Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Bad Beat thread. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103720)

EMD4ME 02-09-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menifee
Don't you hedge in that instance? I know it still hurts, but it can make it less painful.

I did. Not too much though. It was only race 7 (2 more after that so the cover becomes less applicable) but I did play a small exacta on 6-9 and a $3 pick 4 cover. Got back $2,000 as 'Insurance'.

Small consolation to $50,000 but better than nothing. As Christ would say, Insanity Insurance.

Only reason I did cover in the Pick 4 was because the 7-6 double was smashed early, middle and late.

dirty moose 02-11-2015 11:56 PM

Nothing worse than bad beating yourself. Well doing it twice in a night is....

$10 win bet in pen 5th. Nice $11.20. Apparently I bet the wrong horse. Awesome.

Playing in the late $300 derby wars contest. Top 3 each get $100
Final race and the top guy is $30 ahead of everyone. Next 4 are tied with $17.80. I'm in 6th with $17.60. At the last second I talk myself off the 7 horse who runs second @ 19-1.... $678 exacta for a buck.

I'm actually most upset I did t get involved in betting the race. The tournament had all my attention....

There's always tomorrow!

Neumeier 02-13-2015 08:56 PM

I'm seriously sick of always being on the wrong sides of inquiries. The last 4 times I was in an inquiry I've been on the wrong side. Yesterday had $100 WP 10-1 shot (6 horse at Fairgrounds) wins for fun, gets placed 4th. Tonight $100 WP 7 at meadowlands 7/2 gets Dqd

Stillriledup 02-14-2015 02:42 PM

UGH

I had the 7 horse in the 5th at Aqu and got an AMAZING bob and didn't win the race clean? Seriously?

They showed the 7 on the tv so i pumped my fist in glee only to 'share' my 'winnings'

Doesn't get worse than this....when you get the 'bob of a lifetime' you're not supposed to share.

Stillriledup 02-14-2015 03:26 PM

Had a 326 and a 236 tri at Laurel in the John B Campbell.

:bang:

That's a tough beat, the 6 was all over the shop looking to lay down and finish 3rd (so i can hit tri) or 4th so i can hit super.

That sucks.

cj 02-14-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Had a 326 and a 236 tri at Laurel in the John B Campbell.

:bang:

That's a tough beat, the 6 was all over the shop looking to lay down and finish 3rd (so i can hit tri) or 4th so i can hit super.

That sucks.

Bad beat or bad ticket structure?

thespaah 02-14-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
UGH

I had the 7 horse in the 5th at Aqu and got an AMAZING bob and didn't win the race clean? Seriously?

They showed the 7 on the tv so i pumped my fist in glee only to 'share' my 'winnings'

Doesn't get worse than this....when you get the 'bob of a lifetime' you're not supposed to share.

DEad heats suck..Especially if one has the horse with the longer odds. You get to watch your $150 exacta get chopped to $60 or whatever....

Robert Fischer 02-14-2015 03:34 PM

They closed the pools for race 8 at parx and the favorite reared up and injured the jockey.
can't cancel the wager :confused:
now she's scratched... and you still can't cancel wagers

i understand that it's snowing, but this was unfortunate

Robert Fischer 02-14-2015 03:39 PM

^well, i lucked out and made 1.35ROI for the race (for the result, not a conservative estimate of what i would have recieved as an overall average, -that would likely be closer to .90 or so).

Still is a tough situation.

Again, I understand that the weather was hard on the people and the visibility.

Also - I hope Inoel Beato is OK, I do not mean to overlook his possible injury there, simply viewing the separate issue of the pool-closing.

Stillriledup 02-14-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
Bad beat or bad ticket structure?

Probably a combo of both. I say bad beat because the 6 made his move at the head of the lane and then was kind of running in place, it LOOKED like the 2 was going to run by him at some point so i got my hopes up, if the 2 runs by and wins, i hit the tri and if the 6 tires and finishes 4th, i hit the super...so i would say this....if i didnt watch the race and just checked the results, it wouldn't have been as bad of a beat...the bad beat comes in by THINKING i was going to hit this thing and then saw the 2 just not be able to get past when it looked like he might...that's the bad beat part of it.

Stillriledup 02-14-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah
DEad heats suck..Especially if one has the horse with the longer odds. You get to watch your $150 exacta get chopped to $60 or whatever....

Sometimes dead heats are amazing but only if you think you lost the photo. If you think you won the photo, its a bad beat.

Stillriledup 02-14-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
They closed the pools for race 8 at parx and the favorite reared up and injured the jockey.
can't cancel the wager :confused:
now she's scratched... and you still can't cancel wagers

i understand that it's snowing, but this was unfortunate

Um, that's Marcy.....and she's known to do this..i bet against her in NY recently and she did some shenanigans at the gate and got late scratched on Jan 25 in the last race, same exact scenario, there's no excuse to lock the pools when Marcy is in the race, this isnt' a random occurance, she's a bad gate actor, they should have known this...if i knew it, why didn't they?

Also, there were probably people who specifically bet against Marcy, i know i did this on Jan 25th and was able to cancel my 'bet againsts' today people weren't so lucky..they probably locked the pools so you couldn't cancel your 'anti marcy' bets.

This is not a hard game if people keep making this stupid horse the favorite.

cj 02-14-2015 04:10 PM

What difference does it make if you can't cancel, you are getting the money back anyway, right?

Stillriledup 02-14-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
What difference does it make if you can't cancel, you are getting the money back anyway, right?

Not if you bet other horses because your edge was that Marcy is a crud.

Robert Fischer 02-14-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj

There's a couple minutes between the time when he reared up and injured the jockey, where you are in 'limbo'... You don't know if the jock is going to try to be tough, and run what is now essentially a dead entry around the track. You also have basically a whole new betting scenario now. It's the favorite and assuming he is scratched that changes the whole race, in terms of betting and the pace setup.

SRU makes a solid point as well, in that if you had bet against a "false favorite" who is now scratched, you have an altered situation.

The jock was injured and they ended up saying that the horse was slightly injured. Wasn't clear whether that was true or whether the jock was injured and the pools were closed and the horses loaded, so they did the best thing at that point and just scratched the horse. (not making light of either injury)

If it wasn't freezing and snowing, I would have liked to see them back everyone out and give the players 3 minutes to re-wager if needed.

It turned out to be fortunate for my small bet. I got a winner that was 8/5?(can't remember) that would have been likely bet down more had everyone re-adjusted to exclude Marcy.