Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ALUNINUM PADS (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38746)

rolling 08-15-2007 07:55 PM

ALUNINUM PADS

Any fellow handicapper know what aluninum pads are.How do they effect the horse.:confused:

garyoz 08-15-2007 08:22 PM

I am certain that you will get a more precise and technical answer, but when I was a kid I was told by an old timer that it is like running on a sandy beach in combat boots. I have always tossed horses with aluminum pads and it has served me well.

Good4Now 08-15-2007 08:41 PM

Aluminum pads

are actually a sheet of aluminum riveted to the horseshoe BEFORE it is nailed onto the hoof. Sometimes the space between the sole and the aluminum is filled with something, but often is not.
It's purpose is to prevent abrasion from the running surface and usually is more directed at minimizing discomfort ( PAIN in plain language ). Foot soreness is usually the number one problem seen by practicing racetrack Veterinarians when responding to Veterinary surveys.

ponypro 08-15-2007 08:48 PM

I dont know much about them but it was announced the favorite in the last race at Saratoga today he had 1 on today. He should have won his last two races but just wasnt quite right. I think it would be safe to say you arent 100%. The horse that beat him last time repeated at $11
go figure

jotb 08-15-2007 08:55 PM

These shoes are used to relieve pressure from the heel portion of the foot. They aid horses with sore heels, as well as those with navicular disease, broken cofin bones, and bruised frogs.

Joe

Premier Turf Club 08-15-2007 08:58 PM

Aluminum Pads

Aluminum pads are used on horses that have an injury or chronically tender feet. They are NEVER worn by healthy horses. Yes, some horses wear them on a consistent basis but it's because they have consistent foot problems. Aluminum pad on for the first time is a big no-no meaning the horse has a new injury or has aggravated an old one since his last start.

I will never bet a horse with pads. Though they do win sometimes they are always underlays that cannot be expected to perform the way they had in the past. Pads off on the other hand is a good sign and is often correlated with a reversal of form.

Ernie Dahlman 08-15-2007 10:59 PM

shoes

Ian,
Most tracks do not give out information on shoes. They would have to pay somebody. NYRA and New Jersey are exceptions. Ernie

speedking 08-16-2007 12:02 AM

Alum. Pads

They DO win at times. Sar 10th on Saturday. #10 Sense of Speed had 1 aluminum pad on again. Bet down to 5/2 and I tossed out because of pad despite keying him in P3 and DD earlier.

Won easily at $7.70, but this was an exception. They are automatic throwouts for me, but as Ernie mentioned, not many tracks convey this info.

speedking

46zilzal 08-16-2007 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Dahlman
Ian,
Most tracks do not give out information on shoes. They would have to pay somebody. NYRA and New Jersey are exceptions.

Bug the racing office everyday as that information is available to ANY of the horsemen. You would be amazed at what you don't know as a fan versus the horsemen: 'nerved' horses (in some areas are allowed to run if the nerving is below a certain point in the hoof), pregnant mares, horses that have raced at fair meets with purses below the minimum to report in the Form, all of the pools and training tracks around the track, etc.. Stewards lists, vet lists, bleeder's lists. You should DEMAND to see this. Tell them your trainer is thinking about claiming a few horses but won't claim one on your behalf without access to this and they will change their tune.

Years ago, before the Form carried Bute info, I had a contact at a venue where it was allowed. I wondered why so many of our horses did so well there and then returned here and did so poorly. After I had the medication list at the other track I found out why: off bute they crashed. I had two years of that info before the crowds did. It was a great one to eliminate many favorites.

Ernie Dahlman 08-16-2007 07:41 AM

shoes

46zilzal,

Two years ago I called Gulfstream to inquire about their lack of shoe information. I was told that because of the new configuration of the paddock they would have to hire another blacksmith to report the shoes and management did not want to do this. If a horse is wearing a bar shoe or aluminum pad it would not be reported to the public. Ernie

Premier Turf Club 08-16-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Ian,
Most tracks do not give out information on shoes. They would have to pay somebody. NYRA and New Jersey are exceptions. Ernie

Yeah, unfortunately that's true. When I play S. California I use Joe Takach's report which always has that info as Joe makes paddock notes on the horses. Other than that though, you're right it's hit and miss (mostly miss) on whether or not you get the info.

DanG 08-16-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

46zilzal,

Two years ago I called Gulfstream to inquire about their lack of shoe information. I was told that because of the new configuration of the paddock they would have to hire another blacksmith to report the shoes and management did not want to do this. If a horse is wearing a bar shoe or aluminum pad it would not be reported to the public. Ernie

If anyone doubts the impact of pads / bar shoes, since May of 2006 (That I have downloaded charts and extracted shoe data) 1st time pads = 9% wins / $0.40 ROI with virtually zero ties to skew the data.

PS-I: Now I don’t feel so bad concerning making a request through Gulfstream. If Ernie Daulman gets the runaround, there is little hope for the rest of us.

PS-I: Concerning the data, as Ernie said precious few tracks report this important information in real time / or in the charts.