Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Harness Racing (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Race 7 at yonkers last night (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108765)

ishman17 11-30-2013 10:49 AM

Race 7 at yonkers last night

interesting exacta payout last night in race 7...33-1 on top of 9-1 only payed 85.00 for 2 bucks. needless to say the people there were going nuts with race fixing allegations...and im inclined to agree.

lamboguy 11-30-2013 11:21 AM

i highly doubt there is a case of race fixing. but there is some type of probability of bell wagering going on in Lexington, Kentucky. if you are that interested in finding out, call Yonkers and demand to know where the tickets were sold on that particular combination. if they refuse to tell you, have your lawyer call them and threaten them with a lawsuit. its your right to know where the tickets were punched, not who the winner's were though.

if they weren't punched at The Red Mile, i will give $100 in your name to the Salvation Army for this holiday season.

mrroyboy 11-30-2013 04:48 PM

That is very interesting. Of course my horse broke at the gate.

Phantombridgejumpe 12-01-2013 07:55 AM

???

You are kidding, about all this, right? right?

wiffleball whizz 12-01-2013 02:28 PM

Bump

ishman17 12-01-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantombridgejumpe
You are kidding, about all this, right? right?

nope, i could see this payout maybe if it was a sears/brennan combo....maybe...and even at that it's still to low. Pantaleano is a decent driver at places like freehold but he is not a top driver at yonkers. if the race was not fixed...which it may not of been....someone knew something at some point....the exacta pool was the only pool that was suspect as the win and the tri and the p4 pools were all right on. i did not bet this race so i did not get a chance to see the will pays for the exacta...i wish i did,i would be curious to see if that was the will pay for the 8/3 combo the whole time or if it changed to 85.00 right before the race....or after.

mrroyboy 12-01-2013 03:05 PM

Well the betting at Yonkers is very strange sometimes. I am not a conspiracy buff but sometimes you have to wonder.

wiffleball whizz 12-01-2013 03:07 PM

Not a fixed race especially on a Friday sat night with huge purses but a classic example of a open window somewhere

Can't be disputed

Phantombridgejumpe 12-01-2013 03:17 PM

Are you pulling an Al Gore - the debate is over when

you say it's over?

Someone could have bet their house number or their birthday or had
a hunch.

If you think the fix is in too often stop playing. If you think the
Red Mile is the culprit why call Yonkers? Why call anyone, what do you
realistically want to happen?

Maybe I take things in too casual a manner but some of
you are way too serious.

ishman17 12-01-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

you say it's over?

Someone could have bet their house number or their birthday or had
a hunch.

If you think the fix is in too often stop playing. If you think the
Red Mile is the culprit why call Yonkers? Why call anyone, what do you
realistically want to happen?

Maybe I take things in too casual a manner but some of
you are way too serious.

im sure there may of been a few of those people who played the 8/3 for the reasons you stated...however this combo had to be hammered hard to pay 85.00...you had 2 drivers who are ok but not great not to mention the 8 horse which most people dont use on top at yonkers unless it's a top flight horse. most people who play there house and or birthday play a 1 or 2 dollar exacta...not enough to really shrink the payout. i think whizz may be correct.

Phantombridgejumpe 12-01-2013 04:03 PM

Perhaps he is right...

But calling Yonkers about it seems silly.

Stillriledup 12-01-2013 04:59 PM

Lambo is right, you need to threaten YR with a lawsuit, that track only cares about slots and NOT about racing, no way they're going to spend a penny defending lawsuits on a horse racing matter.

I would love to know where the big bet came from.

Funny and ironic how Yonkers is owned by an NFL family and that same NFL is the driving force behind shooting down sports betting in NJ because betting is "bad" and hurts the NFL "Shield" according to the suits at the NFL offices.

baconswitchfarm 12-01-2013 06:32 PM

Open window and red mile might be to blame ?:bang:

The winning driver was thrown out previously for race fixing. The second place driver has been thrown out of multiple jurisdictions. The winning horse is trained by Lou pena who just is trying to get back in from being thrown out. You invite a table full of thieves to dinner and are stunned when your silverware goes missing. Stop giving these people their license back over and over again.

