Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flightline (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164443)

SharpCat 04-25-2021 01:40 AM

Flightline

Impressive debut here.

classhandicapper 04-25-2021 09:52 AM

I didn't look at the SA card yesterday. After I watched the replay I assumed it must be another Baffert monster. Good to see someone else out there has a good one.

classhandicapper 04-25-2021 10:07 AM

Beyer 105

SG4 04-25-2021 09:56 PM

Loving everything about this horse. Know it's not Sadler's regular move to come east, but would think a race like the Woody Stephens would be a worthy next step. Opportunities for a 3yo of this caliber on the west coast are very thin for a long time, unless they're interesting in aiming for a 100k G3 like the Affirmed. Would think the Woody Stephens & Haskell would be much better game to shoot for.

Spalding No! 04-25-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG4 (Post 2718511)
Loving everything about this horse. Know it's not Sadler's regular move to come east, but would think a race like the Woody Stephens would be a worthy next step. Opportunities for a 3yo of this caliber on the west coast are very thin for a long time, unless they're interesting in aiming for a 100k G3 like the Affirmed. Would think the Woody Stephens & Haskell would be much better game to shoot for.

Depends if they want to try and snatch a Grade 1 as soon as possible and secure the $1 million investment with a guaranteed stud deal or let the horse progress steadily against a diet of small fields before shooting for the moon in the summer in the Travers or Pacific Classic.

The Laz Barrera (7f), Affirmed (8.5f), and Los Al Derby (9f) are right on his doorstep and well-spaced.

There's probably a reason he didn't debut until April of his 3yo year.

outofthebox 08-30-2021 08:18 PM

Two sub 100 min 5/8 in a week. Looking at Del Mar condition book, there is a nw1 6f this weekend. Also a 1 mile closing day. Hope he shows up in the entries...

classhandicapper 09-02-2021 07:42 PM

He's back on Sunday in the 8th race at DMR.

Freedom Fighter and a couple of other horses with at least some speed are also entered. So he should have to do some running early.

SharpCat 09-02-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outofthebox (Post 2750792)
Two sub 100 min 5/8 in a week. Looking at Del Mar condition book, there is a nw1 6f this weekend. Also a 1 mile closing day. Hope he shows up in the entries...

Flightline entered in the 8th on Sunday the nw1 at 6f and drew the outside post #8. If Flightline runs another cracker interesting to see what races they point him towards. Possibly the Sprint Championship at SA then the BC Sprint. Or maybe they look towards the Malibu Stakes instead.

Andy Asaro 09-05-2021 08:16 PM

Crazy fast performance and did it eased up. Wow!

ReplayRandall 09-05-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Asaro (Post 2752211)

He could have shattered the track record if only slightly challenged....The Sky's the limit with Flightline.

jocko699 09-05-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Asaro (Post 2752211)

Zoom Zoom!!!!!

classhandicapper 09-05-2021 09:25 PM

Wow! There are some red hot 3yo sprinters out there right now. Some of the potential matchups would be amazing. This one may stretch out.

proximity 09-06-2021 12:01 AM

i was rooting for flightline to go under 1:08!

very, very impressive though!!!

Andy Asaro 09-06-2021 10:23 AM

classhandicapper 09-06-2021 01:55 PM

Beyer 114

classhandicapper 12-23-2021 10:17 AM

So is he some kind of freak or he is a very good horse that will be tested a bit more in his stakes debut?

cj 12-23-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2775188)
So is he some kind of freak or he is a very good horse that will be tested a bit more in his stakes debut?

I never get too excited about this kind, horses with freakish talent that can't seem to race very often. Even if he wins in a romp, I'd be shocked if we see him race more than 4 times next year.

the little guy 12-23-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2775210)
I never get too excited about this kind, horses with freakish talent that can't seem to race very often. Even if he wins in a romp, I'd be shocked if we see him race more than 4 times next year.

Right now, he's on course to be the next Army Mule. I hope we're wrong, but it's hard to be optimistic.

classhandicapper 12-23-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

If he wins impressively Sunday he'll be a Grade 1 winner. That will give them less of an incentive to bring him back if he should have some minor issue that sets him back just a few months.

