Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Winter Olympics (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143248)

barahona44 02-09-2018 06:28 PM

Winter Olympics

The 2018 Winter Olympics start today at Pyeonchang, South Korea (not to be confused with Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea)This is the first time the Winter Games have been held in Korea and the third time in Asia.Some controversies have arisen;Russia has been banned for doping although Russian athletes with a drug free past will be allowed to compete but as neutral participants; they will not have any Russian identification on their uniforms nor will there be raised flags or anthems played for any winners from Russia.Also North Korea and South Korea will March together in the opening ceremony and the two nations will have a combined women's hockey team.It is also expected for at least for the first few days to be the coldest Olympics in decades with Temps in the single digits to below zero ( and that's Fahrenheit, not Celsius).

Although I've never strapped on a pair of skis in my life (keep repeating "Sonny Bono") and I've haven't skated since I was 11 or 12, I enjoy watching the Winter Olympics more than the Summer games.Maybe it's because the different competitions (except for hockey and a couple of others) tend to be short duration and they seem to be more set up for television viewing than the more team oriented summer events.

However the Olympics themselves seem to be getting both more ridicously expensive to put on and also getting less and less attention.I wonder if in 20 years, they will even exsist,given all the issues.

cj 02-09-2018 08:51 PM

You can barely find anything on TV so far. I've already lost interest.

kingfin66 02-09-2018 09:04 PM

I agree, coverage is so hard to track that it is easy to lose interest. I can only take short bursts of any event unless it is hockey. My favorite events are:

Downhill skiing
Bobsled
Hockey
Ski jumping

In that order.

Tom 02-09-2018 09:12 PM

I was watching curling last night.
My favorite! S Korea got whupped.

They even had an injury!!!
Just can't get enough curling.

Tom 02-09-2018 09:30 PM

jocko699 02-09-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2274413)

How do you even talk to your buddies about an injury suffered playing curling?

zico20 02-09-2018 10:20 PM

My favorite are:

1) Alpine skiing
2) Short track speed skating
3) Luge

As far as the alpine skiing goes, I like them from fastest to slowest.

downhill
super giant slalom
giant slalom
slalom

The most boring event is curling. The figure skating on Thursday had so many men fall, some fell two out of their three jumps. WOW!

I also like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics.

Clocker 02-09-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Real men don't do curling without beer.

Clocker 02-09-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfin66 (Post 2274400)
I agree, coverage is so hard to track that it is easy to lose interest. I can only take short bursts of any event unless it is hockey. My favorite events are:

Downhill skiing
Bobsled
Hockey
Ski jumping

You may like Olympic ski jumping, but the jumpers don't. :eek:

Quote:

Olympic ski jumping is such a dangerous sport that professional ski jumpers are purposely trying to stay jet-lagged so they will be psyched for competition in Pyeongchang, South Korea, reported the Wall Street Journal Wednesday.

Some ski-jumpers are taking an unconventional approach to ease their nerves ahead by purposely trying to stay jet-lagged ahead of their first competition at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games Saturday, reported the Wall Street Journal.
http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/08/ol...mping-jet-lag/

Greyfox 02-09-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

That's Mixed Doubles Curling, with lots of stones in the 4 foot circle.
The Mens and Ladies Curling with 4 players a team is even better on TV!

Clocker 02-09-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2274466)
The Mens and Ladies Curling with 4 players a team is even better on TV!

Yeah, it's even more exciting than bowling. :rolleyes:

Lemon Drop Husker 02-09-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2274456)

I have actually become to love curling more than any other Winter Olympic sport.

1 You could drink while playing
2.You get to yell out loud and even scream obscenities and nobody cares
3. Most of the other dipshits are outside

turfnsport 02-10-2018 12:42 AM

I'm using the NBC Olympics App with my Firestick. It's awesome. Can watch anything on demand and they have live channels as well. Replays on all the events and you can fast forward. You can watch when you want and not depend on the NBC prime time where all we will get is a steady diet of skating.

Clocker 02-10-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker (Post 2274474)
I have actually become to love curling more than any other Winter Olympic sport.

1 You could drink while playing
2.You get to yell out loud and even scream obscenities and nobody cares
3. Most of the other dipshits are outside

https://i.imgur.com/gGkMUx9.gif

rastajenk 02-10-2018 07:13 AM

I'm hip to your humor, clock. :cool:

Inner Dirt 02-10-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

I will watch it just to laugh at it for a couple minutes.

MutuelClerk 02-10-2018 10:28 AM

It's good to border Canada and not have to watch NBC. CBC has more live events, less BS.

Clocker that was funny. If I believed in the rep power thing I would have given you points. Well played.....

burnsy 02-10-2018 12:29 PM

I like some of the events. Growing up and living in upstate NY i was into downhill skiing as a young man. Its really fun if you enjoy the outdoors and speed. Unfortunately, my health issues kind of made me give it up. I go like once a year to West Mtn., and rent.

Living fairly close to White Face Mtn. and Lake Placid I still remember 1980. I graduated High School that year. My best friends dad worked for Monsanto and he had a wad of tickets for all the events. I went to the downhill skiing and the Ski jump events. Those cats have balls! Forget about the luge and bob sled, they are just nuts! During the off season they would let you try the bob sled but you were more than halfway through the course when you started and you rode with the driver.

