Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Smallest jockey (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55805)

rumsplash 03-19-2009 01:20 PM

Smallest jockey

Being brought up around Aqueduct ..Does anyone remember Richard Privatera..That was smallest jock I ever saw..

eastie 03-19-2009 01:35 PM

The Little Colonel William Klinke is the smallest I ever saw. If the money was down. you could depend on Billy. His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL.

the little guy 03-19-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumsplash
Being brought up around Aqueduct ..Does anyone remember Richard Privatera..That was smallest jock I ever saw..

I saw the name of the thread and thought of him immediately.

ManeMediaMogul 03-19-2009 03:06 PM

Rick Privatera rode a race for me at Golden Gate or Bay Meadows. He was a tiny guy.

Johnny Adams was pretty small too. When he trained for Glen Hill Farm, he had a five-step staircase built that he used to climb up to get on his pony.

Maryland Owner 03-19-2009 03:27 PM

There was a rider at Charles Town years ago named William Gray - he was quite small.

juanepstein 03-19-2009 04:02 PM

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...vMbxF/610x.jpg
australian jock chris munce is a lilliputian but has ballz the size of watermelons when it comes to racing.

JWBurnie 03-19-2009 05:10 PM

Joe Riston - CT

Joe Riston is the smallest I have ever seen. On certain horses he would walk under (slight nod) rather than going around when tacking up.

BombsAway Bob 03-20-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastie
The Little Colonel William Klinke is the smallest I ever saw. If the money was down. you could depend on Billy. His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL.

Billy Klinke got my one of my "first" Big Trifectas when he ran 3rd in a race at Tampa Bay that was won by Chin Yang @ 30/1 in the mid-90's..I Had to survive an inquiry on the win and a photo won by "The Little Colonel" for show.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Klinke & Vernon Bush that got caught by Police in a "Bolivian Snowstorm" while parked in a car in the fabulous '80s??? :eek:

Bruddah 03-20-2009 01:38 PM

Hey Juanepstein

Thanks for the pictures. Those young ladies make a very fine line up and I wouldn't mind being the jockey for that group. Well, if somebodies gonna do it, Why not the old guy? :lol:

But seriously Juan, you're gonna have to get out of that dark room and away from your computer for awhile. Your other picture shows you are lacking "live" social interaction. :D

Never the less, the girls added a nice moment to my day. :ThmbUp:

Valuist 03-20-2009 02:23 PM

Among guys who get a decent amount of mounts, Eddie Perez comes to mind. And going back a few years, Rick Evans.

mountainman 03-20-2009 03:27 PM

Shoemaker was one of the smallest I've met. And I think his size provided him an advantage. Bigger riders can't perch their weight as far forward over the horse's strong withers as can littler jocks. Tiny guys with good hands and balance get the most run from a horse.

LIH 03-20-2009 06:39 PM

hogwash. Have you watched Ramon Dominquez? NOT a small guy, moves all over an animal like Ned the Coachman, but sure gets run out of a horse. That is because the horses he's riding CAN run. He sure doesn't get in their way, and prevent them from running or winning for that matter. I am not believing that a smaller jockey who can "perch" a certain way is going to win the races RD wins by more lengths getting more run out of one.

juanepstein 03-20-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruddah
Thanks for the pictures. Those young ladies make a very fine line up and I wouldn't mind being the jockey for that group. Well, if somebodies gonna do it, Why not the old guy? :lol:

But seriously Juan, you're gonna have to get out of that dark room and away from your computer for awhile. Your other picture shows you are lacking "live" social interaction. :D

Never the less, the girls added a nice moment to my day. :ThmbUp:

lol,
Carl Brutananadilewski!!!!!!!!!

rules

SaratogaSteve 03-20-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the little guy
I saw the name of the thread and thought of him immediately.

Same here. I seem to remember him getting mounts in some handicap races on horses weighted at 102 & 103 pounds...

boomman 03-21-2009 12:39 AM

Smaller jockeys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valuist
Among guys who get a decent amount of mounts, Eddie Perez comes to mind. And going back a few years, Rick Evans.

