Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Saratoga Restaurant Recommendations (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60388)

Vinman 08-06-2009 09:39 PM

Saratoga Restaurant Recommendations

The other day while sitting in my seat in Section K I happened to overhear a woman rave to her friends about a restaurant meal she'd had the previous night in Saratoga Springs. Her exact words were "I was totally unprepared for the high caliber of the food they served at this place".

Before I give the restaurant name, I'll say that the first and only time I've eaten there was in 1995 and I remember it being a good meal. I do not own a piece of this place or know anyone who does.

The restaurant is Pennells, on Jefferson, on the way from the track to the Racino. They serve mostly Italian.

If you've had an outstanding meal in a Saratoga eatery, why not share it here.

Vinman

offtrack 08-06-2009 09:56 PM

The steak at Docs Steakhouse was very good. Although the salad bar and the creamed spinach was only fair.
We had a group of six and the assorted cuts that were ordered were all good.

Giffy's Chicken, in Clifton Park, is always tasty. I know of no better.

Grits 08-06-2009 10:09 PM

I agree Pennell's is good!

And of course, the Wishing Well.

Dick Powell 08-06-2009 10:15 PM

If you want the best hamburger you will ever have, drive west on Geyser Road towards the Saratoga Airport. When you come to the intersection with a Stewart's on the right and a Cumberland Farms on the left, make a right onto Rowland Street and then turn left into Hanaford Plaza. To the right of Hanaford Supermarket is Juicyburger which serves steakburgers which enables them to cook them rare or medium rare. Fantastic taste and they are literally juicy so use your napkin wisely. If anyone goes, let us know what you think. Burgers and sweet potato fries are about $10 but well worth it.

Figman 08-06-2009 10:20 PM

I have to agree....Juicyburger is the best burger I've had in the Albany-Saratoga-Glens Falls and Lake George area.

lamboguy 08-06-2009 11:59 PM

i used to spend the whole meet in
saratoga. i ate at the wishing well every single night 7 days a week. they got fresh tomato's and corn there, the people are as nice as can be and you will see lots of pictures on the walls with famous horse people and horses. and there are lots of horse people that gather there every night. the last time i was there i had dinner with richie o'connel and hollywood herbie ,mccaully and his wife debbie the night before they won the travers stakes with thunder rumble.

badcompany 08-07-2009 01:23 AM

HATTIE'S™ MENU

Appetizers
Seasonal Soup 3.00 cup / 6.00 bowl
Louisiana Style Crab Cakes 8.95
Good 'n Evil Chicken Wings 7.95
Cajun Shrimp Cocktail 10.95
Catfish Fingers 8.95
Chicken Livers 6.95
Hush Puppies 6.95

Entrees
Hattie's Famous Fried Chicken 15.95
served with a choice of 2 sides
Same recipe since 1938.

Fresh Fish of the Day Market
Depends on what's fresh! Please ask your server for details.

Jasper's Mac & Cheese 13.95
Available October - April
Crisp & Creamy! Made with Sharp cheddar & a crisp biscuit crust.
With andouille sausage or chicken 14.95

Creole Jambalaya 18.95
Andouille sausage, shrimp and chicken served with rice
Also available as an appetizer.

Chicken and Dumplings 14.95
Available October - April
A Southern classic! Served with giant dumplings.

Farm Raised Catfish 17.95
Pan fried in seasoned cornmeal

Red Beans and Rice 12.95
Slow cooked red beans and long grain Carolina rice.
Add a piece of fried chicken or andouille sausage. 13.95

Jasper's Gumbo of the day Market
Please ask your server for details. Also available as an appetizer.

Slow Cooked BBQ Spare Ribs 17.95
A generous portion of tender ribs with our own BBQ sauce

Marinated Skirt Steak 21.95
Grilled and served with chimichurri sauce.

Bobzilla 08-07-2009 06:49 AM

Olde Bryan Inne

I've never had a bad meal at the Olde Bryan Inne in downtown Saratoga Springs right next to the Convention Center. I usually order the prime rib and request that it be cooked with cajun spices. When I'm done at the Olde Bryan Inne I usually walk on down to the Parting Glass for a few Black and Tans. I love being up at Saratoga Springs this time of year, it's like heaven on earth. Here is a link to the Olde Bryan Inne restaurant.

http://www.oldebryaninn.com/

Java Gold@TFT 08-07-2009 08:40 AM

I also always like Old Bryan and the same people run Longfellows down the road from the track just east of the northway near Saratoga National GC.

Maestro's in front of the Adelphi is great but a little pricier and crowded in August. I've never had a bad meal at Wheatfields if you like fresh homemade pastas of all kinds.

If you go to The Parting Glass you should eat elsewhere first. Joan ran rampant through the staff a few years ago and it's never been the same. There are about 3 things on the menu that pretend to be Irish but it's mostly Italian (and not high quality).

If you want another Irish place to go the Irish Times just opened this year on Broadway and Phila. It used to be a few different microbrewery places but now it's an Irish place with a lot of beers on tap. The food has gotten varied reviews but the owners are working on everything and are happy to make things to order. Worth a try other than Parting Glass.

I haven't had a bad steak or prime rib at Cliff's but it tends to get mixed reviews. It's just down the road in Malta and a bit off the beaten track heading toward the south end of Saratoga Lake.

I know you've been coming for years so you probably know most of this but others don't.

onefast99 08-07-2009 09:00 AM

The Stadium Club in downtown Saratoga has very good pub food, lots of tv's to see any sporting events and of course Del Mar live racing(after the last spa races are done) while you enjoy the food. The hamburgers were excellent and the wait staff is easy on the eyes.

Grits 08-07-2009 09:02 AM

Old Bryan and Cliff's are both enjoyable. Though, for me, Old Bryan can get noisy. Rather, that was the case last time I had dinner there. My table was in a smaller low ceiling room.

The short ride out of town to Cliff's is nice in the evening especially when the moon is full over the lake. Neat little restaurant, equally nice setting.

Glad you thought to mention these two Java.

OTM Al 08-07-2009 09:26 AM

Olde Bryan is good for the standard restraunt fare you find in most of the country. One Caroline is very good with a bit of a cajunish flair (I won't call it cajun for real if its outside LA). There's an inexpensive mexican place (sorry, can't remember name) near the raceway that wasn't bad for the price. The wife says she's found an Indian place up there that is quite good so I will be trying that soon. Parting Glass is ok, fairly standard fare for a restaurant/bar.

Java Gold@TFT 08-07-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTM Al
Olde Bryan is good for the standard restraunt fare you find in most of the country. One Caroline is very good with a bit of a cajunish flair (I won't call it cajun for real if its outside LA). There's an inexpensive mexican place (sorry, can't remember name) near the raceway that wasn't bad for the price. The wife says she's found an Indian place up there that is quite good so I will be trying that soon. Parting Glass is ok, fairly standard fare for a restaurant/bar.

Mexican Connection is right across from the backstretch Nelson Avenue Gate. It's ex-jockey Filberto Leon's place with good food and not expenxive drinks.

OTM Al 08-07-2009 09:45 AM

That's it.

Nacumi 08-07-2009 12:08 PM

The Grey Gelding on Broadway, and Mango 29 in Schuylerville for great deli sandwiches.