That was the year we beat the Russians with real amateurs. Hockey baby! Those corporate guys scooped all those tickets but i was in the village when we won.........it was a riot, something I'll never forget. American flags and drunks screaming in every bar. Of course the drinking age was 18 then too! It was one of the greatest upsets in the history of all sports. Good luck USA!

Clocker 02-10-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutuelClerk (Post 2274549)

Clocker that was funny. If I believed in the rep power thing I would have given you points. Well played.....

Thanks. I agree about the points system. It's too much like high school popularity contests.

Tom 02-10-2018 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2274435)
How do you even talk to your buddies about an injury suffered playing curling?

Brag it up!

oughtoh 02-11-2018 12:02 AM

The young kid that won the gold for the USA in the snowboard event was awsome.

davew 02-18-2018 08:27 PM

South Korea probably going to lose $10 billion hosting the Olympics. It might be worth it if they become friends again with North Korea.

jocko699 02-18-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2275111)
Brag it up!

I like it!!!!!!!

jocko699 02-18-2018 08:42 PM

I really enjoyed the biathlon and cross country skiing. These athletes are unbelievably fit.

_______ 02-18-2018 09:14 PM

Ski cross and board cross are probably the best spectator sport in any Olympics. It’s 6 people side by side through jumps and turns and is basically NASCAR on ice. There are no judges. It’s whoever crosses the line first.

I also still like downhill and super g because I like to ski fast and need to be reminded on occasion that I don’t actually know what fast is.

I watch CNBC most weekdays and have to say their ads for curling could be taken as self aware embarrassment. “Curling is what we’ve got” isn’t so much a tag line as it is dejected honesty.

It does apparently have a viewer base that rivals golf in terms of wealth though.

cj 02-19-2018 02:59 AM

The sports that don't involve judges are always the best.

barahona44 02-19-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2278930)
South Korea probably going to lose $10 billion hosting the Olympics. It might be worth it if they become friends again with North Korea.

Russia lost $ 50 billion on the Sochi Olympics.I'm surprised Putin had enough rubles left over to buy the election for Trump.

Tom 02-19-2018 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2274456)

Uh oh..... looks like trouble for the curling people.
What happened this guy get "stoned? :pound:

Marshall Bennett 02-19-2018 12:54 PM

I really enjoy the ski jumping, bobsled, luge, figure skating, alpine skiing, and speed-skating.
I cannot watch snowboarding, ice hockey, curling, and cross-country.

woodtoo 02-20-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2279115)
Uh oh..... looks like trouble for the curling people.
What happened this guy get "stoned? :pound:

Not so fast Ruskies winners DQ'd for drug use in curling. Tough to beat the best without help.;)

upthecreek 02-20-2018 10:05 AM

US Curling Team

They actually have a sports psychologist travel with them to help them with the mental part of curling Who knew Curling so stressful.:)

upthecreek 02-20-2018 10:09 AM

Photo finish

They had a photo finish in Men's Biathlon. About 20-25 seconds after the finish the reverse image photo vwas posted, sort of like horse racing.:lol:

Also on 2 man bobsled, after 4 runs they had a deadheat for the Gold Medal.

MutuelClerk 02-20-2018 11:27 AM

I enjoy the short track speed skating. Inquiries after every race what's not to like? Also the downhill is just amazing to me. flat out speed. Think about hitting the brakes, you're beaten. Never shot a gun in my life I have cross country skied. The biathlon is another sport I like. Love hockey, but haven't watched the men's at all. Hoping USA women beat Canada tomorrow night.

Because the NHL players aren't participating I find myself watching less this year. I still enjoy the Winter Games though.

Tom 02-20-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthecreek (Post 2279659)
They actually have a sports psychologist travel with them to help them with the mental part of curling Who knew Curling so stressful.:)

It is a tough, demanding sport. Takes real stones to play it at that level.

HalvOnHorseracing 02-21-2018 09:42 PM

What's all the yelling about when the stone is headed for the house?

upthecreek 02-22-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing (Post 2280466)
What's all the yelling about when the stone is headed for the house?

They're giving the sweepers instructions on to sweep, not to sweep and how hard.
US just beat Canada and now play for the Gold for the 1st time in history.

cj 02-22-2018 12:04 PM

The great thing about curling is that everyone thinks they can do it because it looks easy. Of course it is FAR from easy.

sour grapes 02-22-2018 12:06 PM

id be ashamed to be a canadien

after that pitiful display of being sore losers after the womens hockey team lost to the americans.jocelyn laroque was an ahole.

upthecreek 02-22-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2280671)
The great thing about curling is that everyone thinks they can do it because it looks easy. Of course it is FAR from easy.

I really enjoy it It reminds me a little bit of the long board shuffleboard we'd play with quoits at the local VFW

Greyfox 02-22-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sour grapes (Post 2280673)
after that pitiful display of being sore losers after the womens hockey team lost to the americans.jocelyn laroque was an ahole.

The U.S. Women's Hockey team were worthy champs, however the Gold Medal should never be awarded by a Shootout.
Shootouts are inventions to accommodate TV schedules.
They may be okay in earlier games but not in Gold Medal finals.