Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   STOP, before you comment. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33518)

singunner 01-07-2007 07:23 AM

I have absolutely no idea what you just said. I've read it 4 or 5 times now and it continues to not make sense. Are you asking about the shape of the distribution? Perhaps it will be skewed?

If you have an average, unless it is purely theoretical, there's usually a probability that it will be skewed (not symmetrical). Until you encounter a large enough sampe, this will almost always be the case. However, as it is an average, there will be equality on both sides of the mean. There's no way for one side of the average to have more than the other; hence, it's an "average".

Are you saying to eliminate the lower-odds instances? Because I was under the impression that most people considered that the basics of handicapping.

speculus 01-07-2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameTheory
Consider what we were talking about earlier in terms of the way the public bets. The ROI on favorites is much much higher than the ROI on longshots (when betting randomly) -- so it is quite normal for the lower odds horses to perform better as a group. It also makes it quite likely you are seeing an anomaly -- in some samples just betting the favorite makes a flat-bet profit. How does the favorite fare in your sample?

Favs: avg odds 1.38 @ 0.5 ROI 19%.

speculus 01-07-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singunner
I have absolutely no idea what you just said. I've read it 4 or 5 times now and it continues to not make sense. Are you asking about the shape of the distribution? Perhaps it will be skewed?

If you have an average, unless it is purely theoretical, there's usually a probability that it will be skewed (not symmetrical). Until you encounter a large enough sampe, this will almost always be the case. However, as it is an average, there will be equality on both sides of the mean. There's no way for one side of the average to have more than the other; hence, it's an "average".

Are you saying to eliminate the lower-odds instances? Because I was under the impression that most people considered that the basics of handicapping.

By asking these questions, I am trying to drive home the point that to judge the performance of a person who varies the bet size on the premise of FLAT-BET ROI is, like GT said somewhere on this thread, comparing oranges to apples.

Because the FLAT-BET ROI (say, with avg odds = x) can give TRUE PICTURE for those who VARY THEIR BET SIZE if and only if there is PERFECTLY SYMMETRICAL distribution of odds around the figure x, NOT otherwise. And the probability of this happening even for a player who makes finite number of bets is very low, perhaps close to zero, if not zero.

Now imagine there is an "adjustible" formula that is sensitive to odds in such a way that it brings in loads of money on all winners @ greater than the avg odds and takes care of a good part of losing bets on either side of avg odds (this is an important condition because your bet size is going to be determined based on odds too as one of the factors and while making bet, especially at longer odds, you don't know whether it's going to be an eventual winner).

If you believe (for whatever reason, maybe on account of your performance history, general strike rate etc) that your profile is skewed in favour of the left side (for odds less than the avg odds), the "adjustible" nature of the formula should give you the freedom to shift the focus in such a way that now, bet size should change in such a way that more profits should come in from the favs and winners below the avg odds.

The asymmetrical nature of actual winning odds with reference to the flat bet avg odds offers a chink (or maybe a window?) through which one can attack this problem. This is precisely what I want to state.

GameTheory 01-07-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speculus
Favs: avg odds 1.38 @ 0.5 ROI 19%.

So that's 50% winners on the favorites for a profit of 19%? Well, that tells you right there your sample is out-of-whack and you certainly can't count on that holding up...

GameTheory 01-07-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

By asking these questions, I am trying to drive home the point that to judge the performance of a person who varies the bet size on the premise of FLAT-BET ROI is, like GT said somewhere on this thread, comparing oranges to apples.

Because the FLAT-BET ROI (say, with avg odds = x) can give TRUE PICTURE for those who VARY THEIR BET SIZE if and only if there is PERFECTLY SYMMETRICAL distribution of odds around the figure x, NOT otherwise. And the probability of this happening even for a player who makes finite number of bets is very low, perhaps close to zero, if not zero.

