Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bring Back Hialeah! (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170307)

Thomas Roulston 04-28-2022 07:13 PM

Bring Back Hialeah!

Running at Gulfstream more or less 365 days a year is tedious - and that 898-foot stretch is so lame!

And if Hialeah is brought back, then so can the Flamingo - for decades a major Derby prep - be brought back as well.

Why not?

cardinalsfan 04-28-2022 07:52 PM

Hmmm...

Don't think there is a chance in hell that will happen, but it would be great!

Bustin Stones 04-28-2022 09:03 PM

Decades ago we toured Hialeah on a vacation. The interior is so beautiful it makes other tracks look like dumps.

wisconsin 04-28-2022 09:07 PM

No chance in hell that GP would give up one racing day, considering that they handle what they do.

v j stauffer 04-30-2022 12:46 AM

I'm in!

Thomas Roulston 04-30-2022 06:11 PM

Didn't Gulfstream "tolerate" the existence of Gulfstream Park West (formerly Calder) for decades?

These closings of tracks need to be stopped (Arlington being the latest casualty) - and reversed, whenever possible.

wisconsin 05-01-2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston (Post 2801612)
Didn't Gulfstream "tolerate" the existence of Gulfstream Park West (formerly Calder) for decades?

These closings of tracks need to be stopped (Arlington being the latest casualty) - and reversed, whenever possible.

They leased the grounds from CDI, and It was their meet. CDI took it away and went with Jai-alai.

Thomas Roulston 05-07-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin (Post 2801768)
They leased the grounds from CDI, and It was their meet. CDI took it away and went with Jai-alai.

So why can't Hialeah become "Gulfstream Park South" - or whatever the direction would be?

wisconsin 05-07-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston (Post 2802970)
So why can't Hialeah become "Gulfstream Park South" - or whatever the direction would be?

Does Hialeah want to partner-up with the track that did them in?

Brunetti could have run a mixed meet and chose not to do so.

GaryG 05-07-2022 05:24 PM

What condition is it in? I was last there in 1993 and it was still beautiful.

Thomas Roulston 05-07-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin (Post 2802986)
Does Hialeah want to partner-up with the track that did them in?

Brunetti could have run a mixed meet and chose not to do so.

John Brunetti Sr. died in 2018.

thespaah 05-07-2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston (Post 2801612)

For years, the two South Florida tracks at the behest of the Government of the State of Florida were granted the prime winter dates in alternate years.
A change in Florida State law eliminated the 'exclusive date' rule under which Hialeah and Gulfstream existed.
Gulfstream won the battle( most likely due to political concerns). With that, Hialeah owner John Brunetti declined to apply for 2002 race dates.
By 2004, Florida State regulations deemed the track's license to conduct parimutuel racing was revoked.

thespaah 05-07-2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 2802990)
What condition is it in? I was last there in 1993 and it was still beautiful.

It did fall into disrepair. However, as the facility has gained designation as a National Historic Place, it has been renovated.

BMustang 05-08-2022 12:52 AM

Another major consideration is the "war zone" in which it is located. Many buildings in South Florid have bars on their windows. In Hialeah, entire buildings are enclosed in fencing.

Back in the 40s and 50s Hialeah was the place to be. The place reeked of elegance and was an escape from the winters up north. However, in the 70s and 80s the City of Hialeah deteriorated, becoming a very unsafe place. The track itself was located inside walls and high hedges.]

In 1995 I flew into Miami International and hopped in a cab. I told the Latin driver, Hialeah! He looked at me and said, "You no want to go there." I followed it up with Racetrack - Hialeah Racetrack, to which he nodded and delivered me to the canopied entranceway.

Thomas Roulston 05-08-2022 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMustang (Post 2803138)
Another major consideration is the "war zone" in which it is located. Many buildings in South Florid have bars on their windows. In Hialeah, entire buildings are enclosed in fencing.

Back in the 40s and 50s Hialeah was the place to be. The place reeked of elegance and was an escape from the winters up north. However, in the 70s and 80s the City of Hialeah deteriorated, becoming a very unsafe place. The track itself was located inside walls and high hedges.]

In 1995 I flew into Miami International and hopped in a cab. I told the Latin driver, Hialeah! He looked at me and said, "You no want to go there." I followed it up with Racetrack - Hialeah Racetrack, to which he nodded and delivered me to the canopied entranceway.

Didn't this same issue doom Hollywood Park?