Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Formely Matt Carothers thread, but hijacked by Vic (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147621)

ronsmac 09-22-2018 02:33 PM

Formely Matt Carothers thread, but hijacked by Vic

He needs to be a solo host. I have tvg on in the background and I'm barely paying attention to it, yet still annoyed at how many times Matt steps on Eurton and vice versa. I finally changed the channel. He's not bad on television just not good when he has to work with someone else.

turfnsport 09-22-2018 02:57 PM

Whoever he works with he interrupts nearly every sentence. He steps on everyone ALL the time. It's incredibly annoying. Nobody can finish a sentence when he is on the air.

I have been using RTN and the NYRA app to stream on TV lately, and the silence in between races is very relaxing.

Tom 09-22-2018 04:00 PM

He has been 10 years old for 30 years now.

thaskalos 09-22-2018 04:15 PM

If the TVG host isn't named Nick Hines...then I reach for the mute button.

Mike_412 09-22-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turfnsport (Post 2373938)
I have been using RTN and the NYRA app to stream on TV lately, and the silence in between races is very relaxing.

So much this. I bought a Roku prior to the Saratoga meet. Between the free NYRA Now app and buying a subscription to RTN playing from home has been much more enjoyable. Highly recommend to anyone on the fence.

Tom 09-22-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2373986)

Is that the Sarge guy?
He's always going "He yaw"
I though he was throwing up.:lol:

v j stauffer 09-22-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

What???

castaway01 09-22-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Don't lie, we know you're writing down Vic's picks...

v j stauffer 09-22-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castaway01 (Post 2374140)
Don't lie, we know you're writing down Vic's picks...

Even if he isn't. I KNOW I'm not on mute. Thasky will be listening for me to say something stupid that he can bust my balls about.

Warning: I'm on next weekend the 28th, 29th & 30th. Combination of TVG & TVG2.

v j stauffer 09-22-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turfnsport (Post 2373938)
Whoever he works with he interrupts nearly every sentence. He steps on everyone ALL the time. It's incredibly annoying. Nobody can finish a sentence when he is on the air.

Next time I do a shift on TVG 2 if you'd like I'll have you on as a guest handicapper.

Spice up the silence. :)

thaskalos 09-22-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2374110)
What???

Truth be told...I've only seen you there once lately, and it was for a shorter-than-normal session. The other guys have a more "regular" working schedule...so, I naturally thought only of them when I made my prior "mute button" comment. No...I don't mute you out, VIc...and I particularly like when you go out on a limb once in a while. That's what I admire about The Sarge too. The other guys there are too "wishy-washy" for my taste. :ThmbDown:

thaskalos 09-22-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2374143)
Next time I do a shift on TVG 2 if you'd like I'll have you on as a guest handicapper.

Does this offer apply to me, as well? But...I'd like you to know that, with me as a guest handicapper...you'd be lucky to get a word in edgewise.

NY BRED 09-22-2018 10:58 PM

TVG HOSTS

Matt actually ran his own show on TVG about three years ago.

I think the perfect co-host would be Simon who gives insight into breeding.
and/or Dave Weaver who provides picks based on the sheets.

v j stauffer 09-22-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2374150)
Truth be told...I've only seen you there once lately, and it was for a shorter-than-normal session. The other guys have a more "regular" working schedule...so, I naturally thought only of them when I made my prior "mute button" comment. No...I don't mute you out, VIc...and I particularly like when you go out on a limb once in a while. That's what I admire about The Sarge too. The other guys there are too "wishy-washy" for my taste. :ThmbDown:

The Sarge is a terrific handicapper. Has a feel like an elite player. Or at least what I hear elite players are like.

v j stauffer 09-22-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2374152)
Does this offer apply to me, as well? But...I'd like you to know that, with me as a guest handicapper...you'd be lucky to get a word in edgewise.

Sure Thasky. First rule of broadcasting is don't bring on a guest that knows more than you. But what the heck. Columbus took a chance. You can come on too.

VigorsTheGrey 09-22-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2374177)
Sure Thasky. First rule of broadcasting is don't bring on a guest that knows more than you. But what the heck. Columbus took a chance. You can come on too.

Vic, anyway you could plug PaceAdvantage Website in the interest of getting talent on the board...? ;)...you could suggest that it is a great online discussion board for race fans, owners, trainers, jockeys, and other racing “personalities”...?

turfnsport 09-22-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2374143)

Haha... I think I'd be more suitable for TVG3 or TVG4...I don't watch RTN when you are on though.

