to me like Oaklawn has a separate ground level replay camera that is located closer to the finish line than the pan shot camera. (Maybe Vic will jump in and confirm.)

I took the screenshot below at the 2:34 mark of the race replay while (just now) watching slow motion video of the stretch run taken by the ground level replay camera:

cardinalsfan 04-02-2020 05:46 PM

Thank you for your reply. I think the race could have gone either way. Very confusing with the camera angles they have. Sure would have helped me feel better if they would have taken the time to post the photo, or post the photos on their website. Just a suggestion. Still, love this track!

thespaah 04-02-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalsfan (Post 2581564)
Everybody, including the cameraman that the numbers 3 won. I thought likely, but was not positive. Then, adding to my frustration, Oaklawn never posted the photo. 🤬Don't see any anywhere on on their website where I can access either. Thoughts from anyone else?

check it out....Looks like the order is correct....
https://coadyphotography.com/collect...4-02-20-r06-op

cardinalsfan 04-08-2020 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The racing operations manager from Oaklawn Park was nice enough to send me the photo finish. Yep, the two won. The bigger story here, some tracks still care about their customers!

Fred Mertz 04-08-2020 12:51 AM

Great photo

That's about as close as you can get.

That's why I told our managing partner to buy the horse with the longest nose. ;)

cardinalsfan 04-08-2020 12:58 AM

LOL. Great advice!

Muddy 05-22-2020 07:19 PM

You ever have one go the other way?

Once when I was younger I was running bets for a friend of mine. We were at Hazel park. He wanted a 10 tri key @ Mohawk 4/56 so I go to the window tell the teller I want Mohawk 5th race 10 tri key 4/56. I give her the 20 and start to leave the window but instead I turn back around and say give me a 5.00 key 4/56 I give her the 10 and leave. So we watch the race and lo and behold it comes 456 but doesn't pay much like 15.00 for 2.00. I go back to the window and give her my friends ticket and get back 75.00. I give her my ticket and up pops like 1375 WTF I say? I tell the teller can I see that ticket. She hands it back to me it was for Hazel Park. So when I bet his ticket @ Mohawk paid and turned around to leave and then turned back around and bet my ticket I didn't say Mohawk so the ticket was bet for Hazel park. It came in 456 at Hazel Park and paid like 550 for a 2.00 tri. Still probably down from other bad beats in my lifetime but that day it was my lucky night.

PalaceOfFortLarned 06-26-2022 10:25 AM

Oof. THis one is brutal.

wisconsin 06-26-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned (Post 2813676)

OOOOOF!

Michael 06-27-2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin (Post 2813683)
OOOOOF!

I watched this clip several times and can't make up my mind. Did the horse legit just throw the rider for going to the crop when 10 lengths ahead? or was it the riders fault for going right handed on a horse with blinkers?

Obv, feel for anyone who had their money on that horse... but, there's a part of me that feels that one is the jocky's fault.

cj 06-27-2022 08:36 PM

Of course it was the jockey's fault.

Michael 06-27-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2813935)
Of course it was the jockey's fault.

I guess my point was if the rider went left handed would he have won.... or did the horse just throw him. I couldn't tell if it was the horse or the blinkers that caused the outcome.

$w1fT 06-27-2022 09:32 PM

He didn’t need to use the whip at all. Left handed or right handed. I hope he learned a good lesson.

iamt 06-27-2022 10:07 PM

It was clearly the rider and the whip that caused the problem.

The horse reacted to the first right hand strike ducking towards the rail. Hitting it right handed again was tempting fate.

cj 06-27-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 2813944)
I guess my point was if the rider went left handed would he have won.... or did the horse just throw him. I couldn't tell if it was the horse or the blinkers that caused the outcome.

Why whip at all? The race was over, just hand ride him in.

PalaceOfFortLarned 07-04-2022 09:38 PM

$w1fT 07-04-2022 10:05 PM

After betting Stewart horse in the last at Churchill and the 9 in the last at Belmont I think this thread is calling my name tonight.

CaptainObvious 07-06-2022 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $w1fT (Post 2815451)
After betting Stewart horse in the last at Churchill and the 9 in the last at Belmont I think this thread is calling my name tonight.

Agreed, the Stewart horse cost me a taste of p6.

PalaceOfFortLarned 05-28-2023 10:46 AM

We've all had some bad beats and bad days at the track.

In 10 lifetimes, not sure any of us could experience something like this. :eek:

Inner Dirt 05-28-2023 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned (Post 2880347)

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/s...19999084412928

The second baseman knew what was going on, what were the coaches doing?

PhantomOnTour 05-28-2023 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned (Post 2880347)

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/s...19999084412928

This is unbe-leeeeeeeevable !
:faint: