Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Best Backup Quarterbacks (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167164)

FakeNameChanged 10-10-2021 10:40 PM

Best Backup Quarterbacks

I'm talking about pro's, NFL, or even the old AFL if you have one. The NY Giants losing Daniel Jones today and seeing Mike Glennon come in reminded me of how important the backup QB is in the Pro's.

My two choices for a backup QB are George Blanda for the Raiders and Doug Flutie in Buffalo.

I'm disqualifying Tom Brady when he replaced Drew Bledsoe, since he wasn't a perennial backup and Brady was never pulled again for Bledsoe to return.

Earl Morrall who replaced Bob Griese would be my honorable mention.

TJDave 10-10-2021 11:38 PM

Zeke Bratkowski

Robert Fischer 10-11-2021 12:02 AM

Steve Young behind Montana

proximity 10-11-2021 12:10 AM

i was thinking jeff hostetler was pretty good but see he did actually start slightly over half of his career games (83/152).... and i think what you're getting at is more of a career backup who started less than 50% of career games? good question though...

Jeff P 10-11-2021 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (Post 2759363)
Steve Young behind Montana

Totally agree (you beat me to it.)

Aaron Rodgers backing up Brett Favre

Nick Foles filling in for Carson Wentz leading the Eagles to their first Super Bowl win (over Tom Brady.)

-jp

FakeNameChanged 10-11-2021 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff P (Post 2759374)
Totally agree (you beat me to it.)

Aaron Rodgers backing up Brett Favre

Nick Foles filling in for Carson Wentz leading the Eagles to their first Super Bowl win (over Tom Brady.)

-jp

Aaron Rodgers came to mind as I was going to bed last night. But it was always announced that he was the planned starter when he was drafted. I don't remember any memorable times he came in as the backup and lit it up, but I wasn't a diehard Packers fan.
Now Steve Young and Nick Foles fit the backup mold, especially when Nick led the Eagles to the playoffs and was Super Bowl MVP.

jimmyb 10-11-2021 10:42 AM

Earl Morrall behind Johnny Unitas

Steve Young behind Joe Montana

sharkey11 10-11-2021 10:44 AM

billy kilmer backup for sonny jurgensen

Robert Fischer 10-11-2021 11:27 AM

Not as high as some of the others, but as a kid in Maryland/DC, Doug Williams was a big deal in '88, for winning the job, and the Super Bowl.

at my public elementary school, we had an assembly and learned how to sing; "Hail to the Redskins".

CheckMark 10-11-2021 11:52 AM

Top 5 (not in order)
1) Nick Foles
2) Doug Flutie
3) Ben Roethlisberger
4) Brett Favre
5) Kurt Warner

Inner Dirt 10-11-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkey11 (Post 2759417)
billy kilmer backup for sonny jurgensen

By the time Kilmer got to Washington, Jurgenson was on the later end of his career and often injured. The 4 seasons they were both there Sonny only had 13 total starts. I looked it up to double check my memory, as I was a big time grade school aged NFL fan. Kilmer took the starting job from Sonny.

sharkey11 10-11-2021 12:24 PM

OOPs and thanks:headbanger:

mostpost 10-11-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2759428)
Top 5 (not in order)
1) Nick Foles
2) Doug Flutie
3) Ben Roethlisberger
4) Brett Favre
5) Kurt Warner

Nick Foles was great with the Eagles, not so much with the Bears. As for the last three, they were starters most if not all of their careers.

Inner Dirt 10-11-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkey11 (Post 2759435)
OOPs and thanks:headbanger:

No problem. I often find my memory to be suspect here and there, that is why I often go to pro-football reference, to check it. This thread had me wanting to mention Frank Reich, but I decided to look him up first. That big play-off game come back against the Oilers kind of gave him a legacy in my mind. I suppose he was a two hit wonder 2-0 in the play-offs that year, subbing for Kelly, but an overall QB record of 5-15 regular season, not so good.

FakeNameChanged 10-11-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2759433)
By the time Kilmer got to Washington, Jurgenson was on the later end of his career and often injured. The 4 seasons they were both there Sonny only had 13 total starts. I looked it up to double check my memory, as I was a big time grade school aged NFL fan. Kilmer took the starting job from Sonny.

As a kid, my dad took my best friend and me to see the Redskins and Eagles play an exhibition or pre-season game at Hershey stadium. My buddy and I went down to the tunnel at half-time and we saw Sonny sauntering into the team room smoking a cigarette. I was about 10-12. and Sonny looked enormous to me, almost the size of the linemen.
Back then, the Eagles trained in Hershey, Pa, and the Skins in Carlisle.