Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Religion II (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136470)

LottaKash 02-24-2017 03:53 PM

Notice that it is about "The Kash"...?

boxcar 02-24-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LottaKash (Post 2125806)
Notice that it is about "The Kash"...?

Yup, the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

Actor 02-25-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2125845)
Yup, the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

https://static2.sdith-images.com/med...8_1_835919.jpg

VigorsTheGrey 02-25-2017 11:01 PM

When people worship god, what exactly are they doing...? I remember when I would go to church and we would sing songs...but what is it really...?

Being thankful no matter what your condition is...? Having a contrite, meek and humble spirit all the time...?

What does it mean to praise god...?

Do we wave our hands in the air and say "I love you, Lord"...?

How many times do we have to thank god for all that (He/ She/ It) has done for us...?

In what way do we "love" god..."love" Jesus...."love" the spirit...?

How is this love expressed...?

woodtoo 02-26-2017 11:52 AM

The peaceful Muslims....
ISIS beheads 15 year old in Iraq in public square for listening to western music.

Love expressed in Islam.

PaceAdvantage 02-26-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodtoo (Post 2126960)
The peaceful Muslims....
ISIS beheads 15 year old in Iraq in public square for listening to western music.

Love expressed in Islam.

Makes "Jews wearing funny hats" kind of an insignificant topic when you put it like that...wonder if Vigors will agree.

VigorsTheGrey 02-26-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2127022)
Makes "Jews wearing funny hats" kind of an insignificant topic when you put it like that...wonder if Vigors will agree.

Old injun saying... "long hair, short hair, no matter with head cut off"...

Still, I think the hats are funny, even if they are insignificant as you suggest...I think the commandment is that the head ought to be covered...(for what reason, I don't know, maybe you can explain it why God should desire this of humans)...but in any event, its like...."I don't really want to cover my head or wear a hat all the time, SO I'll just paste this lace circular patch on my head, and call THAT good...meets the minimum requirements of the law...and nobody can say that my head isn't covered, now can they....?

So I find it humorous the lengths taken by humans to appease an imaginary yet righteous and extremely holy God.....don't you...?

What kind of funny hats do you wear...?

boxcar 02-26-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2126738)
How is this love expressed...?

John 14:15
15 "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
NASB

VigorsTheGrey 02-26-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2127090)
John 14:15
15 "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
NASB

Where is the commandment to keep my head covered...? And why don't you wear a head covering also Boxcar? Like the Jews do and the Pope does...?

HalvOnHorseracing 02-26-2017 03:24 PM

Catholics used to require women to wear a head covering. I can remember women pinning handkerchiefs to their head before heading inside.

boxcar 02-26-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2127105)
Where is the commandment to keep my head covered...? And why don't you wear a head covering also Boxcar? Like the Jews do and the Pope does...?

I do wear a head covering. I call it hair.

VigorsTheGrey 02-26-2017 04:59 PM

I thought you would be able to quote the Bible verse right off the top of your head, seeing how you are so well acquainted with every other one...so why do you think God is interested in his chosen wearing little circular hats...? And if this is what God commands, then why don't you wear one also...

dnlgfnk 02-26-2017 06:07 PM

Boxcar,

I'm not much for sequels, but you're impressing me in Religious II with some uncharacteristic restraint versus you're troll.

Vigors, of course you're queries could be easily researched in the age of the internet as to the relevant biblical verse, or the motivations of various religious traditions regarding head coverings. Perhaps it would help if you backed away from the keyboard for a long stroll, since "all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking". (Friedrich Nietzsche)

dnlgfnk 02-26-2017 06:25 PM

uh...

"your" troll, "your" queries...

Time for a Labatts Blue just in time for the Bluenote vs. the Hawks.

boxcar 02-26-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2127340)
I thought you would be able to quote the Bible verse right off the top of your head, seeing how you are so well acquainted with every other one...so why do you think God is interested in his chosen wearing little circular hats...? And if this is what God commands, then why don't you wear one also...

Because I like cowboy hats? Just sayin...

VigorsTheGrey 02-26-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnlgfnk (Post 2127432)
Boxcar,

I'm not much for sequels, but you're impressing me in Religious II with some uncharacteristic restraint versus you're troll.