Now imagine there is an "adjustible" formula that is sensitive to odds in such a way that it brings in loads of money on all winners @ greater than the avg odds and takes care of a good part of losing bets on either side of avg odds (this is an important condition because your bet size is going to be determined based on odds too as one of the factors and while making bet, especially at longer odds, you don't know whether it's going to be an eventual winner).

If you believe (for whatever reason, maybe on account of your performance history, general strike rate etc) that your profile is skewed in favour of the left side (for odds less than the avg odds), the "adjustible" nature of the formula should give you the freedom to shift the focus in such a way that now, bet size should change in such a way that more profits should come in from the favs and winners below the avg odds.

The asymmetrical nature of actual winning odds with reference to the flat bet avg odds offers a chink (or maybe a window?) through which one can attack this problem. This is precisely what I want to state.

It is getting hard to talk about this with theory only -- it sounds like maybe you are holding the probability of winning each bet as a constant based on the whole group? Imagine that your "formula" only allowed 2 possible bet amounts -- $10 (or any positive amount) and $0. Then you "adjusted" so that you bet $0 on the crappy bets and $10 on the good bets. (i.e. you flat bet on those propositions you actually end up betting) That's not "money management", that is just filtering out the negative expectation wagers. Once you do that, NOW money mangement comes into play. You should be able to assign an expectation, positive or negative, based on:

a) the probability of winning THAT wager
b) the estimated odds you are going to get on THAT wager

-----------------

It sounds like you are attempting to do something like this:

You have some selection method for picking horses.

You look at a sample of horses picked by that method and the results are (for example) 25% winners at avg odds of 5/2 (a flat bet loss of 12.5%).

You make the assumption that those numbers will hold up -- in the future you'll also see 25% winners at avg odds of 5/2 and you'll lose 12.5% flat betting.

You assign a probability of 25% for all future wagers made with that selection method.

You wonder if you can somehow come with a money managment formula that will make a profit with this method even though it lose when flat betting.

You come up a formula that somehow favors certain bets (betting more on them) and downgrades others (betting less on those).

In the future, your assumption holds up and you do in fact get 25% winners and flat betting would have lost 12.5%, YET you make a 10% profit using your formula.

You declare, "Eureka! I have done what the mathematicians say is impossible and have made a profit where no profit should be possible!"

--------------

Am I getting warm?

If so, then you will not be comparing apples to apples, and if successful you will not accomplish anything that was previously thought impossible. You will simply be holding back information you had all along and using it in your "money management" formula to filter out the bad bets. How will your formula draw distinctions between bets to determine which should be favored and which should be downgraded? Well, either you'll:

1) Use some handicapping factor to adjust the estimated probability of winning THIS wager -- NOT MONEY MANAGEMENT

and/or

2) Use the tote board odds to adjust the estimated probability of winning for THIS wager -- NOT MONEY MANAGEMENT

and/or

3) Use the tote board odds to adjust (or determine for the first time) positive/negative expectation on THIS wager -- NOT MONEY MANAGEMENT

I get the feeling you're mostly playing around with option #3, maybe with some option #2 thrown in. Which is good -- everyone should do that to be more accurate if they are able. But that's not money management. You are adjusting your original expectation (which was based on the result of a group as a whole) to a more accurate expectation for this wager (based on the results of wagers with similar odds to what you are seeing on the board now).

Which is not money management, but simply refining information you already had to a greater level of detail. NOW, if the bet still has a positive expectation, you apply whatever money management system you are going to apply to determine how much to bet, and you're on your way.

Money management only applies to those wagers that are left over after you make all the distinctions you are able to make between them -- in other words only when you have your full information and already know your best estimate of the expectation for this wager. But as soon as you drop some wagers picked with your selection method because you've decided they have a negative expectation at some certain odds range, then you no longer can compare your final results (after dropping those wagers) with the group as whole (which included those wagers). Cause they're different groups now, aren't they?

It would be much easier to talk about this with a bet-by-bet breakdown of what you are talking about, complete with your handicapped pre-race probability estimates, estimated odds, and final results. Then we can talk about nuts & bolts instead of vague and confusing generalities.

