Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pick 5 type (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162847)

SG4 01-25-2021 03:47 PM

Pick 5 type

When betting a pick 5, do you prefer the wager when it offers conso payments for picking 4 out of 5 (usually 25% of the pool, such as Keeneland & Gulfstream) or when it pays 100% of the pool to those with 5 of 5 (ie NYRA & California)?

I have a very strong feeling one way, was curious how others felt.

dryrunguy 01-26-2021 10:36 PM

I saw this post late last night, had an immediate reaction, but decided to noodle on it.

I'll stick with my original gut reaction. Pay 5/5 only UNLESS no one went 5/5, then pay out to 4/5. I've had a few 4/5 payouts for Pick 5s at Gulfstream. They've never been enough to cover even a low-budget Pick 5 ticket. Correctly nailing a Pick 5, even a fairly chalky one, deserves to be rewarded.

Poindexter 01-26-2021 11:22 PM

Since i get 4 out of 5 on just about every pick 5 I play in thoroughbreds, to me it would be a lot better if they payed for 4 out of 5. That being said I think just paying 5 of 5 is the better way of doing it.

JohnGalt1 01-27-2021 11:56 AM

You didn't offer the choice of-- If no one hits, 100% is carried over.

I don't like these and is why I don't play the hi-5.

SG4 01-27-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 (Post 2697684)
You didn't offer the choice of-- If no one hits, 100% is carried over.

I don't like these and is why I don't play the hi-5.

Carryover provisions are a different topic, and not what I was interested in here

deelo 01-30-2021 12:32 AM

Great question, don't know the right answer but would love to hear your argument to pick a side. If either a bomb or favorite you didn't like gets you, it's nice to cash your bet back on 4/5 but I also realize it dilutes the days you're 5/5 a lot. Not sure the math on that long-term which would solve it, but I can roll 4/5 over here and there for extra chances at the 5/5 once in a while.

46 votes and 3 replies. First impression voting but no strong argument.

formula_2002 04-09-2021 09:56 AM

you most likely will never win the amount you should, so I would try to to increase my "chances" of winning and play with the consolation.
good luck.

LemonSoupKid 05-15-2021 09:48 AM

I play these horizontals on big racing days (P5, not P6 unless a mandatory) and over the long term, they are so hard to hit, I agree with most of the above that I'd rather be rewarded. I'll be playing the P5 today at Pimlico, early and late, it's funny that that wager is the 12% take and they do the hokey rainbow for the Stronach tracks that without a mandatory is a total waste of time.

It's been a while since I hit a P6, so I'm wondering if I should focus more on my singles and cheaper overall tickets (thus losing less when I lose); that bomb random 20-1 shot though is always enticing in some of those ALL type legs ...

:cool: