Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pegasus Day (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149753)

OverlayHunter 01-09-2019 06:41 PM

Pegasus Day

Kentucky Derby Day and the Breeder's Cup Day are characterized by overstuffed facilities, inflated ticket prices, restriction of movement around the tracks, and almost all tickets pre-sold.

The Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland gets a very good crowd but not much (if any) in the way of restrictions to normal access around the track and it has normal ticket prices.

Could someone please share where Pegasus Day falls on this spectrum?

elhelmete 01-09-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlayHunter (Post 2416280)
Kentucky Derby Day and the Breeder's Cup Day are characterized by overstuffed facilities, inflated ticket prices, restriction of movement around the tracks, and almost all tickets pre-sold.

The Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland gets a very good crowd but not much (if any) in the way of restrictions to normal access around the track and it has normal ticket prices.

Could someone please share where Pegasus Day falls on this spectrum?

According to my dad, who's at GP quite a bit throughout the year (as a horseplayer and an owner) they're charging usurious prices for tickets.

OverlayHunter 01-10-2019 12:29 PM

Thanks, elhelmete. I should have checked GP's site. I could probably live with the $60 for the apron (the least expensive tickets) but it's standing room only and that won't work for us and, I suspect, you're pretty much limited to that area because it sounds like they are charging a premium to be a permitted into the paddock area. Definitely too constraining and uncomfortable for us.

elhelmete 01-10-2019 12:36 PM

My dad said they want $500 for a stool at the bar in the place that used to be Christine Lee's. Not near the window, either.

wisconsin 01-10-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlayHunter (Post 2416564)
Thanks, elhelmete. I should have checked GP's site. I could probably live with the $60 for the apron (the least expensive tickets) but it's standing room only and that won't work for us and, I suspect, you're pretty much limited to that area because it sounds like they are charging a premium to be a permitted into the paddock area. Definitely too constraining and uncomfortable for us.

Well, their is no "paddock" access, so you must mean those seats around the walking ring for $110 :faint:

OverlayHunter 01-10-2019 12:46 PM

I just looked at the site, Wisconsin, and you are correct. They use the expression "Walking Ring".

Either way, part of our enjoyment at the track comes from being able to move around to various locations at various times for a multitude of reasons. We may visit GP other days but we won't be going for the Pegasus.

elhelmete 01-10-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlayHunter (Post 2416580)
I just looked at the site, Wisconsin, and you are correct. They use the expression "Walking Ring".

Either way, part of our enjoyment at the track comes from being able to move around to various locations at various times for a multitude of reasons. We may visit GP other days but we won't be going for the Pegasus.

I completely feel the same way, I love wandering around all day long on big days like that.

My dad and I (along with a few others) went to Santa Anita for BC2009 and had prime tickets and with that we were able to walk pretty much wherever we wanted when we weren't in our box.

We went again in 2012 with the same tickets and that ability was gone. A bunch of areas were sectioned off with separate ticketing.

I sort of understood, but it made for an uncomfortable day.

biggestal99 01-10-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhelmete (Post 2416585)

My dad and I (along with a few others) went to Santa Anita for BC2009 and had prime tickets and with that we were able to walk pretty much wherever we wanted when we weren't in our box.

ah the bygone time of simpler times.

Back in the day went to the Belmont and it cost a thin buck to get in.

as you said the 2008 and 2009 BCs at SA were things of beauty. didnt even need a seat. just go down to the apron and find a spot.

However things change and were the GA rabble used to gather. the hoity toity now gather and get charged an arm and a leg to witness "the event"
most of them could not tell one end of a horse from another.

Allan

Thomas Roulston 01-12-2019 08:04 PM

At least there are two Pegasus World Cup races this year instead of only one.

That still doesn't make it worth the trouble.

Suff 01-12-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin (Post 2416572)
Well, their is no "paddock" access, so you must mean those seats around the walking ring for $110 :faint:

I bought a few in November. I recalled last year that General Admission was a $100, so when I saw these for $110 I leaped.

https://i.ibb.co/f4sH4nN/pegaus-a.png

Lemon Drop Husker 01-12-2019 11:27 PM

Looks like a very interesting and wagerable field thus far:

Accelerate
City of Light
Gunnevera
Seeking the Soul
Audible
Bravazo
McKinzie

That is a lot of racing fan favorites clashing some heads in there.

Buckeye 01-12-2019 11:55 PM

No matter what happens on the 26th, Horse of the Year 2018 will be announced on the 24th.

Buckeye 01-13-2019 12:01 AM

MonmouthParkJoe 01-13-2019 05:13 PM

I’m actually going this year. Curious to see what the on track experience is going to be like

Someday Silent 01-17-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe (Post 2417930)
I’m actually going this year. Curious to see what the on track experience is going to be like

I'm definitely interested in hearing how it goes.