Stillriledup 12-01-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconswitchfarm

The winning driver was thrown out previously for race fixing. The second place driver has been thrown out of multiple jurisdictions. The winning horse is trained by Lou pena who just is trying to get back in from being thrown out. You invite a table full of thieves to dinner and are stunned when your silverware goes missing. Stop giving these people their license back over and over again.

Thank you. Couldnt agree more.

Just a Fan 12-01-2013 11:41 PM

Just watched the replay. When the gate was rolling in the turn, the 8-3 was paying $646 while the 3-8 was paying $417. Obviously the 8-3 ended up paying $85, and the 3-8 would have paid $81 or $82. All of the other exactas with the 8 on top would have paid over $250.

Based on this, and the way the race began, I subscribe to the open window theory more than the fix theory. Must have been something like a $250 exacta box that was played late. We've seen this before. It shouldn't be that difficult to track down where and when it was played. But we'll never know if they even look at it. And if they don't even suggest that they are looking at it, this stuff will probably continue.

https://classic.ebetusa.com/probable...013112907.html

Stillriledup 12-02-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just a Fan
Just watched the replay. When the gate was rolling in the turn, the 8-3 was paying $646 while the 3-8 was paying $417. Obviously the 8-3 ended up paying $85, and the 3-8 would have paid $81 or $82. All of the other exactas with the 8 on top would have paid over $250.

Based on this, and the way the race began, I subscribe to the open window theory more than the fix theory. Must have been something like a $250 exacta box that was played late. We've seen this before. It shouldn't be that difficult to track down where and when it was played. But we'll never know if they even look at it. And if they don't even suggest that they are looking at it, this stuff will probably continue.

The alarming thing about this is that this horse basically cleared before the first turn, you rarely see that from a post 8 horse....what happened to the other drivers? If this horse was "lone speed" how did he ever go off 33-1?

CHeCK EyE 12-02-2013 10:46 AM

But if the tickets were accepted after the race went off, isn't it Yonkers you'd want to call?? Once the bell rings their pools should accept no more bets, period.

wiffleball whizz 12-02-2013 04:36 PM

This isn't race fixing.......

Lambo guys red mile comment was mentioned In a few other forums......none as good as this one though

Pacingguy 12-02-2013 05:10 PM

Interesting to Note

That these two horses involved in the exacta both won their last races albeit in lower classes. That being said, I have to think something is rotten in Paris; not the race itself but something in tote world.

For the record, I made an inquiry with YR. I don't expect to hear anything about it. Perhaps if someone raised this question with the NYGC, they may get an answer.

What is really sad about this is do you hear about this in any media? Not a peep. If something like this happened at Hollywood Park, it would be all over the place. This is how irrelevant harness racing has become.

lamboguy 12-02-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

you can take it to the bank that its coming out of Lexington, Kentucky. but that is not such a big deal to figure out, if i knew where the spot was for flat racing would be another story. i just have my guess's on that one but not one speck of evidence.

by the way, no one said this game is easy, there are plenty of obstacles to climb over other than the takeout.

Just a Fan 12-02-2013 07:22 PM

this article seemed timely and relevant!

http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu...6907&zoneid=29

Possibly the hardest tote integrity problem to cure is the one that doesn’t involve a tote problem. If the general perception among the wagering public is that something is amiss, that appearance of impropriety is enough to send bettors heading for another opportunity. The best example is the persistent fluctuation of tote board odds after a race begins. The industry repeatedly explains that these are simply delayed displays of wagering activity occurring before the start of the race. Yet, with every new investigation of a possible past-posting incident, the innocent explanations become less and less plausible in the public’s mind.

Stillriledup 12-02-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

this article seemed timely and relevant!

http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu...6907&zoneid=29

Possibly the hardest tote integrity problem to cure is the one that doesn’t involve a tote problem. If the general perception among the wagering public is that something is amiss, that appearance of impropriety is enough to send bettors heading for another opportunity. The best example is the persistent fluctuation of tote board odds after a race begins. The industry repeatedly explains that these are simply delayed displays of wagering activity occurring before the start of the race. Yet, with every new investigation of a possible past-posting incident, the innocent explanations become less and less plausible in the public’s mind.

