Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oaklawn's Show Bet Bonus (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142703)

VigorsTheGrey 01-09-2018 03:29 PM

Oaklawn's Show Bet Bonus

"For the second straight year, Oaklawn will be offering the Show Bet Bonus, which makes the easiest wager in racing more profitable and fun for on-track guests only. With this bet, the payoff on show wagers made at Oaklawn will be higher than the payoff on the same show wager made off-track or through ADW services."

So does Oaklawn pump in extra money of their own or do on-track show wagers cannibalize off-site show wagers in order to do this...?

AltonKelsey 01-09-2018 04:32 PM

I'd think they would simply have a lower takeout on the wager on track, which you could call 'pumping it in', or better yet, not pumping it out

All tracks should do this for all wagers.

They would make up the diff in hot dog sales and parking

AndyC 01-09-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltonKelsey (Post 2259195)
I'd think they would simply have a lower takeout on the wager on track, which you could call 'pumping it in', or better yet, not pumping it out

I sincerely doubt that such a promotion would have any effect on either attendance or handle. The primary beneficiaries would be people who are at the track everyday because they work there, own horses, train horses, or just hang out at the track. I don't think that there are too many horseplayers thinking "gosh, if I could just get a 2-5% bonus on my payoffs I would make the trip to the track".

green80 01-09-2018 05:07 PM

Oaklawn increases on track show payouts by reducing their take in the on track show pool. If you compare the payouts it make a nice difference. Oaklawn management says that last year their show handle shows and increase because of this. They also say the overall attendance and handle shows an increase for whatever reason.

VigorsTheGrey 01-09-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltonKelsey (Post 2259195)

Excellent point...

lamboguy 01-09-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green80 (Post 2259206)
Oaklawn increases on track show payouts by reducing their take in the on track show pool. If you compare the payouts it make a nice difference. Oaklawn management says that last year their show handle shows and increase because of this. They also say the overall attendance and handle shows an increase for whatever reason.

some races you get an extra .20 from the reduced takeout and sometimes the reduced takeout brings back another .20 from the breakage. if you are betting show, you are much better off betting at Oaklawn than betting at home with a rebate.

VigorsTheGrey 01-09-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyC (Post 2259205)
I sincerely doubt that such a promotion would have any effect on either attendance or handle. The primary beneficiaries would be people who are at the track everyday because they work there, own horses, train horses, or just hang out at the track. I don't think that there are too many horseplayers thinking "gosh, if I could just get a 2-5% bonus on my payoffs I would make the trip to the track".

I wonder what the average show payout there is...I want to say $3 for each $2 bet but that would be just a guess so 2% to 5% would not be much...maybe they are just giving back the breakage...although Green80 says it is a "nice difference" so maybe it is more...definitely benefits high rollers

biggestal99 01-09-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2259213)
some races you get an extra .20 from the reduced takeout and sometimes the reduced takeout brings back another .20 from the breakage. if you are betting show, you are much better off betting at Oaklawn than betting at home with a rebate.

Not better than the exchange. If you are a show bettor. The x is the way to go.

no breakage.

ALlan

green80 01-09-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2259231)

no breakage.

ALlan

Yes, but the X is not available to most US bettors.

green80 01-09-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2259218)
I wonder what the average show payout there is...I want to say $3 for each $2 bet but that would be just a guess so 2% to 5% would not be much...maybe they are just giving back the breakage...although Green80 says it is a "nice difference" so maybe it is more...definitely benefits high rollers

According to OP, they say that their show pool handle for last year was up 34% over the previous year. I remember the show payouts on track were significantly higher although I can't give you a % at the moment. I will see if anyone list the on track payouts for comparison.

VigorsTheGrey 01-09-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green80 (Post 2259244)
According to OP, they say that their show pool handle for last year was up 34% over the previous year. I remember the show payouts on track were significantly higher although I can't give you a % at the moment. I will see if anyone list the on track payouts for comparison.

I posted last year's replays on the Oaklawn Thread. Following each race, the show bet bonus is shown with the entire results.

It would normally result in a .40 cent increase per $2 wager, with lower odds horses getting a .20 cent and longer odds horses a .60 cent increase generally.

davew 01-09-2018 10:56 PM

some of my biggest anti-bridgejumper scores have came from Oaklawn - do they still have $2.20 minimum?

therussmeister 01-09-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2259231)

no breakage.

ALlan

On the exchange can you get a price such as $8.47? If the answer is no then there is breakage, you just don't know about it.

green80 01-10-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2259305)
I posted last year's replays on the Oaklawn Thread. Following each race, the show bet bonus is shown with the entire results.

It would normally result in a .40 cent increase per $2 wager, with lower odds horses getting a .20 cent and longer odds horses a .60 cent increase generally.

To a show bettor, used to making 10% on his money, another .40 cents is huge.

AndyC 01-10-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green80 (Post 2259353)
To a show bettor, used to making 10% on his money, another .40 cents is huge.

It would be but it doesn't work that way. An offtrack bettor getting $2.20 (10%) won't be getting $2.60 ontrack.