You nailed it with Rick Evans, as I worked with him when he was a steward at Albuquerque, and although he certainly had to be one of the smaller riders and came to mind immediately, he is a "big" man in the booth and was great to work with. Also a great guy and had a beer with him at Hawthorne a few years ago after the races. He's still there as a steward as far as I know..........

Boomer

thruncy 03-21-2009 12:32 PM

Hey Meester

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIH
hogwash. Have you watched Ramon Dominquez? NOT a small guy, moves all over an animal like Ned the Coachman, but sure gets run out of a horse. That is because the horses he's riding CAN run. He sure doesn't get in their way, and prevent them from running or winning for that matter. I am not believing that a smaller jockey who can "perch" a certain way is going to win the races RD wins by more lengths getting more run out of one.

You didn't come loogink for a discussion. You came loogink for an argument!

LIH 03-21-2009 02:52 PM

Quite the contrary, I assure you, an argument is not what I was looking for. I disagree with the small rider statement. It is all individual from jockey to jockey. If you have an eye for such things, you can tell a successful rider who helps get run out of his horses, and those who are mearly passengers. The rider example I gave is a perfect one. He is not the conventional image of the size, or the style of what people who make such statements tend to think would be the "total package rider", but it surely does not stop the man from getting run, and winning ALOT of races with his horses. I don't like general sweeping statements as such, that small riders get more run out of horses than taller riders. It is in fact, just plain not true.

thats all,
Have a great day,
LIH

mountainman 03-22-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIH
Quite the contrary, I assure you, an argument is not what I was looking for. I disagree with the small rider statement. It is all individual from jockey to jockey. If you have an eye for such things, you can tell a successful rider who helps get run out of his horses, and those who are mearly passengers. The rider example I gave is a perfect one. He is not the conventional image of the size, or the style of what people who make such statements tend to think would be the "total package rider", but it surely does not stop the man from getting run, and winning ALOT of races with his horses. I don't like general sweeping statements as such, that small riders get more run out of horses than taller riders. It is in fact, just plain not true.

thats all,
Have a great day,
LIH

And I disagree when someone suggests that a single (or even several) exception(s) automatically refutes a general premise. Of course there are some larger jockeys who are highly successful, just as Nate Robinson can dunk, but it's much easier for Dwight Howard. To some extent, your previous post -about how hard r.d. has to work on a horse-makes my point for me. I've probably wagered on 50,000 races, and witnessed perhaps twice that many, and it's my observation that thoroughbreds run best for jockeys able to position their weight well forward over the withers. Most big riders sit further back, unless they straighten their legs euro-style, which constitutes poor form in the USA. To better prove my point, ignore elite riders for a minute and focus on those lacking skill. I think you will agree that real bums tend to have bigger frames.

mountainman 03-24-2016 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryland Owner
There was a rider at Charles Town years ago named William Gray - he was quite small.

Gray got incredible run from his mounts. Willie could curl into a ball and position virtually all his wgt up on the withers, where, in my opinion, a horse is least encumbered by the impost.

I believe that smaller riders have an advantage-and a formidable patron saint in Willie Shoemaker.

ReplayRandall 03-24-2016 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman
Gray got incredible run from his mounts. Willie could curl into a ball and position virtually all his wgt up on the withers, where, in my opinion, a horse is least encumbered by the impost.

I believe that smaller riders have an advantage-and a formidable patron saint in Willie Shoemaker.

I agree, but they also must have strong hands for the stretch-drive.....

mountainman 03-24-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
I agree, but they also must have strong hands for the stretch-drive.....

Good point, sir. Gray invariably needed an outrider to catch his mounts on the gallop outs, because he just couldn't pull a horse up.

thaskalos 03-24-2016 03:44 AM

There was a jockey named Rick Evans at the Chicago-area tracks when I first started in the game. He had to be the shortest jockey I ever saw.

Shemp Howard 03-24-2016 09:02 AM

Julie Krone is 4'10".

Milkshaker 03-24-2016 12:32 PM

Klinke rode at 4'3" and 102 pounds. However, he could bench press more than any other jock in the room. Massive upper body for a guy his size. He could really pump on a horse.

However, neither of these statements posted above about him are true:

1) "His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL."