(I'll get to your other question about probability distribution shortly.)

GameTheory 01-07-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

To give you a concrete example, let's go back to flat betting. If the "average odds" on winners is say 2-1, it is not even necessary that there will be at least one or more winners at the odds 2-1.

As an example, in a small sample (say a week's bets?) suppose there are only 5 winners with the odds averaging to 2-1, technically the actual odds could be:

0.8 1.7 1.2 2.3 4 (without a single actual 2-1)

Or there could be an actual 2-1 among them like

1.8 2 3.2 0.9 2.1

Question 1: WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY that the sample will be "perfectly" distributed around 2 ?

Or in other words, WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY that for each figure (2+x) in the sample, there WILL BE a corresponding figure (2-x) also in the same set?

If not the exact probability in terms of a sample of n figures, can you give your opinion whether you feel it will be:

a. High?
b. Very high?
c. Close to infinity?
d. Low?
e. Very low?
f. Close to zero?

Question 2: If n (number of specimens in the sample) is too high (say tends to infinity), then how would you describe the same probability? Again

a. High?
b. Very high?
c. Close to infinity?
d. Low?
e. Very low?
f. Close to zero?

Now that I look at this closely, it would appear that the answer is unknowable. You're asking what is the probability of seeing a certain distribution when we only know the average. Answer: there is no way to know without more information. For instance, if we knew were going to have a normal distribution with mean X and standard deviation Y, then we could make some good estimates of the odds we'd see and how often we'd see them.

But we are restricting our discussion to horse racing odds, so there are some practical limits as to what we might see in terms of high and low, and we can look at odds in general on winning horses to find what that distribution looks like. But will that distribution hold up for any subset of winners chosen with some arbitrary selection method? We don't know.

But I can see what you are getting at, and you'd just have to look at the sample in question to make your estimates for the future. I think I know where you are going with this (see my previous post), but it still ain't "money management"...

speculus 01-07-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

It is getting hard to talk about this with theory only -- it sounds like maybe you are holding the probability of winning each bet as a constant based on the whole group? Imagine that your "formula" only allowed 2 possible bet amounts -- $10 (or any positive amount) and $0. Then you "adjusted" so that you bet $0 on the crappy bets and $10 on the good bets. (i.e. you flat bet on those propositions you actually end up betting) That's not "money management", that is just filtering out the negative expectation wagers. Once you do that, NOW money mangement comes into play. You should be able to assign an expectation, positive or negative, based on:

a) the probability of winning THAT wager
b) the estimated odds you are going to get on THAT wager

-----------------

It sounds like you are attempting to do something like this:

You have some selection method for picking horses.

You look at a sample of horses picked by that method and the results are (for example) 25% winners at avg odds of 5/2 (a flat bet loss of 12.5%).

You make the assumption that those numbers will hold up -- in the future you'll also see 25% winners at avg odds of 5/2 and you'll lose 12.5% flat betting.

You assign a probability of 25% for all future wagers made with that selection method.

You wonder if you can somehow come with a money managment formula that will make a profit with this method even though it lose when flat betting.

You come up a formula that somehow favors certain bets (betting more on them) and downgrades others (betting less on those).

In the future, your assumption holds up and you do in fact get 25% winners and flat betting would have lost 12.5%, YET you make a 10% profit using your formula.

You declare, "Eureka! I have done what the mathematicians say is impossible and have made a profit where no profit should be possible!"

--------------

Am I getting warm?

If so, then you will not be comparing apples to apples, and if successful you will not accomplish anything that was previously thought impossible. You will simply be holding back information you had all along and using it in your "money management" formula to filter out the bad bets. How will your formula draw distinctions between bets to determine which should be favored and which should be downgraded? Well, either you'll:

1) Use some handicapping factor to adjust the estimated probability of winning THIS wager -- NOT MONEY MANAGEMENT

and/or

2) Use the tote board odds to adjust the estimated probability of winning for THIS wager -- NOT MONEY MANAGEMENT

and/or

3) Use the tote board odds to adjust (or determine for the first time) positive/negative expectation on THIS wager -- NOT MONEY MANAGEMENT

I get the feeling you're mostly playing around with option #3, maybe with some option #2 thrown in. Which is good -- everyone should do that to be more accurate if they are able. But that's not money management. You are adjusting your original expectation (which was based on the result of a group as a whole) to a more accurate expectation for this wager (based on the results of wagers with similar odds to what you are seeing on the board now).

