Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Library (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Books for Newbies (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141550)

SandyW 11-05-2017 11:11 PM

Denny 11-06-2017 04:01 PM

Ainslie

How can you not include Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing?????

Or ANY of his other books.

Why list Andy Beyer at the top of the list?

He's going to get extra votes just for that.

CincyHorseplayer 11-06-2017 04:22 PM

I picked Beyer as much for his insight into the game and because I like his stories and actually has some literary skill! I like Quinn because he has an intense grasp on the game and writes like they are textbooks. I wish Beyer would write a big fat 1,000 pager on just racetrack experiences. I know he's got it in him! Andy whatta ya say brother?!

CincyHorseplayer 11-06-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyW (Post 2238903)

Sandy this is a great book. His turf thoughts which are few I don't agree with but applying the fulcrum concept to turf races more than any exposes pretenders. It was my saving grace at Saratoga!

Racetrack Playa 11-06-2017 05:55 PM

For newbies and oldies :ThmbUp:
How To Win At The Race$ by Sam(the Genius)Lewin -1969-
and The War of Art by Steven Pressfield -2002-

thaskalos 11-06-2017 09:38 PM

One book that I WOULD'T recommend to a newcomer is Beyer's PICKING WINNERS. The notion that the Beyer figures are "the Way, the Truth and the Light", while class and pace have "nothing to do" with the race-results that we see...could cause irreversible damage to the novice player's bankroll.

Michael 11-06-2017 10:28 PM

Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing gets the nod from me. :ThmbUp:

AndyC 11-07-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2239144)
One book that I WOULD'T recommend to a newcomer is Beyer's PICKING WINNERS. The notion that the Beyer figures are "the Way, the Truth and the Light", while class and pace have "nothing to do" with the race-results that we see...could cause irreversible damage to the novice player's bankroll.

I have known some very successful figure players who ignore the pace and class.

thaskalos 11-07-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyC (Post 2239396)
I have known some very successful figure players who ignore the pace and class.

They must have trainers like the late Bobby Frankel whispering in their ears.

zerosky 11-08-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 2239164)
Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing gets the nod from me. :ThmbUp:

me too

JustRalph 11-09-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMB@BP (Post 2235591)
I feel like in the world of super trainers, rebates, contests, drugs, etc that a lot of those older books have fallen by the way side.

Very diplomatic. You’re exactly right 👍

CincyHorseplayer 11-12-2017 05:57 PM

All those books are great for basic handicapping. Didn't we all run out of books for the most part before we realized that there was slim pickins on being a great bettor? Many of the handicappers confessed that they didn't play much. Targeting a meet or two per year. Learning the landscape of available tracks and times and where you are good or bad and having something to sink your teeth into regularly during different seasons of the year is huge too. When I first got on here I was glad to get Scooby Snacks from my peers for being a decent handicapper but it didn't take long to realize I was not a great bettor! And after a lengthy stop play in 2015 I am only starting to realize that I am becoming a smarter player. After 21 years! The mentoring here helps. I can be social and antisocial at times on track. Not exactly the consistency required to develop sustained learning relationships.

biggestal99 11-17-2017 01:41 PM

I went with the two BEYERS and one Davidowitz.

cycles by Cramer, and Brohamer Modern pace handicapping

after those 3 are fully digested,

Allan

thaskalos 11-18-2017 12:02 PM

I posted this link in another forum of this site...but I think that it fits here too. A great place for the beginning player to visit, IMO...and also good for a revisit by the "grizzled veterans" among us. Plenty of handicapping and betting information...without any effort or cost attached in order to avail ourselves of it.

http://www.handicapping.com/library/

BettinBilly 11-23-2017 02:59 PM

This isn't going to be a popular post, but honestly, it's a great book for a newbie.

"Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies" by Richard Eng.

Yeah, I know. Those "Dummie" books are for real dummies, right? I used to think that, but honestly, this is a truly well written book. Eng is a good author and his 20 years as Turf Editor and Handicapper for the Las Vegas Review-Journal gives him a good foundation to write this book. His style of writing is concise, fact-filled and yet fun to read.

I read this book about 5 years ago on a whim.... I think it was on super special on Amazon Kindle, so I went for it. I have read all the popular books over the years, and really tried to read this book as if I knew NOTHING about handicapping or horse racing in general. I have to say, it would be (IMO of course) a GREAT book for a newbie.

-Billy