Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Harness Racing (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Best effort for the mile (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137551)

Stick 04-10-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit (Post 2150966)
For those who believe that a horse who can leave fast and come home fast is a good horse to bet we have a horse at Woodbine in the first race tonight who had the following fractions when he went wire to wire in his last outing from the 7 hole which he won at 17-1.

His fractions were 26-30.2-31.2-26.3. Very unusual fractions even for Woodbine to have two sub 27 qtrs in the race His name is Only Half Bad. He is 5-1 ML and he is racing in the same class.

If you do decide to bet him, good luck. As far as I am concerned I cannot touch him with a 10 ft pole. The reason being wire horses who get away with slow middle halfs make poor bets at the windows.

I don't expect to see this horse in the exacta or the tri.

It was a limited choice. Which line did you prefer instead of this one? That was the question. Do you have success with horses that crawled home in 31?

Jess Hawsen Arown 04-12-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray2000 (Post 2148560)
If a horses paces on the lead at the rail for the full mile,
Which of these pace scenarios shows the best effort?

I see what you are trying to accomplish, but there is not enough information. Important factors are how the fractions compare with the class. The answer is also different depending on track size. The third quarter is almost always the fastest on a 5/8 track, and usually the slowest on a mile track.

In general, a fast first quarter ending with a last quarter faster than the third quarter is best.

Ray2000 04-21-2017 05:36 AM

Poll is closed, thanks to all who voted (most ever I've seen in a Harness Forum)

Surprises me a little, a sustained 1/2 mile effort in the last half of a "Slow Pace" race was most voters choice.
I thought, 2 brushes, at start and end of mile would get the most votes.

Of course in a real race,
turns, cover, driver weight, sulky, surface and a eyeballin' fight for the lead make a big difference.

Sea Biscuit 04-22-2017 08:55 AM

Here is another example from a race at Mohawk recently.

The horse went wire to wire and won and these were the fractions

27.2--31.2--27.2--27.3 --1:53:3

The horse went the first half in 58.3 and then turn on the jets to a 55 flat 2nd half.

With all things being equal with regard to class, post position and driver would you consider this horse to be in good shape to win his next race?

Result after a few replies.

Sea Biscuit 04-22-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit (Post 2150966)
For those who believe that a horse who can leave fast and come home fast is a good horse to bet we have a horse at Woodbine in the first race tonight who had the following fractions when he went wire to wire in his last outing from the 7 hole which he won at 17-1.

His fractions were 26-30.2-31.2-26.3. Very unusual fractions even for Woodbine to have two sub 27 qtrs in the race His name is Only Half Bad. He is 5-1 ML and he is racing in the same class.

If you do decide to bet him, good luck. As far as I am concerned I cannot touch him with a 10 ft pole. The reason being wire horses who get away with slow middle halfs make poor bets at the windows.

I don't expect to see this horse in the exacta or the tri.

For the record Only Half Bad finished 3rd in a 6 horse field at odds of 2.15.

pandy 04-22-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit (Post 2156236)

The horse went the first half in 58.3 and then turn on the jets to a 55 flat 2nd half.

With all things being equal with regard to class, post position and driver would you consider this horse to be in good shape to win his next race?

It looks like a sharp effort to me. Normally horses that go a fast third quarter do not come home that fast, unless they're stakes horses.

Sea Biscuit 04-22-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit (Post 2156236)

Correction.

The 2nd qtr fraction was 31.1 and not 31.2.

Murph 04-22-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandy (Post 2156241)
It looks like a sharp effort to me. Normally horses that go a fast third quarter do not come home that fast, unless they're stakes horses.

This running line looks 'hot' to me. I don't expect improvement in the next week activity/race. Mainly because at same class you will not be allowed the lead on a soft half again. They were very generous and someone's head clock was off until it was too late to go get him. This horse ran well and would not be surprised to see a weekend off after this. In 2 or 3 weeks I may play him on a class jump.