Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Santa Anita's announcement delayed. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66312)

gm10 02-03-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joanied
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I also like the reply from the poster that said SA should copy Saratoga's surface...:ThmbUp:

Would never work. They are a continent apart, the atmospheric conditions are completely different.

gm10 02-03-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymays
Or a few years behind. That's what 80% of people were saying in 2007. Fast forward to 2010 and the 80% are on the other side. Especially the bulk of the Trainers who know best.

Yeah RIGHT!
A dead animal is cheaper than an injured animal. Have you not considered that these guys are running a business, not an animal welfare program?

andymays 02-03-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper
If SA goes back to dirt, what does that mean for Del Mar and Hollywood?

I think that adds a new complication for trainers, owners, and horseplayers that have preferences for one surface or another.

The three surfaces are nothing alike right now so it wouldn't matter.

andymays 02-03-2010 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=gm10]If this happens, good luck explaining a rise of +30% in fatalities. Hope it will have been worth it for you.[/QUOTE]

gm10 shove it "you know where" if you're implying that I want breakdowns. That is a low life comment and if the shoe fits then....... :ThmbDown:

Does John Shirreffs want Zenyatta to break down?

Do any of the others want their horses to break down?

What a friggin jerk you are! :ThmbDown:

Indulto 02-03-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimsus
I can see them adding a 3rd day to the BC championship if we don't already have 1 day too many, one exlusively held on dirt next time it's held at SA presuming obcourse they actually go through another surface change...I always said it was a third surface, let's make everyone happy.

Wouldn't that cannabalize races on the other two surfaces? Where would all the additional horses of reasonable quality come from?

The three days would have to be surface rather than gender-oriented, and be run on separate weekends far enough apart to allow some subset of those horses to run on more than one surface.

classhandicapper 02-03-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

The three surfaces are nothing alike right now so it wouldn't matter.

True, but I think the synthetics are more alike than synthetic is to dirt (though perhaps in some cases it's close).

Maybe it's just me, but if I owned some high level 2YOs and 3YOs, some older stakes horses, a turf horse I thought could handle synthetics, a horse that was doing really well on synthetic, a horse that hated synthetic, etc... my decision about where to keep them might be influenced by the surfaces at the various tracks on the circuit.

CA has so many major stakes, it's going to be kind of difficult to plan a long term campaign when some are run on synthetic and some on dirt.

Kentucky has a similar issue with Keeneland, but I think it's more relevant to places like CA and NY where there are sometime a series of races that horses point to.

I like the idea of going back to dirt, but I like consistency on a circuit also.

andymays 02-03-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

True, but I think the synthetics are more alike than synthetic is to dirt (though perhaps in some cases it's close).

Maybe it's just me, but if I owned some high level 2YOs and 3YOs, some older stakes horses, a turf horse I thought could handle synthetics, a horse that was doing really well on synthetic, a horse that hated synthetic, etc... my decision about where to keep them might be influenced by the surfaces at the various tracks on the circuit.

CA has so many major stakes, it's going to be kind of difficult to plan a long term campaign when some are run on synthetic and some on dirt.

Kentucky has a similar issue with Keeneland, but I think it's more relevant to places like CA and NY where there are sometime a series of races that horses point to.

Hollywood is more like dirt than any other synthetic surface. Right now Pro Ride is more like turf than any other synthetic surface. Del Mar has changed drastically from 2007 to 2009 so who knows what thats like.

Without a Breeders Cup on synthetic and Santa Anita going back to dirt all the major 3yo campaigns and other important races on dirt are going to attract the major contenders. With Santa Anita going to dirt it is a major blow to synthetic advocates and they know it. That's the reason for the earlier post by the jerk who said "he hopes I'm happy to see more horses break down".

Santa Anita has a bigger impact on the national scene and the triple crown trail than do Del Mar or Hollywood.

gm10 02-03-2010 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=andymays]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gm10
If this happens, good luck explaining a rise of +30% in fatalities. Hope it will have been worth it for you.[/QUOTE]

gm10 shove it "you know where" if you're implying that I want breakdowns. That is a low life comment and if the shoe fits then....... :ThmbDown:

Does John Shirreffs want Zenyatta to break down?

Do any of the others want their horses to break down?

What a friggin jerk you are! :ThmbDown:

WTF?
Suddenly I'm a low life? You are the guy who wants to bring back a surface that kills more animals. Hind leg injuries aren't life threatening you know. But if you can live with this, that is your right, of course.

gm10 02-03-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Hollywood is more like dirt than any other synthetic surface. Right now Pro Ride is more like turf than any other synthetic surface. Del Mar has changed drastically from 2007 to 2009 so who knows what thats like.

Without a Breeders Cup on synthetic and Santa Anita going back to dirt all the major 3yo campaigns and other important races on dirt are going to attract the major contenders. With Santa Anita going to dirt it is a major blow to synthetic advocates and they know it. That's the reason for the earlier post by the jerk who said "he hopes I'm happy to see more horses break down".

Santa Anita has a bigger impact on the national scene and the triple crown trail than do Del Mar or Hollywood.

I think that the 'synthetic advocates' @ SA should hold out for one more Triple Crown Season. The plastic horses did well @ CD last year, and I reckon they will do well again this year.

andymays 02-03-2010 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=gm10]
Quote:

WTF?
Suddenly I'm a low life? You are the guy who wants to bring back a surface that kills more animals. Hind leg injuries aren't life threatening you know. But if you can live with this, that is your right, of course.

WTF is right. Up yours! If you want to stick to the line that I want more horses to get killed then go ahead. Every time you post this junk though make sure you throw in John Shirreffs name too. That makes it a little harder for you doens't it?

classhandicapper 02-03-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

I understand and agree.

I think it's a step in the right direction because I prefer dirt racing. But I was hoping they'd all switch back because I also like consistency and I can see some complications for planning because of this.

andymays 02-03-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

I understand and agree.

I think it's a step in the right direction because I prefer dirt racing. But I was hoping they'd all switch back because I also like consistency and I can see some complications for planning because of this.

It's a major war behind the scenes out here right now. There is some talk of Horsemen boycotting Del Mar if they don't go back.

gm10 02-03-2010 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=andymays]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gm10

WTF is right. Up yours! If you want to stick to the line that I want more horses to get killed then go ahead. Every time you post this junk though make sure you throw in John Shirreffs name too. That makes it a little harder for you doens't it?

??
Why would it? Because I prefer Zenyatta to RA?
I would love to see him answer this very question.

Andy, according to an article you posted yourself, dirt racing kills more than synthetic racing. Do you feel good about wanting a new dirt surface @ SA. If you do, you do. I don't, and I don't like you if you do. That doesn't make me a low life.

gm10 02-03-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

I agree about HOL. But it does appear to be safe, though. I didn't follow the last meeting much, but I don't recall any major number of breakdowns.

JustRalph 02-03-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
We'll see how fine they work in Dubai. They just opened.

I'm also not so naive as to think the switch wasn't in part to end American dominance on dirt.

Ding!!!!