Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Silver Charm looking good at 26 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161785)

dilanesp 11-25-2020 10:55 PM

Silver Charm looking good at 26

porchy44 11-26-2020 06:06 AM

I got to see him a couple years ago when I visited "old Friends" Retirement farm in Georgetown Kentucky. Close to Keeneland and a pretty nice tour.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/thor...scue-list.html

Dahoss9698 11-26-2020 07:49 AM

That triple crown series was really something. He was (and still is) such a cool horse.

classhandicapper 11-26-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchy44 (Post 2677919)
I got to see him a couple years ago when I visited "old Friends" Retirement farm in Georgetown Kentucky. Close to Keeneland and a pretty nice tour.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/thor...scue-list.html

I did the Old Friends tour last year. I'm sure I'll go back eventually. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage 11-30-2020 12:02 PM

What an awesome pic...I don't think I could have picked a better time time to get into racing than the late 80s and 90s....

dilanesp 11-30-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2679559)
What an awesome pic...I don't think I could have picked a better time time to get into racing than the late 80s and 90s....

The "Class of '97" was really special. Look at the '97 Derby- it had a short field that year (the last Derby to fit in the 14 stall gate). The top three were very special horses- Silver Charm, Captain Bodgit, and Free House, and the finish was close. Touch Gold, another good one, joined the group in the Preakness and Belmont.

And then in the also rans of that Derby, you get Pulpit and Concerto, who went on to be excellent sires.

PhantomOnTour 11-30-2020 01:53 PM

I chose PhantomOnTour as my handle because Silver Charm was taken.
He’s my favorite horse (POT is 2nd).

Never seen a more gutsy runner in my life. What a brawler! His Derby & Preakness wins were classics. I’m certain that if he had seen Touch Gold coming in the Belmont he would have out dueled him to the wire (if you don’t agree with me then I’m obligated to meet you somewhere and fight you) :lol:

His ‘98 Dubai WC win was one for the ages. It seemed like they took turns making runs at him down the long stretch at Nad Al Sheba and none of them succeeded....Borgia, Malek, Loup Sauvage and finally Swain...no no no and NO!
His win in the Clark is another example of his tenacity.

It’s great to see he’s still doing well.

Spalding No! 11-30-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2679568)
The "Class of '97" was really special. Look at the '97 Derby- it had a short field that year (the last Derby to fit in the 14 stall gate). The top three were very special horses- Silver Charm, Captain Bodgit, and Free House, and the finish was close. Touch Gold, another good one, joined the group in the Preakness and Belmont.

And then in the also rans of that Derby, you get Pulpit and Concerto, who went on to be excellent sires.

That crop also yielded Awesome Again, Behrens, Deputy Commander, Affirmed Success, Wild Rush, Tale of the Cat, Frisk Me Now, and Mud Route

dilanesp 11-30-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2679600)

Never seen a more gutsy runner in my life. What a brawler! His Derby & Preakness wins were classics. I’m certain that if he had seen Touch Gold coming in the Belmont he would have out dueled him to the wire (if you don’t agree with me then I’m obligated to meet you somewhere and fight you) :lol:

I saw that race. It's the one time I ever went to Belmont for a TC attempt. Touch Gold was legit good, and had a horrendous trip in the Preakness, so the result was certainly not unexpected. But Silver Charm was a scary good horse.

jay68802 11-30-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2679559)

Echo.