JustRalph 09-22-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey (Post 2374181)
Vic, anyway you could plug PaceAdvantage Website in the interest of getting talent on the board...? ;)...you could suggest that it is a great online discussion board for race fans, owners, trainers, jockeys, and other racing “personalities”...?

Why? They all have been here and still lurk.

VigorsTheGrey 09-22-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2374189)
Why? They all have been here and still lurk.

I think there are a lot of race fans that have never heard of PA and Vic’s presence at TVG would be a great opportunity to get the word out, no..?

how cliche 09-23-2018 01:08 AM

how cliche

my problem with matt carruthers is he appears to be drunk on the air. the next time any of you are setting up to grind for a day, note how he seems cogent and lucid at the beginning of his shift. contrast that with how he looks and acts the end of it.

turfnsport 09-23-2018 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by how cliche (Post 2374197)
my problem with matt carruthers is he appears to be drunk on the air. the next time any of you are setting up to grind for a day, note how he seems cogent and lucid at the beginning of his shift. contrast that with how he looks and acts the end of it.

Cmon man. He's not drunk. No need to go there. Although I do think by the end of his of shift many of the TVG viewers may be.

Tom 09-23-2018 09:43 AM

My boss used to tell us that if we want to drink at lunch, we should drink bourbon and not vodka. He would rather the customers knew we were drunk than think we were stupid!

the little guy 09-23-2018 10:00 AM

Matt is extremely knowledgable and well prepared. Does that not count for a lot? He's also a personality. All of these things make him good at his job. The fact that you are talking about him means he's doing his job well.

turfnsport 09-23-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the little guy (Post 2374256)
The fact that you are talking about him means he's doing his job well.

By your logic if I read a bad review of a new album in Rolling Stone I should still buy the record?

the little guy 09-23-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turfnsport (Post 2374260)
By your logic if I read a bad review of a new album in Rolling Stone I should still buy the record?

Not an analogy I would have used.

i guess, to start, that would depend on your opinion of the reviewer. But that would just be scratching the surface.

turfnsport 09-23-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the little guy (Post 2374271)
Not an analogy I would have used.

i guess, to start, that would depend on your opinion of the reviewer. But that would just be scratching the surface.

And I don't read Rolling Stone anymore. Who does?

metro 09-23-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Matt is extremely knowledgable and well prepared. Does that not count for a lot? He's also a personality. All of these things make him good at his job. The fact that you are talking about him means he's doing his job well.

Plenty of knowledge on the TVG set and yes that includes Matt, just have to wade through the mindless minutia to get to it sometimes. As a viewer I'm interested in Matt's knowledge, not his hair.

jimmyb 09-23-2018 11:21 AM

I'll listen when Simon Bray or Vic are on.

turfnsport 09-23-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 2374285)
I'll listen when Simon Bray or Vic are on.

Yes I really like Simon..People trash Todd but when Todd & Simon work together I find it entertaining. There are some things about TVG that are not good but overall I enjoy all the talking heads except one or two.

ronsmac 09-23-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metro (Post 2374275)
Plenty of knowledge on the TVG set and yes that includes Matt, just have to wade through the mindless minutia to get to it sometimes. As a viewer I'm interested in Matt's knowledge, not his hair.

He does have great hair.

anotherCAfan 09-23-2018 01:33 PM

Sarge, Vic, Rich Perloff, and Kurt Hoover are some of my favorites.

FlintAtTheFetlock 09-23-2018 02:18 PM

Matt, Rich, and Kurt give best insights IMO. Don't understand any of the knocks on Matt. Yes, he and others seem awkward teamed up w/Brittney, but I think more generational and a matter of style.

Never got the Sarge thing as a TV personality, but he seems like a smart, good guy. Haven't noticed him pulling in many Pick 4's or Pick 5's but will nail a horse that I never saw (bombs).

Nitro 09-23-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

It’s certainly refreshing to read something positive about Matt. Your assessment couldn’t be more factual and true than some of the other nonsense posted on this thread. Isn’t it always amazing how some offer unwarranted criticism as if they could do a better job.