This is because most of us know how hard it is to win and how these "late bettors" are making it look like the easiest game on earth.

So, you either believe the game is crooked OR you believe that someone out there is some kind of horse whisperer who knows the results in advance.

Sea Biscuit 12-02-2013 10:55 PM

I just can't understand what the fuss is all about.

At Woodbine (Harness) Jan 28 Race 9 a 17-1 finished on top of a 12-1 and the exacta paid $94.

4-Marabou 35.70 12.80 9.40 18946

9-Six Bax 9.10 6.40 6015

7-Quit Smoking Now 6.60 3489

$2 EXACTOR (4-9) paid 94.10, pool 27773

$2 TRIACTOR (4-9-7) paid 3623.00, pool 21042

$1 PICK 3 (3-6-4) paid 1114.40, pool 5518

$.20 SF 4 9 7 2 3408.72 13874

badcompany 12-03-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconswitchfarm

I'm starting to think that these guys are seeing that the Racino gravy train is coming to the end and are trying to grab as much as they can before the bottom falls out.

I posted a race like this a while ago, but this one is even worse.

As far as the big fuss, it's about an exacta that should've paid $500-700 that only paid $85.

baconswitchfarm 12-03-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit
I just can't understand what the fuss is all about.

At Woodbine (Harness) Jan 28 Race 9 a 17-1 finished on top of a 12-1 and the exacta paid $94.

4-Marabou 35.70 12.80 9.40 18946

9-Six Bax 9.10 6.40 6015

7-Quit Smoking Now 6.60 3489

$2 EXACTOR (4-9) paid 94.10, pool 27773

$2 TRIACTOR (4-9-7) paid 3623.00, pool 21042

$1 PICK 3 (3-6-4) paid 1114.40, pool 5518

$.20 SF 4 9 7 2 3408.72 13874

I hit a tri today at Monticello that should have paid 800, paid 400. Hit an exacta at meadows that should have paid 180, paid 130. Northfield exacta that should have paid 85 and paid 50. If I quit betting every time I saw a bad payoff I would have to change careers. Days like today they are a little short. Other times , very short. Someone should start a thread where you list numbers you think come back light. It will set a record for all time most posts. I can't boycott every time this happens or I would drive myself crazy. It paid terrible. They can look at the timestamp and see if it was bet before or after betting closed. When it gets to a point I feel I can not overcome the underpayments. I will move on.

Phantombridgejumpe 12-03-2013 07:26 AM

And you act like you have never received more than

you should have.

I hit an exacta at Harrah's a few weeks back that should have paid $16-$18 and I got $36. Those never get a mention.

lamboguy 12-03-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

you should have.

I hit an exacta at Harrah's a few weeks back that should have paid $16-$18 and I got $36. Those never get a mention.

that is an excellent point. i wish i was good at handicapping harness, but for guys that are and know the types of horses that the Red Mile guys play, you can do very well betting against them.

the only thing that you can't do is predict the favorite that is going to break behind the gate. the boys at the Red Mile live for the favorite that makes a miscue before the bell.

badcompany 12-03-2013 09:00 AM

The excuse making for this disgrace is pathetic. It sounds like a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

There's a wide gulf between an exacta that pays $10-15 dollars more than it should and one that pays 100s of dollars less than it should, especially with a winner from the 8 post. The former could be as a result of a bad favorite; the latter, the bettor had to know how the race would line up. It was a line up number, wasn't it?

This is the problem with no one at the track. Back in the day, when Yonkers drew 1000s to the live product, the crowd would've rioted over something like this.

Btw, the betting public seems to agree with me as evidenced by Yonkers' pathetic handle.

thaskalos 12-03-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

you should have.

They don't get mentioned because they are outnumbered 20/1 by the ones that pay half of what they should.

badcompany 12-03-2013 10:42 AM

If you showed me this chart with all the prices, except that the exacta is blacked out and then asked me how much the exacta paid, my answer is $600.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...psfa89fa51.jpg

thaskalos 12-03-2013 10:54 AM

The drug-testing laboratories are ill-equipped, and the suspicious payoffs are ignored.