Which is not money management, but simply refining information you already had to a greater level of detail. NOW, if the bet still has a positive expectation, you apply whatever money management system you are going to apply to determine how much to bet, and you're on your way.

Money management only applies to those wagers that are left over after you make all the distinctions you are able to make between them -- in other words only when you have your full information and already know your best estimate of the expectation for this wager. But as soon as you drop some wagers picked with your selection method because you've decided they have a negative expectation at some certain odds range, then you no longer can compare your final results (after dropping those wagers) with the group as whole (which included those wagers). Cause they're different groups now, aren't they?

It would be much easier to talk about this with a bet-by-bet breakdown of what you are talking about, complete with your handicapped pre-race probability estimates, estimated odds, and final results. Then we can talk about nuts & bolts instead of vague and confusing generalities.

(I'll get to your other question about probability distribution shortly.)

GT, I just put forward a viewpoint why the money management concepts originating from the flat-bet roi standpoint could be useless or worthless for those who vary bet size, and you build up a whole case against me saying I "may be doing this and may be doing that." Can't you wait until the testing is over?

Just for your information, I am NOT doing ANYTHING that you are speculating about. I am completely open to the idea that perhaps the loss-into-profit phenomenon (found only in one sample so far, although it has improved the performance of most negative flat-bet roi by reducing the losses) may be due to some reasons peculiar to that sample. But at the same time, I cannot overlook the fact that the formula is outperforming flat bet by a wide margin consistently.

The testing is not being done to prove that in some cases it may turn negative flat bet roi into profit. It's being done to see if its results can be compared favourably with HMI which at present I regard as the best tool for those who wish to change their bet size.

speculus 01-07-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Now that I look at this closely, it would appear that the answer is unknowable. You're asking what is the probability of seeing a certain distribution when we only know the average. Answer: there is no way to know without more information. For instance, if we knew were going to have a normal distribution with mean X and standard deviation Y, then we could make some good estimates of the odds we'd see and how often we'd see them.

But we are restricting our discussion to horse racing odds, so there are some practical limits as to what we might see in terms of high and low, and we can look at odds in general on winning horses to find what that distribution looks like. But will that distribution hold up for any subset of winners chosen with some arbitrary selection method? We don't know.

But I can see what you are getting at, and you'd just have to look at the sample in question to make your estimates for the future. I think I know where you are going with this (see my previous post), but it still ain't "money management"...

Anyone who has ever bet in life should know that the chances of finding a perfectly symmetrical distribution of winning odds around the flat-bet avg odds are the same as that of mining of swiss cheese on the moon.

You had your chance of coming clean on that, but you chose to hide behind this mumbo jumbo.

Ask yourself: Have you EVER, even once in your life so far, come across a sample where the odds on winners were perfectly symmetrical around the avg odds?

GameTheory 01-07-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

You had your chance of coming clean on that, but you chose to hide behind this mumbo jumbo.

Come clean? I didn't know I was hiding anything. I was trying to answer your question. I didn't realize it was some sort of challenge to get me to admit something.

Quote:

Ask yourself: Have you EVER, even once in your life so far, come across a sample where the odds on winners were perfectly symmetrical around the avg odds?
Beats me, that kind of stat is not relevant to anything I do. But I would generally expect payoffs to be distributed non-normally (asymetrically), yes. But I don't see why that is an important fact.