You handicapping gurus don’t have to agree with anything a TV announcer has to say about their selections or play suggestions, but keep in mind these guys are also ambassadors of a game that can certainly use some positive PR. It’s something unfortunately that’s lacking on the PA forums. So who can we criticize for that?
I suspect that much of the pessimistic commentary is a reflection of how the game has impacted the bank roll and the resulting attitude.

turfnsport 09-23-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitro (Post 2374426)
It’s certainly refreshing to read something positive about Matt. Your assessment couldn’t be more factual and true than some of the other nonsense posted on this thread. Isn’t it always amazing how some offer unwarranted criticism as if they could do a better job.

You handicapping gurus don’t have to agree with anything a TV announcer has to say about their selections or play suggestions, but keep in mind these guys are also ambassadors of a game that can certainly use some positive PR. It’s something unfortunately that’s lacking on the PA forums. So who can we criticize for that?
I suspect that much of the pessimistic commentary is a reflection of how the game has impacted the bank roll and the resulting attitude.

Huh? The person that started this thread stated nothing about his handicapping ability, just that he talked over his colleague. I then stated he does it all the time, and I mentioned nothing about his handicapping ability either.

I do not think that is "unwarranted criticism" at all.

Tom 09-23-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

First of all, I am a customer of the game it is not my role to provide PR for it. I don't get paid to do their work for them.

Criticize them for not earning it.

My betting has nothing at all to do with my opinion of Matt.
I never listen to his picks. I try not to listen him period.

He may well be doing his job fantastically, but, I am not his boss and MY criteria for whether or not not I enjoy listening to him has nothing to do with his job or how well he does it.

I think he is like listening to a 10 year old more often than not.
Maybe a smart 10 year old, who can pick winners.

But still a 10 year old.

Where does everyone get the idea that we are supposed to give TVG a pass because their mission is not to entertain the customers? I pay to get TVG on my service.

So, maybe he does work for me after all.:rolleyes:

pandy 09-23-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Very good point. Being animated, like you are, by the way, and Matt is, helps keep people from falling asleep. Some people are made for TV, some aren't. Like Andy Beyer. As a writer, he's one of the all-time greats. On TV, he makes watching paint dry seem exciting.

v j stauffer 09-23-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by how cliche (Post 2374197)

Nonsense

v j stauffer 09-23-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

I agree with all of that. Would add Matt is an original TVG personality. Meaning he's been on the air since 1999.

Almost 20 years in and he's ALWAYS prepared. He's ALWAYS energetic. He ALWAYS give the feel that's he's engaged, excited and happy to be on the air.

4 hours of live television requires a lot of prep time. Rule of thumb is the same time as the shift. That's pretty much the way it works for me. Four hour shift. Four hours to be ready.

Don't do the work. Gloss over. Phone it in. Do it on the fly and the show suffers mightily.

On a personal note I can say of all the people I've worked with on TVG Matt is the most consistent of character. Always upbeat. Always respectful. Looks for the good in others. Fine family man.

thaskalos 09-23-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandy (Post 2374503)
Very good point. Being animated, like you are, by the way, and Matt is, helps keep people from falling asleep. Some people are made for TV, some aren't. Like Andy Beyer. As a writer, he's one of the all-time greats. On TV, he makes watching paint dry seem exciting.

I have seen Beyer on TV several times...and I find myself hanging on his every word. A Beyer/Serling TV segment that I saw a few years back remains as the single most enjoyable horse racing commentary that I can ever recall. I might be in the minority, but I don't much value the "glibness" of the TV hosts when I watch a horse racing show. My "entertainment" comes from the genuine handicapping knowledge that the hosts possess...and the sincerity with which they relay it to the viewer. Beyer has SUBSTANCE...and I'll take that over "style" ANY day!

metro 09-23-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2374540)
I have seen Beyer on TV several times...and I find myself hanging on his every word. A Beyer/Serling TV segment that I saw a few years back remains as the single most enjoyable horse racing commentary that I can ever recall. I might be in the minority, but I don't much value the "glibness" of the TV hosts when I watch a horse racing show. My "entertainment" comes from the genuine handicapping knowledge that the hosts possess...and the sincerity with which they relay it to the viewer. Beyer has SUBSTANCE...and I'll take that over "style" ANY day!

Aaron Vercruysse and Jeff Siegel on the now defunct HRTV used to provide some good handicapping back and forth, one of the downsides when TVG bought that network out was the two of them basically disappearing from broadcast television.