Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is Hollywood Park getting it's Groove Back? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82279)

andymays 04-20-2011 05:00 PM

Is Hollywood Park getting it's Groove Back?

This email went out about 20 minutes ago. I don't expect anyone who is boycotting to change what they're doing but everyone should know that we've attended about 5 industry meetings and these are the first two suggestions that they've implemented.

Hollywood Park appears to be listening to their customers and putting in some customer friendly wagers and policies. The latest example of free past performances from the DRF for their 14% takeout Players Pick 5 is a good example.

They must have a Genius in their Marketing Department to be able to come up
with this stuff. How do they do it? (These are suggestion that rwwupl, Jeff P, and andymays have made at the meetings) LOL

Player's Pick 5

http://hollywoodpark.com/images/2052t.png

New Wager for the 2011 Spring/Summer Meet

Starting Thursday, April 21, the wagering menu offered by Hollywood Park
will include the Player's Pick 5.

The Player's Pick 5, which requires selection of the winners of the first five races, is a 50 cent minimum bet with a 14% takeout, the lowest takeout for a bet on any California race.

For the first two weeks of its meet, Hollywood Park has made arangements with the Daily Racing Form to make past performance information available on its first five races, which comprise the newly introduced Player's Pick 5 wager. The Hollywood Park information will be automatically made available, free of charge, to anyone that downloads past performance information on any track from the Daily Racing Form.

andymays 04-20-2011 05:06 PM

By the way they're going to be reading this thread so let them know how you feel. Both the good and the bad.

turfnsport 04-20-2011 05:15 PM

A reduction of takeout of one wager (Pick 5) hardly makes up for the increase to horseplayers in the other exotic pools.

It's not even close, but they would like you to think it is.

Don't be fooled.

They still need to reduce the takeout in OTHER pools before they will ever see a dime from me.

andymays 04-20-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turfnsport
A reduction of takeout of one wager (Pick 5) hardly makes up for the increase to horseplayers in the other exotic pools.

It's not even close, but they would like you to think it is.

Don't be fooled.

They still need to reduce the takeout in OTHER pools before they will ever see a dime from me.

My guess is that the polling will be about 4-1 on your side.

cj 04-20-2011 05:23 PM

Who cares I say? It isn't value when you have a sh!+ product. Lets not forget they are running on a terrible surface to boot.

jelly 04-20-2011 05:32 PM

Rescind the takeout and then maybe you'll get some of my money.

It's been so long since I bet Cali.that I almost forgot you still had racing.

andymays 04-20-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
Who cares I say? It isn't value when you have a sh!+ product. Lets not forget they are running on a terrible surface to boot.

Hollywood arguable has the best of the three surfaces now. It's half dirt and half cushion.

I can't argue with anyone who doesn't like the product. I would rather bet on a full field of 5k claimers than a field of 5 allowance horses.

andymays 04-20-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly
Rescind the takeout and then maybe you'll get some of my money.

You tell em Jelly. They're looking in at the comments as we speak.

cj 04-20-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymays
Hollywood arguable has the best of the three surfaces now. It's half dirt and half cushion.

I can't argue with anyone who doesn't like the product. I would rather bet on a full field of 5k claimers than a field of 5 allowance horses.

Why is that good? Now you have to bet horses that haven't been on synthetic before, or at least not in a long time. The whole state of SoCal racing is a mess.

andymays 04-20-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
Why is that good? Now you have to bet horses that haven't been on synthetic before, or at least not in a long time. The whole state of SoCal racing is a mess.

and then some.

gm10 04-20-2011 05:47 PM

I am looking forward to Hollywood. A fair and safe surface, and the added dirt-to-synthetic complexity which will probably create betting value. I'm not saying I will definitely find that value but it's nice to know that it's out there.

Jeff P 04-20-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

They must have a Genius in their Marketing Department to be able to come up
with this stuff. How do they do it? (These are suggestion that rwwupl, Jeff P, and andymays have made at the meetings) LOL
Yes. Hollywood Park has implemented some player friendly suggestions. But let's not sugar coat things here. If the industry is reading this they need to know exactly how their actions are seen by the customer.

I have repeatedly told industry decision makers for Cali Racing the following:

Your decision to raise the takeout was a horrible idea. You have created an incredible amount of customer badwill. You have cost yourselves an incredible amount of money so far. Your decision will continue to cost you an incredible amount of money going forward. Your decision is a glaring example to the rest of the world exactly what not to do.

If you want to reverse the trend that you have created, you are going to have to implement extraordinary measures to win back the customer business you have driven away.

Common sense would dictate that the first logical step towards winning back some of the business you have driven away would be for you to rescind the takeout increase that you created.

Anything short of that is just denying reality.

Jeff Platt
President, HANA

HANA New member Sign Up Link:
http://www.jcapper.com/HANA/SignUp/H...m.asp?source=0

andymays 04-20-2011 05:52 PM

I agree with Jeff. Much more needs to be done.

jelly 04-20-2011 05:55 PM

Looks like alot of TOC members are voting. :D

andymays 04-20-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly
Looks like alot of TOC members are voting. :D

I'm a little surprised so far but I'll stick to the 4-1 against.