He was friends since age 4 with Mike Tice, the former NFL player/coach. See this story: http://www.newsday.com/sports/sunday...-buds-1.425366

2) "If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Klinke & Vernon Bush that got caught by Police in a "Bolivian Snowstorm" while parked in a car in the fabulous '80s???"

That's flat-out wrong. It was Bush and another jockey (I've forgotten who) who got busted doing coke on the way back from Northampton Fair in the early 1990s.

From the article cited above:

"Klinke eventually had to retire from racing because of multiple injuries, the last coming in 1997 at upstate Finger Lakes.

"The horse bolted off the track, hit the end of the rail, and I fractured

nine ribs and had a punctured lung," said Klinke, who still has pain from those

injuries. "I was in the hospital for 28 days, but Mike was a big help for me

then, giving me pep talks all the time."

Klinke has since become a motivational speaker, traveling across Florida to

speak to young people.

"Another friend of mine who's short works with me, and we talk to kids

about achieving and about bullying. We try to tell them about what's important

in life. The message is that it's not what you look like, but what's inside

you."

Knowclew 03-24-2016 01:01 PM

Chicago area players have mentioned Rick Evans and EE Perez, but another from the late 70's was James Long. Didn't get a lot of mounts, but I remember being taller than him, and I wasn't very tall then.

v j stauffer 03-24-2016 02:41 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned the great Ralph Garcia.

Rode mostly in Oregon and Washington. A few in Nor. Cal.

See him all the time. Working as an agent.

Had his daughter Shyann's book when she rode a few years back.

SuperPickle 03-24-2016 03:16 PM

The smallest big time jocks the last 20 years or so would have to be Julie and Chop Chop. Chavez was definitely under five feet. Maybe 4-10.

On the other end Mike McCarthy was around 5-9, 5-10. He was just creepy looking when he rode 112. In the NYRA world I believe the Mig was big but not super big. Like 5'6.

The most interesting part is according to old school trainers you can be too small to be a jockey. Basically some trainers feel "dead weight" is really bad an a horse. So if a horse has to carry significant weight other than the jockey he has disadvantage to horses that are carrying the same weight of mostly human.

So a 85 pound jockey would probably have trouble getting mounts,'

FrankieFigs 03-24-2016 06:21 PM

John McKee came to my mind. He is 4'9" but looks much smaller when he walks in th e paddock with other jocks.

Prytanis 03-24-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumsplash

Thanks for the trip down memory lane
He was riding when i started going to the races at Aqueduct in the 70s

NY BRED 03-25-2016 05:02 AM

smallest jockey

while this topic was raised, what about the tallest jockey
to ever ride a thoroughbred?

:eek:

SandyW 03-25-2016 06:52 AM

Julie Krone 149 cm ( 4 ft 10.5 in)

Julie Krone born on July , 24 1963 at Benton Harbour,Michigan is a retired American jockey.Krone is America's shortest jockey ever. In 1993, she became the first female jockey to win a Triple Crown race when she captured the Belmont Stakes aboard Colonial Affair. In 2000 she became the first woman inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.

Bennie 03-25-2016 08:23 AM

Can't find his actual height but one of the taller jocks has to be Stewart Elliot. I remember thinking how funny he looked riding Smarty Jones. Almost like his feet could touch the ground if he took them out of the stirrups.

Knowclew 03-25-2016 08:39 PM

Among the tallest has to be R.A. Cowboy Jones.

castaway01 03-26-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowclew
Among the tallest has to be R.A. Cowboy Jones.

Humorously, in a book about him, Jones claims to have lost 7 inches in height during his racing career from injuries and crouching in the saddle. Okay.

Tallest jockey I've seen in recent years would be Mike McCarthy, who I believe was 5 foot 9. He could ride too.

DSB 03-26-2016 10:35 AM

Shortest I can remember was an old Narragansett jockey named James Allan. He was what I think is termed a "dwarf." When he stood next to a horse, he looked about 3 feet tall. I remember seeing him at 'gansett around 1973.

Tallest could be Kelly Castaneda. He looked like a stick and was taller than many of the trainers who gave him a leg up.

Mike McCarthy might have been tall but his son, Trevor, can just about look me in the eye, and I'm 6'.