Vigors, of course you're queries could be easily researched in the age of the internet as to the relevant biblical verse, or the motivations of various religious traditions regarding head coverings. Perhaps it would help if you backed away from the keyboard for a long stroll, since "all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking". (Friedrich Nietzsche)

You're right..... I'm taking a stroll as we speak..."The world is too much with us..."

The World Is Too Much With Us

BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

VigorsTheGrey 02-26-2017 07:11 PM

On Jews wearing hats....

"The Talmud states, "Cover your head in order that the fear of heaven may be upon you."[5] Rabbi Hunah ben Joshua never walked 4 cubits (6.6 feet, or 2 meters) with his head uncovered. He explained: "Because the Divine Presence is always over my head."[6] This was understood by Rabbi Yosef Karo in the Shulchan Arukh as indicating that Jewish men should cover their heads and should not walk more than four cubits bareheaded.[7] Covering one's head, such as by wearing a kippah, is described as "honoring God".[8] The Mishnah Berurah modifies this ruling, adding that the Achronim established it as a requirement to wear a head covering even when traversing fewer than four cubits,[9] and even when one is standing still, indoors and outside.[10] K". Wikipedia

PaceAdvantage 02-26-2017 07:52 PM

WTF is your point...other than more thinly-veiled anti-Semitism?

I could point out about 1000 ridiculous things about every religion...the one you keep citing isn't all that ridiculous compared to some doozies out there...

fast4522 02-26-2017 08:11 PM

The war on religion is everywhere, today it is this so tomorrow it is that. Holding back a rant because the assault is really on everyone, until the majority of enlightened pinheads change the war continues.

VigorsTheGrey 02-26-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2127518)

I could point out about 1000 ridiculous things about every religion...the one you keep citing isn't all that ridiculous compared to some doozies out there...

This is not a Semite thing, besides nearly all Jews alive today are not blood related Semites....so "anti-Semite" is a real misnomer, for sure...

....this all started with women being forced to wear the hijab at the chess tournament held in Iran.....I think they should wear the dang thing and play chess....after all they are there to play chess, not make a political statement over women's rights....at this point, the women are just grandstanding with a global audience....BUT.....

....it did get me thinking about forced head covering for religious reasons...I learn that in Islamic countries, it is done for the reason of female MODESTY...but for Jew males it is done for FEAR OF GOD....two entirely distinct motivations.....BUT.....

It also got me thinking about possible reasons why God would be interested in any head covering at all, male or female.....?

After I search the mind of God, I could not think of any reason why He would care one way or another....and if God doesn't care.....well, well, why the hell should I.....next time I go to synagogue.... I'll leave my hat at home...

Those are my 2 points....

boxcar 02-26-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2127518)

Not only that but the Talmud ain't the bible; yet he's asking me to justify an extra-biblical religious tradition.

Actor 02-28-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2123960)
And I'm not narrow-minded; I'm critical-minded. :cool:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

boxcar 03-01-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2128438)
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:coffee::p

VigorsTheGrey 03-01-2017 12:58 PM

Manly Hall's Secret Teaching of All the Ages

Greyfox 03-01-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2128559)

I'd need a magnifying glass to do that.

VigorsTheGrey 03-01-2017 02:11 PM

The Celtic Druids by Godfrey Higgins

Another really interesting book...!

https://archive.org/stream/TheCeltic...ge/n1/mode/2up

VigorsTheGrey 03-01-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2128594)
I'd need a magnifying glass to do that.

There is a zooming tool that can be used to magnify the text, it looks like an inspectors magnifying glass...I use it also to read the texts so feel free to do so and enjoy the content of these marvelous books....

Greyfox 03-01-2017 03:07 PM

Thank you.
I sampled various parts of the book and decided it's not my cup of tea.
But thank you anyways.

VigorsTheGrey 03-01-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2128644)
Thank you.
I sampled various parts of the book and decided it's not my cup of tea.
But thank you anyways.

I understand, too many cooks spoil the soup...

VigorsTheGrey 03-01-2017 05:36 PM

The Antiquities of the Jews by Flavius Josephus

boxcar 03-01-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2128722)

That might actually be a pretty interesting read -- comparing a secular historian's view of numerous historical people, events and institutions as presented in the bible.