It's a wonder that the game is still "basically honest"...given these unfortunate circumstances. :rolleyes:

DeanT 12-03-2013 12:39 PM

HANA sent a formal letter to the powers that be, and will report on what's going on ASAP.

https://twitter.com/HplayersAssnNA/s...26719308234752

Zapper 12-03-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishman17
nope, i could see this payout maybe if it was a sears/brennan combo....maybe...and even at that it's still to low. Pantaleano is a decent driver at places like freehold but he is not a top driver at yonkers. if the race was not fixed...which it may not of been....someone knew something at some point....the exacta pool was the only pool that was suspect as the win and the tri and the p4 pools were all right on. i did not bet this race so i did not get a chance to see the will pays for the exacta...i wish i did,i would be curious to see if that was the will pay for the 8/3 combo the whole time or if it changed to 85.00 right before the race....or after.

I am not stating that He did but you are familiar on why JP got tossed from Ohio right?
I have heard of numerous times that both he and Baggit were called into the FH judges office for what they call race fixing out there.Didn't jimmy recently serve days at FH for this?

Zapper 12-03-2013 01:15 PM

I bet you a hand full of tickets were cashed by drivers (cough cough).

ishman17 12-03-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapper
I am not stating that He did but you are familiar on why JP got tossed from Ohio right?
I have heard of numerous times that both he and Baggit were called into the FH judges office for what they call race fixing out there.Didn't jimmy recently serve days at FH for this?

Hi Zapper, someone did mention that in this thread...but i did not know that about JP before this thread started.

Just a Fan 12-03-2013 02:36 PM

Getting tossed out of Northfield might have been the best thing that ever happened to Jimmy P.

Phantombridgejumpe 12-03-2013 02:40 PM

20/1 is pure nonsense

C'mon now.

I know it isn't 1/1, and the original race posted seems odd I'll admit, but if you think a huge % of races are fixed stop playin.

thaskalos 12-03-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

C'mon now.

I know it isn't 1/1, and the original race posted seems odd I'll admit, but if you think a huge % of races are fixed stop playin.

Well...at least you admit that the original race posted seems "odd" to you. That's a start, I guess.

Do you want to know what seems odd to me?

It seems odd to me when I see other horseplayers offering lame excuses whenever a gross injustice such as this takes place. Lame excuses like..."well, it could be that an 83-year-old bettor bet a $250 8-3 exacta box on his 83rd birthday." :rolleyes:

Another thing that seems odd to me is that, whenever players rightly express outrage over occurrences such as this, we can always count on another "horseplayer" to climb aboard...and tell us that we should stop betting horses, instead of complaining about these scandalous payoffs.

It seems mighty odd to me to see players defend the "game" at times like these.

Zapper 12-03-2013 03:21 PM

Barred Northfield Park driver offers to take polygraph test

01/21/04

Bob Roberts
Plain Dealer Reporter

Jim Pantaleano, barred from training and driving his stable of 26 harness horses at Northfield Park, is so determined to prove he had no part in the controversy that surrounds exacta and trifecta payoffs of a race last week, offered Tuesday to take a polygraph test.

Tom Aldrich, Northfield's chief operating officer, called Pantaleano's attorney, Tom Sicuro, and told him that the track "wasn't interested."

"I've known Jimmy for 20 years," said Sicuro. "He would never fix a race. He would have abided by the polygraph results. The test would have proved he was innocent."

Pantaleano, 41, has been a driver-trainer at Northfield since 1982. He began his career at the Ohio 8 harness oval as a busboy in the clubhouse.

On Friday, Pantaleano and another driver, Randy Tharps, were told by management that it no longer wanted to do business with either of them. According to Pantaleano, who spoke to Tharps, neither was told the reason for their ejections.

Calls to Tharps by The Plain Dealer were not returned.

The action by Northfield came less than 48 hours after payoffs were so low on a sixth race of Jan. 14 that Northfield's judges launched an investigation into the running of the race and the subsequent pari-mutuel prices.

Trot In Harmony, winner of the race, was 60-1 in the wagering. Fugeddaboudit, the runner-up, was 21-1, and Freezer Burnt, 28-1, was third.

The winning exacta, for selecting the first and second place finishers, paid $219.60, while the trifecta (top three finishers) paid $3,956.20.

