Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who won? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166277)

jameegray1 08-18-2021 09:01 PM

Who won?

1 Attachment(s)
Who won? Click to zoom in.

Wickel 08-18-2021 10:32 PM

Outside, by half a nostril!

P.Rosa 08-18-2021 10:53 PM

That was today's R5. at Evangeline Downs.
While watching the race, I thought that #6 Kiki Kat won easily, but the stewards called it a dead heat with Rockett Magic.
So, it's a dead heat.

PaceAdvantage 08-18-2021 11:02 PM

I could see that being the call...

Elkchester Road 08-19-2021 11:32 AM

Evangeline Downs. No need to go further...

jameegray1 08-19-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Rosa (Post 2747534)
That was today's R5. at Evangeline Downs.
While watching the race, I thought that #6 Kiki Kat won easily, but the stewards called it a dead heat with Rockett Magic.
So, it's a dead heat.

Dead heat is the correct answer!

cj 08-19-2021 04:10 PM

You can't go by that photo, the stewards have much better quality I would hope.

Inner Dirt 08-19-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2747669)
You can't go by that photo, the stewards have much better quality I would hope.

It looks like a old Polaroid.

classhandicapper 08-20-2021 11:09 AM

Is that the Songbird photo? ;)

cj 08-20-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2747683)
It looks like a old Polaroid.

Photo finishes posted online are compressed as I understand it.

cj 08-20-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2747772)
Is that the Songbird photo? ;)

I was literally on the finish line at the rail for that race. I was 100% sure (maybe wishful thinking since I bet her) that Beholder won.

classhandicapper 08-20-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2747793)
I was literally on the finish line at the rail for that race. I was 100% sure (maybe wishful thinking since I bet her) that Beholder won.

It was such a great race by both horses I still get goosebumps when I watch it. Songbird developed less than you would hope from 2-3 and then tailed off later, but what a race!

jameegray1 08-20-2021 08:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Evangeline are dead-heat happy! That's 3 in 3 days so far.

thespaah 08-22-2021 11:58 PM

Those are not the images the Stewards see.
From my understanding, photographic equipment used to record finishes uses a 10k frame per second(FPS) camera which is also High Definition and digitized.

dilanesp 08-29-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2747793)

Worth noting that Collmus, who gets a booth very close to the finish for the BC, called it definitively as Beholder. He had no doubt.

mountainman 08-31-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameegray1 (Post 2747950)
Evangeline are dead-heat happy! That's 3 in 3 days so far.

Decades ago when I worked as a placing judge, I would insist on splitting incredibly tight finishes simply to counter-act my overly conservative fellow judges who considered dead-heat the "safe call." Our photo guy often sided with them by "burying" the lead nostril just enough into the thick, superimposed "finish line" to assure the trail nose likewise appeared on the wire.

Since I had only been an official for a year, or so, my opposition to this practice drew flack from veteran coworkers. But I did put a stop to their crap. Please understand there was no crooked intent on their part. Those guys didn't bet or show favoritism. They merely sought to avoid controversy by making a call they could support with a (slightly altered) photo.

cj 08-31-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2750454)
Worth noting that Collmus, who gets a booth very close to the finish for the BC, called it definitively as Beholder. He had no doubt.

If I remember right, he told me was sweating that one after he made it.

dilanesp 08-31-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2750944)
If I remember right, he told me was sweating that one after he made it.

That's interesting, although I'm not sure the two things are inconsistent. In other words, he sees it as Beholder clearly winning, but then after making the call, even though he was sure of it, he has to contemplate while that photo sign is up the possibility of looking like a doofus on national television. So he got nervous even though he called it as he saw it.

Arapola 08-31-2021 02:02 PM

I STILL think that "The Bart" beat John Henry!::rant:

dilanesp 08-31-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arapola (Post 2750950)
I STILL think that "The Bart" beat John Henry!::rant:

He was a bit ambiguous in his call, but I always thought Phil Georgeff thought so too.

Zman179 09-23-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2750891)
Decades ago when I worked as a placing judge, I would insist on splitting incredibly tight finishes simply to counter-act my overly conservative fellow judges who considered dead-heat the "safe call." Our photo guy often sided with them by "burying" the lead nostril just enough into the thick, superimposed "finish line" to assure the trail nose likewise appeared on the wire.

Since I had only been an official for a year, or so, my opposition to this practice drew flack from veteran coworkers. But I did put a stop to their crap. Please understand there was no crooked intent on their part. Those guys didn't bet or show favoritism. They merely sought to avoid controversy by making a call they could support with a (slightly altered) photo.

Always interesting to hear stories from behind the scenes. :ThmbUp:

wisconsin 09-24-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2750953)
He was a bit ambiguous in his call, but I always thought Phil Georgeff thought so too.

From Phil's book:

"As they hit the wire, I thought perhaps The Bart held on. A second later-my experience taught me to give the outside closing horse a nostril's edge-I felt, no, I knew John Henry had gotten up in the very last stride.

I pleaded with NBC over our communication hookup not to declare The Bart even as "unofficial" winner. "Let's not split 'em", I begged. In effect, they told me to shut up and mind my own business."