Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gun Control (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99824)

horses4courses 12-16-2012 12:42 PM

Gun Control

With the horrible events in Newtown, CT this week, do you think we are about to see changes in US gun laws?

As a liberal, I won't dispute the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.
What has always troubled me, though, is how civilians are able to obtain automatic assault weapons. That will never make sense to me.
Those guns are designed for nothing but killing and, in my opinion, should be legal for only active military and police force members to carry.

What are your thoughts?

PaceAdvantage 12-16-2012 12:48 PM

Oh gee, I wonder how this thread will go... :lol:

My thoughts on the topic have been expressed somewhat in the school shooting thread.

Before we eliminate video games, violent Hollywood productions the sale of assault weapons, or whatever it has been deemed that set this crazed killer off and made it easier to carry out his slaughter, let's instead have a serious discussion on how we deal with our population of mentally ill people in this country.

And really, do you think he would have killed less CHILDREN with two automatic handguns instead of an assault weapon? You don't need an assault weapon to carry out the evil acts he did Friday against CHILDREN. Therefore, there will be calls to ban automatic or semi-automatic handguns as well, and eventually, ALL firearms will be sought to be banned. I know, I know, slippery slope argument. But it's true. Why stop at assault weapons?

You don't need a freakin' assault weapon to kill a bunch of kids sitting in a kindergarten classroom.

And in fact, it was reported multiple times that authorities found the RIFLE sitting in HIS CAR. Now all of a sudden, it's being reported that he used the rifle for all of the murders. Something doesn't quite add up for me.

Why would he walk to the school door carrying a big ol' assault rifle? That would set off a big ol' red flag, don't you think, and possibly make it harder for him to gain entrance.

I know reports coming out of this tragedy were often inaccurate, so the reports of finding the rifle IN HIS CAR may indeed be incorrect, but I find these discrepancies a bit odd all around.

horses4courses 12-16-2012 01:05 PM

Change for the better

Sure, there will be those calling for the ban of all weapons.
That's totally impractical, and will never happen.

People will call for a ban on assault weapons, or a modification in their design (limiting clip size, etc.).
That's more realistic, but will not cure all problems.

Focusing on mental illness is just as difficult.
You're right, though, PA. It needs to be addressed.
Doctor/client privilege, unwillingness of families to disclose the problems of loved ones.
It's an extremely complex situation, and there is no perfect solution.

If change can occur, though, that saves lives, it's an accomplishment.
Let's hope we can take some steps in the right direction.

PaceAdvantage 12-16-2012 01:19 PM

There was a shooting at the Excalibur in Vegas Friday. A shooting at an Alabama hospital Saturday. 50 shots were fired outside a California mall Saturday. An Oklahoma student was arrested Friday for plotting to massacre his classmates. And just now, it's being reported a man with 47 guns in Indiana has been arrested:

Quote:

Von I. Meyer allegedly threatened to set his wife on fire before saying he would 'kill as many people as he could' at a nearby elementary school.
http://news.msn.com/us/ind-man-with-...-school-threat

Fast and furious takes on a whole new meaning in terms of how anything related to guns is going to be reported as "BREAKING NEWS" in the short run.

dartman51 12-16-2012 01:40 PM

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday:

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

I second that thought. :ThmbUp:

redshift1 12-16-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
And in fact, it was reported multiple times that authorities found the RIFLE sitting in HIS CAR. Now all of a sudden, it's being reported that he used the rifle for all of the murders. Something doesn't quite add up for me.

Why would he walk to the school door carrying a big ol' assault rifle? That would set off a big ol' red flag, don't you think, and possibly make it harder for him to gain entrance.

I know reports coming out of this tragedy were often inaccurate, so the reports of finding the rifle IN HIS CAR may indeed be incorrect, but I find these discrepancies a bit odd all around.

Two rifles one left in car one used in classroom.

OntheRail 12-16-2012 02:09 PM

Let see ban and confiscate all guns.... then what? Ban all machining... and metals. Where do we stop?

More Laws will do nothing... enforce the laws we have now.

Robert Goren 12-16-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Oh gee, I wonder how this thread will go... :lol:

My thoughts on the topic have been expressed somewhat in the school shooting thread.

Before we eliminate video games, violent Hollywood productions the sale of assault weapons, or whatever it has been deemed that set this crazed killer off and made it easier to carry out his slaughter, let's instead have a serious discussion on how we deal with our population of mentally ill people in this country.

And really, do you think he would have killed less CHILDREN with two automatic handguns instead of an assault weapon? You don't need an assault weapon to carry out the evil acts he did Friday against CHILDREN. Therefore, there will be calls to ban automatic or semi-automatic handguns as well, and eventually, ALL firearms will be sought to be banned. I know, I know, slippery slope argument. But it's true. Why stop at assault weapons?

You don't need a freakin' assault weapon to kill a bunch of kids sitting in a kindergarten classroom.

It has been reported that he shot his way in. It makes no sense that he would allowed into school any other way. Schools these days do not allow anybody into the schools unless they have a reason to be there for all sorts of reasons.
We all know how this poll is going to go.;) The anti-gun laws people make up most of the posters this board.
There is one thing for sure, it is not wise to a bunch of guns in the house with a kid that mental problems. The mother paid with life for that piece of stupidity.

PaceAdvantage 12-16-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshift1

I had not read that. Thanks for the update.

PaceAdvantage 12-16-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartman51
Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday:

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

I second that thought. :ThmbUp:

Pretty much common sense, but unfortunately, not very in tune with human nature and the "rubber necking" effect. People (for the most part) don't avoid looking at car wrecks, or other tragedies. There's a reason this kind of news "sells."

It's been this way forever...even before the Internet, and it's not going to change.

Bonnie and Clyde? Anyone remember their victims?

Tom 12-16-2012 03:15 PM

Let's focus on the guns and once again ignore the real problems.
But we will all feel good about things, and after all, isn't the the point of it all?

PaceAdvantage 12-16-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshift1

BTW, I just read a very recent article that did not state this:

Quote:

The rifle used was a Bushmaster .223-caliber, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation who was not authorized to speak about it and talked on condition of anonymity. The gun is commonly seen at competitions and was the type used in the 2002 sniper killings in the Washington, D.C., area. Also found in the school were two handguns, a Glock 10 mm and a Sig Sauer 9 mm.
Quote:

Lanza shot his mother, Nancy Lanza, to death at the home they shared Friday, then drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School in her car with at least three of her guns, forced his way in by breaking a window and opened fire, authorities said.
http://news.msn.com/us/conn-gunman-s...ties-closed-in

Robert Goren 12-16-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
Let's focus on the guns and once again ignore the real problems.
But we will all feel good about things, and after all, isn't the the point of it all?

Exactly what do you think is the real problems are?

PaceAdvantage 12-16-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goren
We all know how this poll is going to go.;) The anti-gun laws people make up most of the posters this board.

Oh look...once again (so far), you are wrong. What a shock.

Who makes up most of the posters on this board again? I keep telling you guys you are clueless when it comes to KNOWING what you THINK those opposite you THINK, but you never heed my words.

TJDave 12-16-2012 04:46 PM

IMO, it should be much more difficult to buy weapons and ammunition. The background check is TOTAL BS.