Both Pantaleano and Tharps drove in the race in question. Tharps was in the sulky of Two A T, the 3-5 wagering favorite, who finished sixth. Pantaleano drove Arnie's E-Mail, a 5-1 shot who finished fourth.

Cliff Nelson, executive director of the Ohio State Racing Commission, said he was focused on the trifecta payoff.

"I'm more concerned with that," said Nelson. "I thought there would be $1 or $2 worth of winning tickets. But there were $16 in winners."

If the trifecta had been hit by a bettor with a single $2 ticket, the payoff would have been more than $30,000.

Sicuro is not only Pantaleano's attorney, he also owns harness horses. Arnie's E-Mail, the horse that Pantaleano drove in the sixth race of Jan. 14, is owned by Sicuro.

"She's very temperamental and that night she raced as she has been of late, which is flat."

Tharps, 40, has now been barred at Northfield twice in less than two years. In July of 2002, he was suspended for a year and fined $1,000 after an inspection of his barn uncovered needles, syringes and a cattle prod. Tharps appealed the suspension and fine.

He then reached a settlement agreement with the Ohio State Racing Commission, having his suspension reduced to 90 days and his fine increased to $5,000. He returned to racing at Northfield in February of 2003.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...1277294940.xml

thaskalos 12-03-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapper
Barred Northfield Park driver offers to take polygraph test

01/21/04

Bob Roberts
Plain Dealer Reporter

Jim Pantaleano, barred from training and driving his stable of 26 harness horses at Northfield Park, is so determined to prove he had no part in the controversy that surrounds exacta and trifecta payoffs of a race last week, offered Tuesday to take a polygraph test.

Tom Aldrich, Northfield's chief operating officer, called Pantaleano's attorney, Tom Sicuro, and told him that the track "wasn't interested."

"I've known Jimmy for 20 years," said Sicuro. "He would never fix a race. He would have abided by the polygraph results. The test would have proved he was innocent."

Pantaleano, 41, has been a driver-trainer at Northfield since 1982. He began his career at the Ohio 8 harness oval as a busboy in the clubhouse.

On Friday, Pantaleano and another driver, Randy Tharps, were told by management that it no longer wanted to do business with either of them. According to Pantaleano, who spoke to Tharps, neither was told the reason for their ejections.

Calls to Tharps by The Plain Dealer were not returned.

The action by Northfield came less than 48 hours after payoffs were so low on a sixth race of Jan. 14 that Northfield's judges launched an investigation into the running of the race and the subsequent pari-mutuel prices.

Trot In Harmony, winner of the race, was 60-1 in the wagering. Fugeddaboudit, the runner-up, was 21-1, and Freezer Burnt, 28-1, was third.

The winning exacta, for selecting the first and second place finishers, paid $219.60, while the trifecta (top three finishers) paid $3,956.20.

Both Pantaleano and Tharps drove in the race in question. Tharps was in the sulky of Two A T, the 3-5 wagering favorite, who finished sixth. Pantaleano drove Arnie's E-Mail, a 5-1 shot who finished fourth.

Cliff Nelson, executive director of the Ohio State Racing Commission, said he was focused on the trifecta payoff.

"I'm more concerned with that," said Nelson. "I thought there would be $1 or $2 worth of winning tickets. But there were $16 in winners."

If the trifecta had been hit by a bettor with a single $2 ticket, the payoff would have been more than $30,000.

Sicuro is not only Pantaleano's attorney, he also owns harness horses. Arnie's E-Mail, the horse that Pantaleano drove in the sixth race of Jan. 14, is owned by Sicuro.

"She's very temperamental and that night she raced as she has been of late, which is flat."

Tharps, 40, has now been barred at Northfield twice in less than two years. In July of 2002, he was suspended for a year and fined $1,000 after an inspection of his barn uncovered needles, syringes and a cattle prod. Tharps appealed the suspension and fine.

He then reached a settlement agreement with the Ohio State Racing Commission, having his suspension reduced to 90 days and his fine increased to $5,000. He returned to racing at Northfield in February of 2003.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...1277294940.xml

How can anybody suspect that the Yonkers race was "fixed", after reading something like this? :rolleyes: