Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Color me shocked. A temp tax going perm? Illinois (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112122)

JustRalph 03-26-2014 02:42 PM

Color me shocked. A temp tax going perm? Illinois

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6489301.story

Remember, they are still paying the temp tax for the Johnstown flood in PA

The flood was in 1889

No such thing as temp taxes.........

DJofSD 03-26-2014 02:55 PM

You must remember this,
A kiss is just a kiss,
A sigh is just sigh ....

It's just a temporary tax just like an incumbent's job.

ArlJim78 03-26-2014 03:11 PM

to the surprise of nobody. there is nothing as permanent as a temporary government program or tax.

Robert Goren 03-26-2014 03:13 PM

Actually it not always. When Bob Kerry was governor of Nebraska he wanted and got a temporary sales tax hike. 8 months later the hike went away as promised to everybody's amazement. This made Kerry (a liberal) in this very conservative state state unbeatable ( 2 senate elections including beat a sitting GOP senator) until he attempt an ill-advised come back senate run after being out of public office and out of the state for 12 years.

ArlJim78 03-26-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goren
Actually it not always. When Bob Kerry was governor of Nebraska he wanted and got a temporary sales tax hike. 8 months later the hike went away as promised to everybody's amazement. This made Kerry (a liberal) in this very conservative state state unbeatable ( 2 senate elections including beat a sitting GOP senator) until he attempt an ill-advised come back senate run after being out of public office and out of the state for 12 years.

must have been a Republican legislature then.

Robert Goren 03-26-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlJim78
must have been a Republican legislature then.

We have a non partisan unicameral. Most of the senator then as now were registered republicans. Kerry was only elected because the previous GOP governor was bad. We are talking Jimmy Carter like bad. The time when Kerry was Governor was sort a Camelot time. He was dating Debra Winger. He was young good looking war hero (MOH) and very successful business man. Nebraska's answer to JFK. I meet him a few times and he lived for a time a block away from me. I thought he was a jerk of the first order.

shots 03-26-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlJim78
to the surprise of nobody. there is nothing as permanent as a temporary government program or tax.

And corruption.

Striker 03-26-2014 06:13 PM

Quinn said he was going to veto the tax increase back in 2011, if it was higher than 4%. What did he do? Signed it into law. I thought Rauner had no chance to win, but he has the money to run with this on the tv ads.

thaskalos 03-26-2014 08:03 PM

There is word out of Illinois that they've had to grant early prison release to some of the rapists...so they could make room for the governors.