Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Article on slaughter.....timed perfect (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155064)

JustRalph 11-01-2019 08:52 PM

Article on slaughter.....timed perfect

Mulerider 11-01-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2532551)

The timing was intentional, of course.

That said, Jacob Thompson is a piker compared to Mike McBarron.

thaskalos 11-01-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulerider (Post 2532571)
The timing was intentional, of course.

That said, Jacob Thompson is a piker compared to Mike McBarron.

Did McBarron say that he was a "born-again Christian"?

Mulerider 11-01-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2532576)
Did McBarron say that he was a "born-again Christian"?

Lol. I saw that.

Mark Twain once said, "I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure."

That pretty much describes my feelings toward McBarron and Thompson.

Fox 11-03-2019 01:54 PM

Gimme a break. Maybe he should write about the 150,000,000 pigs and cows slaughtered in USA a year for consumption. Guy probably had a burger for lunch.

Hambletonian 11-03-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 2533247)
Gimme a break. Maybe he should write about the 150,000,000 pigs and cows slaughtered in USA a year for consumption. Guy probably had a burger for lunch.

Not really a fair comparison. Pigs, cows, chickens, etc are raised for food. Period.

Americans feel differently about horses, and would also feel differently if dogs and cats were slaughtered in a similar fashion.

Do you think Americans would be ok if it was standard operating procedure to raise a horse for sport, and then the moment they are not competitive send them directly to slaughter?

clicknow 11-03-2019 02:41 PM

Timing is both perceptual and moves within the history of the time we are in

Of course articles about slaughter are going to come out during big racing days or racing season.

That's like saying we shouldn't "time" articles about people who blow their digits off with firecrackers during 4th of July, isn't it? Or articles about unvaccinated people dying of flu when it's flu season? Or of accidental hunting deaths when it's hunting season?

cj 11-03-2019 02:45 PM

As to the timing, I guess it was on purpose, but really only people that actually follow the sport are watching the Breeders' Cup any more. The only time the general public is tuning in is Derby Day and IF there is a Triple Crown on the line Belmont Day. Sad to say it, but outside those days, nobody is watching.

Fox 11-03-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambletonian (Post 2533249)
Do you think Americans would be ok if it was standard operating procedure to raise a horse for sport, and then the moment they are not competitive send them directly to slaughter?

Many Americans are up in arms about everything these days. I'm about letting people do what they wish with their own property as long as it is not hurting other people (other than their fragile sentiments). I don't like that this is happening. I wish all the horses could retire to frolic in a field somewhere and be fed premium hay. I wouldn't want a horse that I own going to slaughter but what other people do with their horses is their business. And I don't see how the distinction about whether an animal is raised for food or not matters.

hyipro 11-03-2019 06:34 PM

Even eating a chicken sandwich is up for debate, me thinks people have to
much time on their hands...................

JustRalph 11-03-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2533257)
As to the timing, I guess it was on purpose, but really only people that actually follow the sport are watching the Breeders' Cup any more. The only time the general public is tuning in is Derby Day and IF there is a Triple Crown on the line Belmont Day. Sad to say it, but outside those days, nobody is watching.

I told a customer in my restaurant Friday I was taping the Breeders Cup Saturday. His response "They still do that?"