Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Galloping Gale from Kansas (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160581)

summersquall 09-23-2020 10:23 AM

The Galloping Gale from Kansas

Legendary Chicago Bear Gale Sayers has died. One class act. RIP Mr Sayers.

JustRalph 09-23-2020 12:38 PM

JustRalph 09-23-2020 12:40 PM

i loved this guy

greatest cut back in history

Ocala Mike 09-23-2020 01:15 PM

Those of us of a certain age will never forget the depiction of his friendship with Brian Piccolo in the guy-cry movie, ''Brian's Song.'' RIP.

Marshall Bennett 09-23-2020 01:35 PM

Might have been the best running-back ever had injury not cut his time short. Always felt him and OJ had moves far better than all others. Making an open field tackle on either was nearly impossible.
Rest in Peace...tough guy!!

Tor Ekman 09-23-2020 01:41 PM

Sayers is someone I wish had had the benefit of the advances in surgical/reconstructive procedures that came too late for him . . . Joe Willie Namath and Bobby Orr are two others

RIP Mr. Sayers

sammy the sage 09-24-2020 07:15 AM

Met Gale Sayers, Johnny Rodgers and Carl Eller at a celebrity fund raising poker tournament in Reno ....

Mr. Sayers actually put it together....terrific person....:rip:

Johnny was the ham...showing off his GIANT Heisman ring...

and THE purple people eater.....well he played a mean game of poker...very good...

I finished 33rd out of 160 people....best starting hand I ever got was a pair of 7's....Carl was still playing when I exited...

Vinnie 09-24-2020 12:17 PM

When I was probably in the sixth or seventh grade I was at the College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium with my Dad and my brothers. I spotted Gale Sayers who was the Athletic Director for the Univ. of Southern Illinois at the time. I presented my program and asked for an autograph which he openly and generously obliged. He was Awesome!!! :>))

Another quick anecdote. I had a cousin named Denny who unfortunately took ill many years past who lived in Edmond, OK. He was a riot and a phenomenal insurance salesman who could pretty much sell an eskimo ice cubes God rest his soul!! Ha! Hah!! Anyway, when he was a kid in the sixth or seventh grade he played in a children's football league in Omaha called the Robert's Dairy football league with both Gale and Roger Sayers as his teammates. He said (and I just did a little research) that Roger was actually faster than Gale. Roger was one of the fastest guys in the world as he got a little older. Anyway, he (my cousin) said that the biggest argument in the huddle between the two brothers was "Who's touchdown it was on the next carry"! He stated that they always had this argument because literally every time either one of them touched the ball they were so fast and elusive that they would essentially take it to the house every time. Isn't that something. R.I.P. Mr. Gale Sayers. Truly one of the all-time greats!! :>))

JustRalph 09-24-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie (Post 2655542)
When I was probably in the sixth or seventh grade I was at the College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium with my Dad and my brothers. I spotted Gale Sayers who was the Athletic Director for the Univ. of Southern Illinois at the time. I presented my program and asked for an autograph which he openly and generously obliged. He was Awesome!!! :>))

Another quick anecdote. I had a cousin named Denny who unfortunately took ill many years past who lived in Edmond, OK. He was a riot and a phenomenal insurance salesman who could pretty much sell an eskimo ice cubes God rest his soul!! Ha! Hah!! Anyway, when he was a kid in the sixth or seventh grade he played in a children's football league in Omaha called the Robert's Dairy football league with both Gale and Roger Sayers as his teammates. He said (and I just did a little research) that Roger was actually faster than Gale. Roger was one of the fastest guys in the world as he got a little older. Anyway, he (my cousin) said that the biggest argument in the huddle between the two brothers was "Who's touchdown it was on the next carry"! He stated that they always had this argument because literally every time either one of them touched the ball they were so fast and elusive that they would essentially take it to the house every time. Isn't that something. R.I.P. Mr. Gale Sayers. Truly one of the all-time greats!! :>))

This is why this board is pretty cool.......

ElKabong 09-24-2020 03:05 PM

Was my favorite halfback as a kid in grade school. Unbelievable ability to cut and change direction without losing much speed

proximity 09-24-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy the sage (Post 2655491)

I finished 33rd out of 160 people....best starting hand I ever got was a pair of 7's....Carl was still playing when I exited...

at times the poker can be more brutal than the pigskin! :bang: