Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TJ SIMERS: No more horse racing, but future appears sweet for Rick Baedeker (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73844)

DJofSD 08-08-2010 10:48 AM

TJ SIMERS: No more horse racing, but future appears sweet for Rick Baedeker

Quote:

"In a declining industry,'' he concludes, "there just wasn't room for me.''
- Rick Baedeker
In this mornings LA Times, T. J. Simers has this article about Rick Baedeker and his struggles.

Hedevar 08-08-2010 11:55 AM

Interesting article. Wish him luck as it cannot be easy starting over at 60.

GaryG 08-24-2010 05:54 PM

I just came across this. What a smirky-ass article this is on a very seious subject. RB should have taken this Simers character to the woodshed, Best wishes Rick!

Hanover1 08-24-2010 09:06 PM

I can totally relate with this guy. Went from 65 head to 1 myself. Started attending the Hambletonian as a kid, and had success with starters in the same race for many years, as recently as this decade (however last was off the board...) Drove a Benz while dad was driven around in a Silver Cloud RR. He has passed on and I take care of 1 horse myself to help pass the days now, and drive home in an aged Town Car. Its tough to watch the sport you love pass you by, but it is a part of life we all will experience at some point......
My best goes out to this man.

JustRalph 08-24-2010 09:48 PM

Did the writer kick him in the nuts after he finished the article

That was all that was left to finish the smart ass writer routine

elhelmete 08-25-2010 12:13 PM

Simers is an ashwhole.

It's ironic too...the LA Times is dying a sad death even quicker and more spectacularly than Simers claims horseracing is. I guarantee he'll be asking "you want fries with that?" a lot sooner than he thinks.

46zilzal 08-25-2010 12:15 PM

I remember Baedecker's cards sold outside the gate in So California for years.