GameTheory 01-07-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

GT, I just put forward a viewpoint why the money management concepts originating from the flat-bet roi standpoint could be useless or worthless for those who vary bet size, and you build up a whole case against me saying I "may be doing this and may be doing that." Can't you wait until the testing is over?

Well, you or anyone -- since you aren't giving us any details that is what I imagine is the most likely possibility someone could come up with -- something along those lines that might create the illusion of improving a negative to a positive (or from less to more anywhere along the scale). That is what I would could a "semantic" difference because it isn't really money management.

Quote:

Just for your information, I am NOT doing ANYTHING that you are speculating about. I am completely open to the idea that perhaps the loss-into-profit phenomenon (found only in one sample so far, although it has improved the performance of most negative flat-bet roi by reducing the losses) may be due to some reasons peculiar to that sample. But at the same time, I cannot overlook the fact that the formula is outperforming flat bet by a wide margin consistently.
When you say outperforming you mean ROI-wise correct -- percentage profit, not actual profit?

Quote:

The testing is not being done to prove that in some cases it may turn negative flat bet roi into profit. It's being done to see if its results can be compared favourably with HMI which at present I regard as the best tool for those who wish to change their bet size.
Ok, whatever. I thought we were having a discussion. I thought my comments were welcome. I've got nothing to talk about except abstract theory because that's all that has been brought to the table in terms of examples. I haven't said a single hostile word to you that I know of, yet you seem to be undergoing a mood swing every 10 posts or so and getting "huffy" about the whole matter for some reason. If you didn't want to invite comment until "testing was complete", then maybe you shouldn't have started this thread until that time...

PriceAnProbability 01-07-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

By what, VOODOO?

Of course your results are sample-specific. Your sample likely doesn't include the one horrific losing streak that would bankrupt the player in the real world (like Martingdale).

Kelso 01-07-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesario!
I simply stopped betting on horses under 8-1 (or on exacta opportunities that offered the same).

Why do you accept the same minimum odds for a more difficult accomplishment; i.e., picking the top 2 horses in a race instead of only the top horse?

Shouldn't exacta probable payouts be at least $34 (or much higher, actually) on a $2 bet to be consistant with your win-bet requirement?

Thank you.

singunner 01-07-2007 11:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHA. It's clear now. I think I know exactly what you're doing. It was so hard to imagine it because I was approaching it as something new. What you essentially stated in response to my post is something I'd thought about integrating into the program I'm working on once I get it past its basic stages.

I think it'd be nice to have a little more input that JUST odds to be making the decisions, but I'm sure you can pull yourself up a few percentage points that way too. Good luck with what you're doing. I never viewed it as the Holy Grail you seem to view it as, but if you hadn't been doing something like that before, it would definitely be a benefit.

Just make sure you keep your dataset large enough to avoid shaped-formulas.

singunner 01-07-2007 11:55 PM

Also, I have one problem with everyone on this board. It's the three letters "ROI". Nobody seems to use it properly. It's not just a number that sits out there to amaze others. ROI is heavily dependent on time. In business, it would be an ROI across x years. Pull out early and sacrifice your ROI. In racing, it can't be used the same way.

Essentially, in racing, I see ROI as being highly limited by how many races/horses you can use it in over x years. If I could give you an ROI of 1.5, but you could only use it 5 times per year, you'd face tipping the odds and lowering your ROI if you wanted real money. An ROI of 1.001 would be preferable assuming it could be used every day of the week.

Is there no better measure than ROI? Perceived ROI (PROI) or something of that nature?

Greyfox 01-07-2007 11:56 PM

Gulliver's Travels

The very term big-endian comes from Jonathan Swift's satiric novel Gulliver’s Travels, where tensions are described in Lilliput and Blefuscu because a faction called the Big-endians prefer to crack open their soft-boiled eggs from the big end, contrary to Lilliputian royal edict.[3] The terms little-endian and endianness have a similar ironic intent.[4]

Big endians liked to crack an egg on the big end.
Little endians the small end. They were at war.

So far we haven't seen the egg from Speculus that he's cracking. And no that's not a "yoke."