I want to see what this horse is made of. I'm hoping that someone gets aggressive and tries to run with him. Normally, that might be suicidal, but this horses is off a layoff, clearly has soundness issues, and has never been tested. There has to be some chance he cracks if pressed hard.

I'm not sure if Dr. Schivel has enough speed, but he stayed relatively close to Jackie's Warrior and Special Reserve. Those two are very fast. So maybe he can put some real heat on at some point.

Spalding No! 12-23-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2775268)
I'm hoping that someone gets aggressive and tries to run with him. Normally, that might be suicidal, but this horses is off a layoff, clearly has soundness issues, and has never been tested. There has to be some chance he cracks if pressed hard.

Never raced without Lasix (whereas the similarly profiled Triple Tap has never raced with it).

Have to think Baby Yoda will be gunning from the gate (although he's not particularly quick from the gate) with the rail draw and getting shuffled back early in his last pair. Only weapon he seems to have at this point is his early speed.

Joke of a race, which once was one of the greatest betting races on the calendar. Always had a full field made up of top sprinters, a couple of second-tier route horses cutting back, a couple of Triple Crown trail comebackers, a couple of decent Cal-breds, a couple of late-starting types, and maybe even a turf horse.

Now even with this barely-beyond-team-workout field of 7 horses, we have to worry about either Flightline or Triple Tap (supposedly the 2 most talented horses in there) scratching out since they share common ownership. Stud deals will be compromised if something gets exposed...

taxicab 12-23-2021 07:53 PM

The Malibu feels chalky.
It looks to be one or the other.
Flightline just glides over the track,he'll be tough.
FL really reminds me of the former Sadler runner Catalina Cruiser.
Dr. Schivel is a tough as nails class act.......still can't believe he lost the BC Sprint the way he did(that one cost me plenty).
The other contenders don't do anything for me.
Baby Yoda: Didn't like anything about his last race.......not drawn well either,the rail going 7F @ SA is a disadvantage.
Triple Tap: talented for sure,but had such a good setup last time.......don't like to play those types back.
FWIW:
Baffert has a late starting 3yo debuting the 4th Sunday(Shaaz)that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger did in Pumping Iron.

classhandicapper 12-23-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spalding No! (Post 2775321)

Now even with this barely-beyond-team-workout field of 7 horses, we have to worry about either Flightline or Triple Tap (supposedly the 2 most talented horses in there) scratching out since they share common ownership. Stud deals will be compromised if something gets exposed...

I’d be against Triple Tap if he wasn’t trained by Baffert. I thought he got a good setup last time. IMO, that race was not as good as it looks, but with Baffert he’s eligible to take a step forward. So I’m less anxious to key against him in the exotics. I want nothing to do with him though.

Robert Fischer 12-24-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxicab (Post 2775333)
FWIW:
Baffert has a late starting 3yo debuting the 4th Sunday(Shaaz)that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger did in Pumping Iron.

yea, Shaaz worked wider in company with Triple Tap. Did more running and impressed that he kept up.

Malibu - Showcase for Flightline. Does he break, and run to form? Wow.

:5::4::7::6:

VeryOldMan 12-25-2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxicab (Post 2775333)

Wow - some high profile first time starters in there: $1.1 million purchase Shaaz, $900K Hopkins (also trained by Baffert), and Beholder's first foal Q B One (out of Uncle Mo).

classhandicapper 12-25-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryOldMan (Post 2775628)
Wow - some high profile first time starters in there: $1.1 million purchase Shaaz, $900K Hopkins (also trained by Baffert), and Beholder's first foal Q B One (out of Uncle Mo).

That's one of the most interesting races on the card.

outofthebox 12-25-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Normally i would agree..But in this case modern tech handicapping has kept this horse from racing to much, not physical issues. Sadler is big sheets guy and letting the numbers dictate the schedule. I believe after this race he will stretch out and look for the important distance races and hopefully a successful solid campaign...

davew 12-26-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryOldMan (Post 2775628)

I agree. I am more interested in the 4th than the Malibu. I hope the track is at least semi decent with all the rain.

Tom 12-26-2021 02:49 PM

Only took one race for me to be done with SA.
R2, Doug "Better living Through Chemistry" O'Neil scores with garbage.
Typical.

Spalding No! 12-26-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2775858)
Only took one race for me to be done with SA.
R2, Doug "Better living Through Chemistry" O'Neil scores with garbage.
Typical.

Why was that horse garbage?

Only had 2 lengths to find on the odds-on favorite in there last meeting (a drubbing by the ML favorite for a Grade 1 later on the card). Last race was a toss going 2-turns. Had only one pace rival (who had been running at lower levels) that ended up missing the break. Track has been sealed for multiple days, which usually helps frontrunners. Horse is 3 for 3 in his career (now 4 for 4) over SA main track. An Into Mischief that had showed enough early in his career to draw $1 million as a 2yo-in-training. Went off as an overlay (5-1 ML).

Tom 12-26-2021 03:27 PM

Slow horse, Beyer, TGraf, BRIS, proven loser, questionable form at best, soundly beaten by both the favs.....10-1, maybe.

the little guy 12-26-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2775885)
Slow horse, Beyer, TGraf, BRIS, proven loser, questionable form at best, soundly beaten by both the favs.....10-1, maybe.

He was the lone speed on paper, no?

Spalding No! 12-26-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2775885)

Fastest horse from the gate, gets brave with clear lead, clouded form due to recent negative pace scenarios & route distance, both favs burning money in all starts against open company...5-1 on sealed racetrack w/ multiple graded stakes on the card.

Tom 12-26-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the little guy (Post 2775900)
He was the lone speed on paper, no?

Did you bet him?
Actually, I would not say he was lone speed,/ TG had him essentially tied with Sumo early, and and aside from his last race, Sumo figured to be right there challenging early. Same Sumo who beat him by 8 last sprint.

cj 12-26-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outofthebox (Post 2775636)
Normally i would agree..But in this case modern tech handicapping has kept this horse from racing to much, not physical issues. Sadler is big sheets guy and letting the numbers dictate the schedule. I believe after this race he will stretch out and look for the important distance races and hopefully a successful solid campaign...

That is the story the connections tell, but the gaps in the workouts don't really lend much credence to it.

Robert Fischer 12-26-2021 06:05 PM

action bet 50cents 5 - 4 - 6

overthinking a valueless race?

probably have it :5::4::6::7: rather than :5::4::7::6:

the :6: Team Merchants 20/1 ml looks to be thriving in workouts,and watching a few of his races is fine in here to try to hit the board.

Big difference in ml odds between the :6: and :7:

also think the public may well agree with the ml in terms of ranking :1:BabyYoda and the :3: StilettoBoy higher than the 6.
///

not a Flightline superfan, but there isn't an adverse pace projected here.
Sadler does a solid job with workouts and pace-friendly spots of Hronis runners. i haven't seen any fitness/health issue on video, solid layoff numbers

Shaaz wins r4 MSW, but doesn't tell us a lot more than we know.
Big boy, lot of talent, has to stop lugging in as well as show consistent footwork.

the little guy 12-26-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2775904)
Did you bet him?
Actually, I would not say he was lone speed,/ TG had him essentially tied with Sumo early, and and aside from his last race, Sumo figured to be right there challenging early. Same Sumo who beat him by 8 last sprint.

Yes. I had the early Pick-3. I pressed the favorite, did not like the 5, and used the 6 because he was lone speed and clearly the "other horse" under the given scenario. I singled the 1st winner, who I thought should have been odds on, and pressed the 3rd winner, who also should have been a heavy favorite.

I don't love it when races come off the turf, but off the turf races are frequently great value races. I also don't get overly caught up in the results of races, as they are frequently related to how races are run, and am more than happy to take horses that may benefit on a given day when they have not in a previous race or two ( or more ).

Brisk Urging 12-26-2021 07:21 PM

Baby Yoda's Beyer best guess?

The Arbiter 12-26-2021 07:44 PM

Flightline is about to be the most hyped horse since Arrogate. The possible soundness concerns are the only reason to pump the brakes even a little bit, because that was something else.

porchy44 12-26-2021 07:52 PM

hyping a horse up

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Arbiter (Post 2775967)
Flightline is about to be the most hyped horse since Arrogate..........

Yes, that's the "fun stuff". I'm already telling my buddy he is going to be another Spectacular Bid.

VeryOldMan 12-26-2021 07:54 PM

Wow - Flightline has won all three of his races by 11+ lengths. Included this Grade 1. Weakness of graded stakes these days aside - that was impressive.