VigorsTheGrey 03-03-2017 12:39 PM

Check out this book Boxcar: Very cool...!

https://archive.org/stream/hierophan...ge/n9/mode/2up

VigorsTheGrey 03-03-2017 12:47 PM

Modern Judiasm versus Moses and the Prophets

boxcar 03-03-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2129605)

Any resemblance between modern Judaism and biblical Judaism is purely coincidental. In fact, Christianity is eschatological Judaism! Christianity is Judaism fulfilled.

VigorsTheGrey 03-03-2017 12:55 PM

The Secret History of the Oxford Movement

VigorsTheGrey 03-03-2017 02:25 PM

Mysteria

VigorsTheGrey 03-03-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2129613)
Any resemblance between modern Judaism and biblical Judaism is purely coincidental. In fact, Christianity is eschatological Judaism! Christianity is Judaism fulfilled.

Any yet neither C nor J are original....They BOTH grew out of an ancient and firmly established religious system....Old wine in new wine skin, as it were...re branded religion...there has never yet existed an entirely true system, nor one entirely false...the worshiping of god has been around for a long, long time, way before these newer arrivals...and all of them have borrowed stuff from each other and made it their own...then usually attempting to cover up their common origins by destroying the vestiges and icons of the former....look at what Islam is doing today, iconoclastic ruination of the historical sites of other religions...

boxcar 03-04-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2130014)
Any yet neither C nor J are original....They BOTH grew out of an ancient and firmly established religious system....Old wine in new wine skin, as it were...re branded religion...there has never yet existed an entirely true system, nor one entirely false...the worshiping of god has been around for a long, long time, way before these newer arrivals...and all of them have borrowed stuff from each other and made it their own...then usually attempting to cover up their common origins by destroying the vestiges and icons of the former....look at what Islam is doing today, iconoclastic ruination of the historical sites of other religions...

Wrong. Judaism was the only ancient, organized monotheistic religion in the world. The entire ancient pagan world was thoroughly polytheistic, save for God's elect, which included among other people Abraham, Issac and Jacob -- the Grand Patriarchs of the Hebrews. The Hebrews eventually became Israelites when God made them a bona fide nation (as promised to these patriarchs) by giving them their own constitution, i.e. the Law of Moses.
Trust me on this: You will be very hard pressed to find one ancient people who were not polytheistic.

VigorsTheGrey 03-04-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2130089)
Wrong. Judaism was the only ancient, organized monotheistic religion in the world. The entire ancient pagan world was thoroughly polytheistic, save for God's elect, which included among other people Abraham, Issac and Jacob -- the Grand Patriarchs of the Hebrews. The Hebrews eventually became Israelites when God made them a bona fide nation (as promised to these patriarchs) by giving them their own constitution, i.e. the Law of Moses.
Trust me on this: You will be very hard pressed to find one ancient people who were not polytheistic.

Judaism has pagan roots and is pagan as well as Christianity....it is all about Sun worship, the stars, the moon, and kabbala..... They learned their religion from Egyptians....they based their tabernacle on the temples in Egypt.... The Egyptians had arks that they carried around as well...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aten

boxcar 03-04-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2130197)
Judaism has pagan roots and is pagan as well as Christianity....it is all about Sun worship, the stars, the moon, and kabbala..... They learned their religion from Egyptians....they based their tabernacle on the temples in Egypt.... The Egyptians had arks that they carried around as well...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aten

Abraham, Issac and Jacob (and many other before them, such as Eve, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Lot, etc.) did not worship the sun, moon or stars or any pagan gods. They worshiped the one true God. In other words, God always had a remnant of true believers.

Yes, the vast majority of the Hebrews who spent 430 years in slavery in Egypt naturally were influenced greatly by the pagan Egyptian religious practices. The Book of Exodus makes it clear that the vast majority of those Hebrews, whom God redeemed out of Egypt in the Exodus, were unfaithful and disobedient to YHWH, and were punished by God and not permitted to enter into the Promised Land. Therefore, the Mosaic Covenant was made with the "faithful" remnant, i.e. the new generation of Hebrews who did not sin like their fathers did. But even so...eventually, many within this new generation became unfaithful, as the rest of the historical books in the OT reveal.